Coffee Shop XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like the rest of the south is getting quite a bit of rain but the amount we've gotten here in the last month can be measured out under an inch.

CJ I hope you, Rex and Mikey and the rest of the BAMA gang are all OK.
I have been working my self to death trying to get the garage back together. While we had it emptied we decided to strip all of the walls and ceiling of the nasty looking drywall and redo it with new. The ceiling had 3/8" drywall running with the ceiling joists instead of across them. When I got on the ladder to check it out it almost fell off with out me hardly touching it. It came down for the most part if 4 X 8 sheets. When I hauled off the old siding form the front porch, the old drywall and some of that exterior celotex that was still on the wall in the garage it weighed over 1000#. No wonder I was tired that evening. Hand loaded each piece and hand off loaded it also then I came home and mowed the yard after which I went in the garage and built two gates for the new fence that is being installed in the back yard. Today we got most of the fence posts concreted in with tomorrow starting of with the last 8 post being installed and the panels on the sides we got done today. By Sat my contractor should be outta here and we can get back to normal whatever the heck that is. Hope to have the garage interior finished up next week also.

Was on my way to check the mail today, van wouldn't start. Easy fix. Used Dremel with wire brush to clean posts and clamps. Started right up after that.

Hi Rex,

Hope this finds You, Carolyn Your daughter safe and well? In trying to get your phone number I was given a Helen Heacock and I assume that is a relative too and hope they are safe and well too?
May God be with you!

Corey, I hope your safe too along with all your family & relatives.
May God be with you!

I wonder how Jim fared out in all of this?

It a tragic thing when disaster strikes like this.

Take care, talk with you later,

David

CJ & Mikey - glad to hear you guys are okay. Any word from Rex or Grandeman (Eric)?

I was suppose to come up this weekend, but will put it off for a week to let things settle down some.

Glenn

Smart move!

Ya, good electrical connection is what it takes. Also ensure you have a clean ground connection that is making good contact on the engine block usually.

Was on my way to check the mail today, van wouldn't start. Easy fix. Used Dremel with wire brush to clean posts and clamps. Started right up after that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone. Some of you may remember me from way back. I haven't been on in some time. I came here to check on Rex and the rest of the folks in Alabama. I see from the above post that no one has heard from them. I tried to email Rex, but I haven't been in touch in a while and I don't know if the email address I have for him is still good. Anyway, I was just concerned as the damage reports keep coming in on the news. Hopefully everyone made it through okay. Dave

04/29/2011

Good Morning ! from Tipton IN.
anim_coffee.png
anim_snoopy.png
1.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png

:eek:

Hello Gator Dave and others,
I also emailed Rex earlier and also called directory service to get his phone# and found out he lives in Northport which is directly North of Tuscaloosa and that may be bad news as from what I read the Tornado was a mile wide and moved North all the way up to New York!! Not wishing anyone else any harm I only hope Rex didn't live in it's path??

Rex did post earlier and said the storm last night was very scary indeed. It's very possible that due to the power outage he is unable to post which I think and hope is the case!
His email address is:
His phone # is:

May God have mercy on all the families and individuals that have lost loved ones.

Out here in Calif most every one is really concerned about bad Earthquakes and fishers forming as the ground can split wide open and swollow whole homes or even big buildings if that happens. Either way Tornados or Earthquakes it's a bad experience
and all you can do is try and avoid it if there's time to react which in either case can be very limited and restrained by the actual situation itself. Time to Pray for every ones safety! Listen to me sounding like a preacher when I'm far from being that way.
Again God Bless everyone.

David,
Thanks. That is the email address that I have. I remember after hurricane Ivan hit, when we lived in Florida, the power was out for nine or ten days. Hopefully that is all that it is.
Dave

Ya, good electrical connection is what it takes. Also ensure you have a clean ground connection that is making good contact on the engine block usually.
It was so funny when I put the battery in last year. My nephew was telling me there was no way a side post battery was going to work with top post clamps. I put a pair of charging posts on it and connected the clamps and dropped his jaw right on the ground. He hadn't thought of that.

Talked to Rex and he is fine. His internet is out.
No word from Grandeman. Don't know how close he was to any of the storms. But I hope he came thru OK.

