Coffee Shop XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
We now have someone famous in our midst!!!:D

All bow down to Eric the First!!!!
:D:rolleyes:

This morning,(Sat) on NPR's Weekend Edition! He gave a brief synopsis on the history of iron mining in and around Birmingham. He showed the reporter some of his "haunts" on Red Mountain here.

Good Job there Eric!
:eek:WOW!:eek: I know a celeb!
Knowing Eric, I would bet he enjoyed every minute promoting the history.
Way-to-go Ranger Eric! :)

And now another exciting episode of "Terry's Day at the Train Club"...:p
I knew it was going to be one of those days when I got there and the lock to the front door was broken. After we got inside, we found electrical gremlins had knocked out one of the main lines on the N scale layout, and the HO layout was again doing its "move forward half an inch and overload" thing it does so well. We finally used a pair of my Genesis F units to pull the track cleaning train around the layout while we tried figuring out what would work and run, and what wouldn't. While doing that, I heard my train stopping and starting, like there was a short. I crawled out from under the layout in time to see my two F's go rumbling by, with the second unit trailing a cloud of smoke :eek::eek::eek: We shut everything down, and found that somebody (whoever it was wouldn't 'fess up) had switched the voltage settings from 14.5 volts to 22.5 volts. I switched that back and pulled my train off the layout for inspection. Looks like the sound decoder and motor are both a total write-off. The decoder is a pile of melted solder, and the motor commutator is fused to the brushes. The shell has some minor distortion, but it isn't readily noticeable. I may scrap it entirely rather than attempting repair of it. It certainly doesn't smell good.
Then the GP38 I installed a sound decoder in started acting up, but that seems more a case of dirty wheels and track. More on that at a later time.
I did score a pair of Kato/Stewart F units, as well as a Key 3751 4-8-4. The 3751 is raw brass, and needs the rubber drive shaft replaced, but other than that, it's in brand-new condition. The price was right, and almost makes up for the carbonated F unit.

Im on the train right now, and I got lucky, I have a P42 on the head-end. We are going fast now, about 130kph, hopefully we wont get sided :)

02/28/2011

Good Morning ! from Tipton IN.
anim_coffee.png
anim_snoopy.png
1.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
Diner.png
menu_breakfast_1.png
waitress3.png

:cool:

Interesting night so far. Something flashing woke me up just before two AM. Looked out the window and there were three trucks with their yellow lights going to beat all. Looked at the alarm to see what time it were and the clock was black so the lights were out for how long I don't know. Now I cannot get back to sleep so here I is. Glendia just came into the puter room also not able to sleep. This morning and afternoon are going to be shall I say eventful. Every time I wake up like this the next day is strange. Start getting sleepy about 8AM sit in the chair at work and keep dozing and the boss gets some what upset but I just can't keep me eyes open. Get home and take a nap then cannot get to sleep that night. The thunder boomers have finally quieted down but there is still lightening flashing some where. The lightening is almost like a beacon or a lighthouse flashing every few seconds. I stood outside and looked for a flashing light a few seconds ago and it is all above the clouds. Very strange indeed at least to me it is. Now the rain has returned which it has been doing off and on since 9PM yesterday.

Larry, we are not having anything like you, but we just had a storm when we had temp at 81 and now, one hour later = 69*. Crazy weather!

Rex we had a quick temp drop also. At 2AM Columbus IN temp 70 degrees Lafayette IN temp 38. They are only about 80 miles apart, as the crow flies, and we are right in between them. Stood out on the front porch looking for a flashing light after the utility trucks had left and it was lightening above the clouds looking like a strobe light going off. It was spectacular sight at 2 in the morning for sure.

Our high here tomorrow will be ten degrees less than today's high but will be back up the day after. After that it'll be on the Georgia weather roller coaster.

Well my mother's condition took a turn this morning. She had to be rushed into the ER. No word yet. I'm usually the last to learn anything.

Our high here tomorrow will be ten degrees less than today's high but will be back up the day after. After that it'll be on the Georgia weather roller coaster.

