Coffee Shop XXXIII 06/21/12

Railfan: Assuming you have already loaded images to http://photobucket.com/ ... Hover over the picture in Photobucket.
4 links will open under the picture.
The bottom link is labeled "IMG code" Click on THAT one.
Then place the cursor in the reply box where you want the image and paste the link there.
There is no need to use any tools at the top.
Photobucket is free and easy to use.

Railfan: Assuming you have already loaded images to http://photobucket.com/ ... Hover over the picture in Photobucket.
4 links will open under the picture.
The bottom link is labeled "IMG code" Click on THAT one.
Then place the cursor in the reply box where you want the image and paste the link there.
There is no need to use any tools at the top.
Photobucket is free and easy to use.
Thanks Jeffrey, I'll sign up with photobucket.

Mike

While digging through the cupboards looking for gondolas I found two old Bachmann 50' flatcars. Two twenty-eight foot containers plus two flatcars equals problem solved. One of the flats had two twenty foot containers on it. They got stuffed into an old Tyco gondola. They both fit perfectly and look good there.

P1011364.jpg

P1011365.jpg

P1011367.jpg

Scrap iron anybody?

P1011369.jpg

There's a bunch of heavy equipment going somewhere.

jeffery i have seen so many pics of your layout , bits & pieces , can you post up an overall shot of your layout/trackplan :D:D:D

This is the general track plan only slightly changed since it was drawn up. The curves are all 18" radius. Most of the turnouts are #4's. All the track is Bachmann EZ-Track.

layout2.jpg

This video shows a train going around the layout forward and backward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mornin gang!!:D

At last, a Saturday! Crew coming at 8 to clean the chimney, the its off to the local VFD for their HUGE flea market (mebbe some trains there?:rolleyes:) then some r-e-l-a-x-i-n!!!!
Nothin else scheduled, nothin else planned, whatever happens, happens today!:D:D:D

Good morning. It's 81° with 84% humidity. It already feels like 88. The high will be 95° but will feel like 110. It will be partly cloudy.

Later today, if I feel up to it I'll go and check out the tractor to see what kind of repairs it needs. I'm hoping it won't need a new transaxle. No layout work planned for today.

P4190139.jpg

jeffery i have seen so many pics of your layout , bits & pieces , can you post up an overall shot of your layout/trackplan :D:D:D
Here's some shots showing the layout soon after most of the scenery was down.

DSCN1181.jpg

DSCN1182.jpg

DSCN1183.jpg

DSCN1178.jpg

DSCN1184.jpg

DSCN1176.jpg

P1011463.jpg

And here's where the layout is located. The layout is in the front half (right) and I live in the back half (left). Tiny isn't it?
P1011603-2.jpg

Well, when it rains it..........goes BOOM! Yesterday, I had Carey and another MR over for an Op session. Carey was fiddling with a loco on the workbench, Warren was on the layout, and I was setting-up a train route on the computer. We heard thunder in the not-so-far distance, but didn't think much of it. Then KABOOOOOOOOOM and the lights went out, then back on. All of us were completely stunned by the brilliance of the flash and noise. Lightning just hit a large tree 10 feet from the door of my shop and Carey and I were only 5 feet inside from there.

We were all ok, but it got several of my electronic items that were on or plugged in. So far: DCS-200 command station, shop Sony 32" HD TV, house Sony HD 52" TV, Shop Computer, Drill Battery Charger, and one Light Ballast. Suspected damage: 4 DTS400 throttles, two DirecTV receivers, Blu-Ray disc player, other layout electronics, and who knows what else. This is going to be a replace and see what happens kinda thing. I will probably lose the tree that is a 3 foot diameter pine and could cost around $1500 to remove. All this should be covered by my Homeowners Insurance, but only after my $1000.00 deductible.
:(:(:(:(

That was a close call Rex! I hope everything can be replaced with little cost to you. I've had close hits like that myself but haven't lost anything but a cheap printer and an old stereo (1993) due to my use of surge protectors and having set my trailer up like a Faraday cage. I've had a little St Elmo's fire inside the trailer from a direct hit but that's it. I lost the printer and stereo when I was living in an old motor home that wasn't well grounded.

Went to town earlier to get some gas to last for what little is left of the month. $25 got me a little over seven and a half gallons. That gives me what I need plus a little extra. Maybe I'll be able to afford a new windshield wiper motor next month. It only costs about $50 I don't have.

Today I got what should be my final Abraham Lincoln commemorative coin and a certificate of ownership of an entire collection from the American Mint. It's taken it's place in the coin case with other Abraham Lincoln coins, the 1854 gold double eagle and the 1933 'Liberty' twenty dollar gold piece.

P1011373.jpg

Where I live the power lines for the apartment buildings are underground......until out by the road several hundred feet from me they come out of the ground and go up overhead on power poles. We have intense lightning and thunder often. Sometimes I turn computer off during storms and other times I just unplug the charger cord from my laptop so I can't get zapped if a lightning strike would somehow come through the buried power lines. I think they are probably well grounded but with lightning I maintain a cautious attitude. I have everything on APC surge protectors and UPS. Lucky so far.

Mike

Well, when it rains it..........goes BOOM! Yesterday, I had Carey and another MR over for an Op session. Carey was fiddling with a loco on the workbench, Warren was on the layout, and I was setting-up a train route on the computer. We heard thunder in the not-so-far distance, but didn't think much of it. Then KABOOOOOOOOOM and the lights went out, then back on. All of us were completely stunned by the brilliance of the flash and noise. Lightning just hit a large tree 10 feet from the door of my shop and Carey and I were only 5 feet inside from there.

We were all ok, but it got several of my electronic items that were on or plugged in. So far: DCS-200 command station, shop Sony 32" HD TV, house Sony HD 52" TV, Shop Computer, Drill Battery Charger, and one Light Ballast. Suspected damage: 4 DTS400 throttles, two DirecTV receivers, Blu-Ray disc player, other layout electronics, and who knows what else. This is going to be a replace and see what happens kinda thing. I will probably lose the tree that is a 3 foot diameter pine and could cost around $1500 to remove. All this should be covered by my Homeowners Insurance, but only after my $1000.00 deductible.
:(:(:(:(
Oh Rex,,,bummer!! Isn't the CSXroadslug on his way to you soon??

Had a little failure here today too, my A/C!!
However, before I was about to start calling repairmen and seeing which one was going to hurt me the least, the wife found our old ALS home warranty. Seems as if it expires at midnight tonight!!! We called in the claim immediately! :eek: The repair service wont be out til Monday, but it will only cost us $100.00 bucks:D
Til the, if I get too bad, let me know, I'll try to get downwind from ya!;)
Funny thing is we have another warranty from our utility company on the a/c, but it doesnt start til sometime next month!

Actually Jeffrey, I add a bit more. :D Don't have any Da bomb sauce here, but we do have Dave's insanity sauce. :eek:
You'll have to do better. Dave's Insanity sauce is 500,000 Scoville units. Da-Bomb is 1,500,000 Scoville units. Tabasco by itself is a mere 5,000 Scoville units and a habanero is 350,000 Scoville units.

Back