Coffee Shop XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all

Sad to hear about the Pike river mine disaster in New Zealand, Ben Rockhouse is a young miner who managed to get out after the firedamp explosion to find his brother was trapped underground and his grandaddy had died of a heart attack due to the shock.

god bless the poor souls

Enjoy McWane Mikey just don't reach out and touch someone or we might be reading about some dirty ole man being arrested for for for oh well just behave yourself.

Good morning all from Ye Olde London Towne.

A cool, foggy, and very damp 7c to start and that's as warm or cold as its going to get all weekend. Its the weekend of the big Warley model railway exhibition in Birmingham. The club is there but I am not. A recent colon infection still lingers making it far to uncomfortable to drive or even sit upright on a train for the 2 hour trip.

Matt: Do they have any idea as to what your migraine trigger is? My wife suffered for many years before they figured it out it was caused by the sudden air pressure and humitity changes that are part of chinook winds along the eastern slope of the Rockies. Since we moved down to sea level and a humid climate she has had 2 in 7 years.

Jeffery: reading back through all your medical issues and problems I really have to say that I have a deep respect and admiration for you and your attitude. If I had to endure half of what you do I think I'd just curl up and wither away.

A quiet weekend is on the cards. I'm hoping to drop off some surplus clothing and household goods to the local hospice shop today and spend a few hours puttering in my shed. (aka the Gentlemen's Activity Centre) With luck I'll be able to plumb in a drain for the aircon/heat exchanger so I don't have to keep manually draining the dehumidifier tank. After that I've got a couple of kits ready for the spray booth and may actually make a start on ballasting the club modules. Hmm, maybe not such a quiet weeked.

Take care all and have a great weekend.

Andy- He reminded me about some of the common triggers, cheese, chocolate, ect. He also said i might not have any triggers, and its just something that will happen from time to time. I feel for your wife, i doubt ill ever need to relocate though. I routinely go from about 650ft elevation to 1800ft elevation about every other weekend, and never had any problems. I think it might have had something to do with football season ending, a couple weeks off of no sports, and then starting indoor track as a distance runner, maybe some kind of shock to my body to go from little activity to running a couple miles a day. Then again im not a doctor. :D

I guess ill be a jack of all trades today. First looks like ill be playing mailman, and delivery boy while out doing errands, then it sounds like ill be playing lumberjack with my dad as the oak outback needs to be cut down. And if everything goes as planned i might be playing great white hunter and go hunting with my friend tonight.

Hoping a package arrives today too, because i cause it has to be signed for.

Rant

While this is not a life-or-death issue like some things, it is an annoyance.
Tomorrow there is a train show and swap meet in Winston-Salem. Unfortunately, I don't know where it is, and don't know if I can find it. There are only directions on the flyer I got. No address. This is the third show/swap meet I have known about, but couldn't attend, because whoever held the show couldn't be bothered to give an address, or even a phone number. Instead of having a physical address to plug into my GPS, or look at a map, all I have is "It's at the old so-and-so place, where such-and-such used to be". No other contact info, either, so I can't call and get an address.
The first one was in Lynchburg, and I got lost trying to follow the directions given, spent an hour trying to find the place, the phone number given didn't work. The second show, I never did find, and gave up and went home.
So, I'm off tomorrow to find a train show, using nothing but a crude hand drawn map that was on the flyer, and a big "X" where the show is. If I find the place, I am going to go to the trouble of finding whoever printed the flyer, and have a "chat" with him. IMHO, "Go down US52 to where Mr. Smith's tree got struck by lightning ten years ago, and turn left" is not good directions.:mad:

Good morning folks.

Well, my wife and I are continuing down the IVF(In Vitro Fertilization) road. Yesterday we did the egg retrieval and I gave my "sample".:eek: We go back in three to five days for the implantation of the embryo. If all goes well, then she'll be pregnant by the end of the month. This certainly has been a trying two years with her health problems and resulting infertility. Let's just hope it wasn't a waste of fifteen grand! If we have a baby then it's a drop in the bucket.:)

On the modeling front, I made a little progress yesterday. I painted the sidewalk for the building kits and added grout lines for the buildings. Not bad for a day that wasn't suppose to have any modeling. I'm home early tonight so I hope to add some of the glass to these kits. We'll see if the spirit moves me in that direction.

