Good Morning...

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

anim_coffee.png

:cool:

Wig-wag.png

Tipton.gif

TIPTON

Good Morning

We be up and at 'em today..a few chainsaws already poking at the uprooted trees and such...power was restored late last night to most residences...it was a fun evening here...today? Temperature going up to 77F with no humidity...

As well, I get to go to the hospital for more treatments....yay

Good morning. It's 76° and partly cloudy. The high will be 95°.

My vision is much better today, We'll see how long that lasts through the day. I currently have an experiment running concerning N Scale cars and 91% alcohol. They soaked for twelve hours then were taken out and set on a paper towel without rinsing. There they'll sit until 8:00 pm undisturbed and we'll see what happens. The victims are a Bachmann caboose, a Life-Like Proto caboose and just for laughs a Micro Machines Trains passenger car. One immediate result is that as soon as the alcohol on the Bachmann car evaporated it started to peel like a sunburned sunbather.

I think today I'll run the H24-66 and the U30EM645. They're my two biggest pullers and are near the limit of my 18" radius curves. Other than that and a little layout cleanup work I won't be doing much today unless something unscheduled crops up.

DSCN2314.jpg

I currently have an experiment running concerning N Scale cars and 91% alcohol. They soaked for twelve hours then were taken out and set on a paper towel without rinsing. There they'll sit until 8:00 pm undisturbed and we'll see what happens. The victims are a Bachmann caboose, a Life-Like Proto caboose and just for laughs a Micro Machines Trains passenger car.
Are you going to use the N scale cars on a layout or just as lab rats for chemical paint stripping experiments?

railfan
(mike)
N scale hacker

I left my air conditioner on all night with the front door open......and it's ten degrees cooler outside today. Worked better than I thought. Now I'm dreading my next electric bill.

railfan
prairie based
N scale drifter

Are you going to use the N scale cars on a layout or just as lab rats for chemical paint stripping experiments?

railfan
(mike)
N scale hacker
I don't do N Scale anymore. I built a few N Scale layouts in the 80's but the stuff was hard to get here then. They're leftovers and get used for different things.

Good afternoon folks.

It's 78 and sunny here right now. It's a perfect day to be stuck inside at work! At least we have the doors open and have a whole wall of windows to look out. Come to think of it, I may just need to go outside and clean those windows for an hour or so!

I haven't done anything train related since the passenger car project. I'm missing the much needed distraction of trains in my life right now. Monday, my wife and I find out if she's pregnant and there is a sealed offer for the store sitting in the mail pile. I'm sure it will be counter offered, I just hope they aren't too far off. There is talk of closing the store if it's not sold since the lease is up and the current owner wants to retire. My wife is on the verge of tears even talking about what the results of the pregnancy test will be. I keep reminding her that there are worse phone calls to get than learning you're not pregnant. You could say I'm on edge right now. I could find out in a few days that my wife is pregnant and I'm going to be out of a job. I guess that's the best and worst case scenario all together. No matter what happens, I can find another job and we can adopt. I need a drink.

Other than that, nothing much is going on.

Have a good day everyone.

I was going to tell you about my paper cut, but it just doesn't seem too important now.

82 and sunny in SoCal. We're supposed to be between 80 and 88 the next several days.

This should give you a hint as to which movie I'm watching today:
thumbnail.aspx

An additional hint? Guest star Paul Lynde. And here's a freebie, Buster Keaton.

Thanks guys. I didn't mean to sound so dramatic, but it is certainly a stressful day. The offer for the store was in fact very low. Low to the point that it even ticked me off, let alone the owner. I had to remind myself that it is a starting place, not an ending place. On the other note, my wife is seeing signs(you know, the monthly kind) that is telling her she is not pregnant. We won't know for sure until Monday so it's going to be a long weekend. I decided that when I get home I'll turn the trains on and have a beer. That should help a little.

Thanks again for the well wishes.

Good morning. It's 73° and partly cloudy. Forecast says mostly cloudy by late afternoon. The high will be 95°. Looks like the high through the 28th will be 98°.

Well on my experiment on the effects of 91% alcohol on N Scale rolling stock I can report either success or failure depending on what you think it did. I put two N Scale cabooses (Bachmann SF and Life-Like P2K L&N) and an old Micro Machines passenger car in to soak for twelve hours at the end of which I pulled them out and set them on a paper towel to dry without rinsing. They've sat out in the open air for around twenty hours now and show absolutely no sign of deformity. Even the handrails were not effected. The paint was effectively stripped with no damage to the models. In that it was a success. The intent was to see if the plastic would deformed and in that it was a failure as it's not deformed in any way. Nor is it brittle. I've seen many reports from modelers stating that soaking in alcohol dissolved their model but it should be noted that they had already tried other methods and the result they got could have been due to a chain reaction of chemicals. I'm now performing the same experiment on a Bachmann boxcar. Note that it went into the alcohol at 7:10 am. Therefore 7:10 pm this evening will be twelve hours.

P1011183.jpg

Now as to why I'm late posting the results it couldn't be helped. Natural causes as my nephew would say. At 4:30 pm yesterday the cable went out and remained out until about 5:00 this morning. Seems Suddenlink is back in their habit of providing 'good' service that at best is total crap. So I had no internet, no home phone service with the exception of a free cell phone I got for emergency use only. More to the point my mother had no TV, no internet, no phone. What if she had to call someone regarding a medical emergency? I've had it up to the tops of my ears with this company and their lame excuses about their service. When it works it works albeit barely in many cases. Often times I have just enough upload speed to enable my VOIP phone service to work (minimum 128 kbps required) and I'm on broadband cable. There's no excuse for that!

P1011181.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning All! Not too much going on here. I'm thinking about making some Southern Beer Bread in my Wagner #7 Dutch Oven. Have to try and not set the grass on fire............those Broake & Howe boys aren't fast with a hose unless it's attached to a beer keg. :eek: :rolleyes: :p :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I just looked in on the Bachmann boxcar I have soaking in the alcohol. So far no apparent harm to the car nor to the paint. That was some pretty tough stuff I was using around twenty-five years ago. Krylon gray primer I think.

Welcome JP to the Coffee Shop: the talk is about anything and tales are accepted as the norm.

DANG it is a HOT one today. We've got 100+ and haven't had rain in a month. I hope the future "Debbie" can sling some rain up our way before cactus starts to grow.

Welcome JP to the Coffee Shop: the talk is about anything and tales are accepted as the norm.

DANG it is a HOT one today. We've got 100+ and haven't had rain in a month. I hope the future "Debbie" can sling some rain up our way before cactus starts to grow.
We'll be having temps like that here in another week or two. If we get some rain with it it'll be OK but if not we'll be able to melt rocks together. This June has been pretty nice but I remember well the June of '73. The temp was in the low 90's but the humidity was like 95 percent! Rainfall had been 0.11". Wanna hear the kicker? My father and I were out in the back yard building a brick wall on the east side of the pool in the heat of the day. We had to keep adding water to the mortar every couple of minutes to keep it from setting up on us and that was freshly mixed. We had to move fast or the mortar was useless in just a matter of minutes.

Back