Coffee Shop XXXIII 06/21/12

I just looked in on the Bachmann boxcar I have soaking in the alcohol. So far no apparent harm to the car nor to the paint. That was some pretty tough stuff I was using around twenty-five years ago. Krylon gray primer I think.
"Doctor Frank, the patient has been soaking in the alcohol all day....and shows no sign of being harmed so far". "Ok then.....just leave him soak for another few hours....we may have to mix up a stronger batch of solution". :p

railfan
(N scale hobo)

Photos of the aforementioned wall:

DSCN2445.jpg

DSCN2453.jpg

Here's something you don't see every day. A Great Dane and a Pit Bull eating watermelon:

DSCN2451.jpg

DSCN2448.jpg

Photos taken with Nikon L20 June 23, 2012

"Doctor Frank, the patient has been soaking in the alcohol all day....and shows no sign of being harmed so far". "Ok then.....just leave him soak for another few hours....we may have to mix up a stronger batch of solution". :p

railfan
(N scale hobo)
Well I had it in to soak for twelve hours and 91% alcohol didn't even faze the paint. Model is unharmed as well.

Time for me to call it a night. I popped the two cabooses back into the alcohol (new and clean) to dissolve what's left of the paint. They look a bit tacky with bits of paint sticking off at all angles. It's been my experience that Bachmann models can take a long time to be stripped. I've had to leave some HO models in to soak for forty-eight hours or more with no harm to the plastic. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN2453.jpg

Morning gang!:D

Gonna be playing karate kid today, the deck on the back of the house needs sanding, and my youngest son is nowhere to be found. :( I was intending on having a little fun with "Daniel sahn, sand de floor!" Instead, Daniel goes to work and leaves it up to Poppa sahn and Momma sahn. He dont know WE will be using electric sanders! :p After all, we didnt get this old by being stupid, did we??:D

On the other side, I just realized this morning that I will be just a few hours away from Spencer N.C. on July 3rd and 4th when NS "gathers" all the heritage units for group photos!! Gonna have to modify the vacation plans slightly,but I think all will work out!!

Jeffrey, that wall looks awesome, and the pool inviting!:D
JP, welcome to the forum! I saw your "history":rolleyes: and I can say, you are a fellow sicko (I too had 914's, but I matured) Put all that time into a layout, and you'll have sumptin! :D
Well, adios for now muchachos, it's almost 8 am, time to wake the neighbors!! :D:D

JP, welcome to the forum! I saw your "history":rolleyes: and I can say, you are a fellow sicko (I too had 914's, but I matured) Put all that time into a layout, and you'll have sumptin! :D

Guilty!
I really didn't think anybody would read that thread....or admit to it.:D
I intend to put an equal amount of time & effort (but not money) into my RR. I'm blessed(?) with the belief that I can build anything as well about any body.....given my assets are equal......but willing to be proven wrong.

Matured? It sounds like you're another big kid playing with trains like me.:D

Good morning. It's 83° and partly cloudy. The high will be 98° and it will be mostly sunny.

I have to do some clean up work on the layout today. There's one outdoor job to get done. Changing out the left front turn/park light bulb on the van. Other than that it's just relax, watch some movies and run some trains.

P1011185.jpg

Darn Jeffrey, you moved the pool off the screen; I was all set to take a splash.
BTW: that is one outstanding divider wall. I don't think I have ever seen a circular walk-though.

We have another 100+ day and our yard is well prepared for cactus. Our city water is just too expensive for watering. It is one to one charge, i.e. one gallon water charged = one gallon sewage charged at the same rate, up to $75.

All have a very nice day! :)

How ya'll doin, got a treat for you CP fans

I just found this showing a K1 class CP steam loco being built, fantastic stuff for 1928

[YOUTUBE]NcbTXlMSCwk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Darn Jeffrey, you moved the pool off the screen; I was all set to take a splash.
BTW: that is one outstanding divider wall. I don't think I have ever seen a circular walk-though.
That's called a moon gate. Very big in Jamaica and they were the rage in the 70's. Soon after it was built the post office made a change to our address. They added Jamaica Court to the rural route # - on their own. There used to be a steel ring in it that supported the bricks but it rusted out long ago.

After all, we didnt get this old by being stupid, did we??:D
Karl, you're never too old to do something stupid.
I'm still not sure if I'm going to be attending the family portrait event, for 30 bucks to look at some brand-new-ish diesels seems kind of steep. Of course, it is for a good cause, since our state has now mandated the museum must be self-sustaining.

Time for me to call it a night. I thought I might get more than one question about the moon gate in last nights photo. Guess that's what I get for thinking. Only work on the layout was putting a bulb in the cab of one of the GP9's, a Frankenstein naturally. It's the third loco in a consist of three and runs long hood forward. The light blinks on and off as the train travels around the layout. Just seemed like something to do. The fun was mounting it so it doesn't light up the whole cab, just the headlight. I also changed out a turn signal bulb on the van. It was burned out as I had figured. Smoke had chromed the entire inner surface of the bulb. Went to my parents place today for lunch. Two bowls of pinto beans, three big pieces of corn bread and five green onions topped off a couple hours later with a good sized piece of watermelon. Good thing I live alone. Any bugs in the house will be dead by morning due to biological warfare. See y'all tomorrow.

P1011184.jpg

Hi All! Good to see soooooo much activity in the coffee shop. :p Great job on the wall pictures Jeffrey. I liked the dogs eating watermelon too. Let us know what the bug body count is, if you report in for the morning.

Good morning. It's 81° and partly cloudy. The high will be 100° and it'll be mostly sunny.

Had a train running while I was typing this but the click-clack of wheels on the rail joints was getting annoying, so I put it in neutral and let it coast to a stop. I'll restart it after I've finished here.

The temp is due to hit the century mark today. I think it may be a good time to clean the a/c filter or replace it whichever the case may be. I use fiberglass mat filters that I cut to size to fit the unit. It's cheaper than the thin piece of crap screen filter the unit came with and works 500% better. All the screen filter does now is keep the fiberglass out of the coils.

Layout front: General cleanup that wasn't done yesterday. Maybe it'll get done today. I've still got the Y6B on my display shelf waiting to be packed for a trade for some items. I don't mind steamers but they're a bit out of my general era. Besides, I already have several that do nothing but hold the display track down.

Outside work: What? Are you kidding? I'm not going out there unless I have to.

DSCN2445.jpg

Happy Monday from high up in the control tower of central ohio's oldest make-believe train yard. 68* degrees is the temperature with a comfortable high of 74* likely in the hours to come. There was a fairly serious train collision with at least one fatality in oklahoma yesterday.

railfan
prairie ranger

Happy Monday from high up in the control tower of central ohio's oldest make-believe train yard. 68* degrees is the temperature with a comfortable high of 74* likely in the hours to come. There was a fairly serious train collision with at least one fatality in oklahoma yesterday.

railfan
prairie ranger

It sure looks like it was serious as cars seemed to be pushed over to the cement loading dock in the Left foreground and leaning besides!

Good Afternoon All,
Hi Flo and Francine, I have some coffee and toast, some Sour Dough, if you have some or Rye would even better. and peanut butter and and Strawberry jelly sure sounds good.

It's a very nice day out here, sunny about 75* with a lite breeze of about 3 mph. This is good practice on calling the wind for shooting.

I guess I kind of had the Summer dull-drums as I haven't done much on the layout but a few little things but should get around to it again soon.

Have a good day.

Back