I also got my Lionel running the other night. It sure was sluggish at first, but once the lube worked it's way into the gears it ran like a top. It's kind of fun just to watch it whip around in circles. I can't wait to put it under the Christmas tree.

Well, I hope everyone has a great weekend. I think I'm driving to St. Paul tomorrow for the World's Greatest Hobby show. My wife has to work so she thinks I should go by myself. I think spending an afternoon surrounded by all things trains sounds like a wonderful idea!

I'm off to work.

Jeffery: reading back through all your medical issues and problems I really have to say that I have a deep respect and admiration for you and your attitude. If I had to endure half of what you do I think I'd just curl up and wither away.
I consider my medical problems to be just another hurdle to get over. I've simply had to adjust my activities accordingly and realize what my limitations are.

Tomorrow there is a train show and swap meet in Winston-Salem. Unfortunately, I don't know where it is, and don't know if I can find it. There are only directions on the flyer I got. No address. This is the third show/swap meet I have known about, but couldn't attend, because whoever held the show couldn't be bothered to give an address, or even a phone number. Instead of having a physical address to plug into my GPS, or look at a map, all I have is "It's at the old so-and-so place, where such-and-such used to be". No other contact info, either, so I can't call and get an address.
.:mad:

Terry,
IS this the one your talking about??:confused::confused::confused:

November 21, 2010
Thompson's Old Fashioned Model Train Show
Hanes Hosiery Community Recreation Center
Reynolds Boulevard at Akron, off US 52 Exit 112
Winston-Salem, NC

Show Hours: 10:00am – 3:00pm

Admission: $4.00, Children 10 – 12: $1.00, Under 10 Free

This show will feature operating model train layouts and model railroad vendors. Door prize and food concession. Free parking. For more information contact D. Thompson at 517-304-0638

Hey, the place has a web page!!:D

http://www.cityofws.org/Home/Departments/RecreationAndParks/RecreationCenters/Articles/HanesHosiery

Even if its not the one you were planning on, it still doesnt seem to be a bad way to spend some time!!!

We've got a local Lions Club show tomorrow here, but I think I'm gonna skip it. #1, the show has never been very big and #2 the final NASCAR race of the season is on. I'd rather stay home on the couch and be entertained than be elbow to elbow with the Geritol Generation fighting over some overpriced junk. :rolleyes::D;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. It's 54 and mostly cloudy. The high should be 73 and it will remain mostly cloudy.

Had to go to town this morning to get a new roll of solder. 60/40 rosin core .050". I usually use a lead free type but they didn't have it in stock. I had to pick up a few other things also so it was a fairly good errand run. I also grabbed a 50 count box of Christmas lights. This will be cut up and used for structure lighting. I figure that they're 2.4 volts each so 3 in series on 5 volts should be good.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/P1011217.jpg

I just got talked into working tomorrow by the boss. Apparently they want the varsity(me) to sell tomorrow instead of the B squad(part timers). No train show for me.:mad: Oh well, I'll make money tomorrow instead of spend it.

Terry,
IS this the one your talking about??:confused::confused::confused:

November 21, 2010
Thompson's Old Fashioned Model Train Show
Hanes Hosiery Community Recreation Center
Reynolds Boulevard at Akron, off US 52 Exit 112
Winston-Salem, NC

Show Hours: 10:00am – 3:00pm

Admission: $4.00, Children 10 – 12: $1.00, Under 10 Free

This show will feature operating model train layouts and model railroad vendors. Door prize and food concession. Free parking. For more information contact D. Thompson at 517-304-0638

Hey, the place has a web page!!:D

http://www.cityofws.org/Home/Departments/RecreationAndParks/RecreationCenters/Articles/HanesHosiery

Even if its not the one you were planning on, it still doesnt seem to be a bad way to spend some time!!!

We've got a local Lions Club show tomorrow here, but I think I'm gonna skip it. #1, the show has never been very big and #2 the final NASCAR race of the season is on. I'd rather stay home on the couch and be entertained than be elbow to elbow with the Geritol Generation fighting over some overpriced junk. :rolleyes::D;)

Yes, that's the one. No address anywhere. I called the city to get the address of the place, 501 Reynolds...
Our internet connection is very flaky, and the wireless router is dead--again. This is the third wireless router in 6 months that's bit the dust. I've called Time Warner, they are supposed to be here tomorrow morning with a new modem and wireless router combo.
Currently my wife's computer and my iPhone are the only thing online.