Well my mother's condition took a turn this morning. She had to be rushed into the ER. No word yet. I'm usually the last to learn anything.
Well keep you and your mom in our thoughts.

It was 80 here until an hour ago, now it's 55 with thunderstorms and hail. A tornado warning was issued for the next county West of us, and it's raining pretty hard.

Anybody heard anything more on Jim? Just curious as it's been awhile since weve had any update, and I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering about him and hoping he's doing well.

Jeff- I'll send up alittle prayer for your mom.

All this talk about 80* weather, it was 42* today, heading for 22* by Thursday... Send some of that heat up here please, tomorrows march for cripes sake!

Have a good one everybody!

Well I found a box in the mail today that came in from Illinois. In it I found a paper bag of turf, a plastic bag of clump foliage, a bag of flowering trees, a bag of deadfall that will look right at home under the pine trees if my nephew doesn't try to roll it and smoke it first, a box of eight nice looking conifer trees, a bottle of green blended turf, half a bottle of gray blend fine ballast and maybe a couple of other things.

Good morning. It's sunny and 39 here. We'll see if anything got damaged at work when I get there. Nothing makes an Airstream owner or dealer more nervous than hearing about hail. Thousands of little dents all over a brand new trailer is not a good thing.

Good morning folks.

I have the day off with nothing on the agenda. I received my package of Evergreen shingles yesterday so I should be able to almost finish the barn. Actually,(here comes a rant), I ordered three items from Walthers and they shipped them in two packages. The third item was on back order, but the date was the day I ordered this stuff so I figured they would wait and ship together. Oh no, they shipped two in an envelope for $8.95 and then shipped the back ordered item two days later in a similar envelope for $3.00. I received both envelopes ON THE SAME DAY!:mad: Not to mention it took over a week to get here from Milwaukee.:eek: It's a five hour drive for God's sake. I'm usually happy with Walthers but this kind of pissed me off.(can you tell?):) Rant over!

I shouldn't get all bent out of shape, it's just annoying.

At least I have the day off!

Have a good day folks.

Damn, I ran out of shingles! I need a few other things from Walthers so I guess I'll need to be patient. Usually they're faster than last time so I hope I don't have to wait as long. My barn looks like it's going bald with just a little hair left on the sides! On to the next project I guess.

Good morning, high in the mid 30's today.

Not much is happening. Last week I finally got the had rails put on my F7 and painted. It looks really nice, I should get a couple of pictures and post them. Other things I've been working on is my Kadee truss log car and detailing an Accurail box car. I should get back to working on the layout so I can start laying track.

I better get off and do something.

Got my bills paid this morning, got the groceries and the meds. Gas for the van was fifty seven dollars. That was for a hair over seventeen gallons. Glad I wasn't on empty. That would have been ninety dollars! After all that I have a grand total of five dollars and fifty cents to play with. One thing I found that I could cut from the budget was my collision and rental insurance. There's no sense in carrying collision on a vehicle that thirty years old. An adjuster would just look at that and laugh. I know. That was one of my jobs back in the 80's. As for rental car insurance I haven't even THOUGHT about using that since August of 1999. Those two items will chop a third off the monthly premium and that's money that can be of use elsewhere.

Anybody heard anything more on Jim? Just curious as it's been awhile since weve had any update, and I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering about him and hoping he's doing well........
I guess Jim will be back when and if he is ready. He may be dealing with other priorities. I haven't been in contact with him for awhile.;)

Rex, Jeff, Corey How Ya'll doing on the cold side of the pond, nice sunny day here today, bit frosty now mind you.

I have been catchin rats for a week now at work, they are everywhere and have died in the most inapropriate places like under historic wooden and stone floors, but the stink !!! they had to be gotten out as we have visitors coming. And on top of that i have the cold from hell, at least it killed most of the smell, my co worker was almost sick today when i pulled out out from under the floor, it was truly evil.

I'll try and get some new layout pics this week sometime for ya'll

Go Eric Nice work fella

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back