Death toll is up to 231 just for our state.

Hi Everyone!
Thank you for trying to contact me and all of your concerns. We are fine and very lucky to have power on this side of the river. We are actually located across the river from the Tuscaloosa downtown business area and in Northport. We just today got the phone and (very slow) internet back in service; both are on Comcast and their main facility was very near the tornado’s path. However and just before the storm hit, I forwarded the home phone to my cell phone, but the cell service became very flakey because of towers being knocked down and so many others trying to use them.

As we know now, all of our friends and family are safe. My wife's cousin just barely escaped by leaving his work 20 minutes before it tore into his place of work doing extensive damage. One of Carolyn's co-workers was killed along with her two small children and two other workers lost their homes and all belongings.

The track of the tornado was about 4-5 miles south of us through the heart of the city. We were in the hallway and listening to the police scanner when one of the patrolmen radioed that he believed it was heading toward the downtown or going to cross the river. At that point, I felt sure we were going to be hit. Considering all the many times I’ve been in a “safe” place during a storm, this time was the only time that I felt real fear. Fortunately, it turned a few degrees and missed us. That thing was huge, as you probably have seen on TV.

It came in approximately at the west/southwest area of the city and destroyed most everything all the way to the northeast end of the city. I’m not sure, but that distance is probably 6-7 miles, maybe more. The TV news seems focused on the “Rosedale Community”. It is not a community, but a part of the city referred to simply as Rosedale. This was the first heavily populated area hit and although near totally destroyed, it was not the worst. There was another area called Alberta where the rescue effort had to be done on foot until late yesterday evening. Fortunately, the tornado skirted the outside of the University by a few blocks and our very large regional hospital by only ~300 yards. I believe the latest count is 38 dead and near 1000 injured, many severely. Still many missing and they expect more deaths.

Fellows, it is unreal to see the damage at ground level; nothing like what you see on TV. Today, they have started using cadaver dogs in the wreckage to try and locate the missing. I haven't tried to get into the path area, but I have seen the Rosedale section from I359 that goes through that area. Absolutely heartbreaking; you feel almost faint when looking at the destruction. They still don't know the extent of damage out into the rural areas of the county.

One very disgusting thing was looters. These low-life scum bags began there pillage within an hour of the tornado. They even caught some stealing copper from the rubble.

I will try to catch up on all your emails and the posts a little later. I thank you again and apologize for not getting all of your phone calls.
The Best, REX

I just found out that the people at a restaurant, that was located dead-center in the path, all got into the cooler for safety. Now, there is no cooler there and they haven't been able to find it. Also, my wife came home and said that in addition to the one death of a co-worker, there were now four co-workers that lost their homes and one has her husband in intensive care with a steel rod in his chest.

Out here in Calif most every one is really concerned about bad Earthquakes and fishers forming as the ground can split wide open and swollow whole homes or even big buildings
I don't worry too much about that sort of thing, and I live less than a mile from the San Andreas Fault. I doubt things would ever be swallowed up in fissures, but they can certainly get shaken apart. We survived the Loma Prieta Quake in 1989, and sufferd $75K damage to our house. You fix it and move on. Fortunately, all we have to deal with is the shaking. The tsunamis are the real killers from earthquakes.

One very disgusting thing was looters. These low-life scum bags began there pillage within an hour of the tornado. They even caught some stealing copper from the rubble.
Simple. Shoot them on sight. (Too bad we can't.)

Rex, glad you came thru the storm okay! A friend of mine that lives north of Gadsden said he found a piece of paper from the Tuscaloosa courthouse in his yard.

I assume Bill Barger is okay since he lives north of you????

CJ and Rex, at one of the ARG meetings we went to a layout in the Pratt City area. I can't remember the gentlemans name. I think he was a friend of Eric's. Hope he is okay.

Has anyone heard from William?

Glenn

Hello All. Yes,I did survive the night and day of storms. The damage was my power was off from early Wed. Morning to around 2:30am Thursday. Other than that,I am okay,just tired. Also,I have spoken with Grandeman,and said they came through the storms okay. Although one tornado did come awfully close to them. William.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back