Good evening folks

Just checking in after a busy day. We did Scouting for Food today. Our pack, troop, crew and collected 820 items of food. This is far better than the 310 we collected last year. We took into the local food bank. They were very glad to us. They only had enough food on the shelves for three or four days. They have been averaging 18 families a day coming in and using the food bank. Last year at this time they were only average 8 to 10 families a day. Just to tell you bad things are around here the church that sponsors our scouts was asked to make up 51 dinner baskets for Thanksgiving. Last year they made 32. They are only one of a dozen or so churches in the area that the School District requested help from. We have not seen any of this supposed recovery in this community.

After we got home we spent time doing some cleaning up from the roofing mess. They still have to re-hang the gutters. We had to put a supplement in to cover the cost of re-hanging. The gutters were installed a different way and with the new roof they cannot be put back that way. The roofers will also be back to install some vents in the roof over the storage part of the attic.

Now it is time to unwind for the rest of the evening.

I hope everybody has a good evening.

Good morning all from Ye Olde London Towne.

Its 8 and cloudy. Not much different than yesterday. Managed to get the hose for the heat exchanger but as usual it didn't go to plan. Last time I read a manual. It specified a 19mm hose. After hitting 3 stores and finally getting a 19mm hose, it was way too big. Calipers show the connector as 14mm. I could have just used a bit of surplus garden hose and saved me running all over the place. :mad:

On the upside I also picked up a pair of greenhouse heaters on sale. Got the first one wired up from the shed to the greenhouse so SWMBO doesn't have to worry about frost and can start next year's tomatos in January. The second one will be used in the shed just to keep the temp above freezing on cold nights. That way I don't have to run the heat exchanger all the time as its min temp setting is 16c(59f) I've also nabbed an extra electrical socket and box for the shed as I under estimated my original needs. This will give me 10 outlets with no part of the shed more than 2m (6'6") from a socket. I've still got to put down permanent cable from the house to the shed but for now I've got a 4 season modelling room with workshop space. The only thing really missing is a beer fridge.

Matt: Keep working with the distance running. Its a big step change from sports where you expend engergy in short bursts to keeping up a constant level of activity. You'll find that it will make a big difference to your football next season. My old rugby coach used to make us run a lot of cross country in the off season. Not sure of the science behind it but it cut down on muscle injuries and we didn't feel as sore after a match.

Jeffery: Again, much respect. I guess I'm used to seeing people just give up after the slightest set back. You seem to fit more into your day than most people do in a week.

Take care all. I'm off to the shed to hopefully get some modelling done today.

welb.

I'm doing the on-call thing and by Monday night I will be orff and getting some other things done--like Xmas shopping--:rolleyes:

Anyway, we are at 33F going to a high of 49F then continuing from there up to 62F---then plummet back down to a high of 30F by Friday:rolleyes::eek:

Have a good one pipples:D

11/21/2010

Good Morning ! from Tipton IN.
anim_coffee.png

anim_snoopy.png

1.png

Diner.png

menu_breakfast_1.png
waitress3.png

:)

Yes, that's the one. No address anywhere. I called the city to get the address of the place, 501 Reynolds...

Thats right on the web page!
But you're right, it's kinda goofy that they didn't include it on the flier. Someone who is not native to the area, or doesn't have access to the web might as well have a blindfold on!:eek:

Speaking of shows, yes I blew off our local show today. Tomorrow afternoon there is an auction going on about 1/2 hour away from here. It's billed as an "eclectic collection auction" but down in the fine print you find it includes trains! O,S, and HO trains and memorabilia. At 4 in the afternoon, I would expect it may not be too heavily traveled.
I'm really starting to get into the auctions. Last week I bid on a box of stuff at an estate auction. It had Amer.Flyer cars, HO cars and engine, and a few n scale pieces. I paid 18 bucks for the box lot!! Immediately after the auction I sold the n scale stuff to another bidder for 5 bucks. The Flyer stuff cleaned up nicely, as well as the half dozen HO cars. Yeah, there were a few broken couplers and a missing ladder on the caboose, but they were easily remedied. The loco was an 0-6-0 Rivirossi with broken valve linkage. A quick rummage through my parts bins located all the parts, now it runs great!! I'll sell off some of the HO and the Flyer stuff, keep 1 car and the loco, and still make money on the deal!
Anybody need any brass track? I got a bundle of it!!!:D:D:D

Matt The distance running thing was a big benefit to me when I was your age. Not only the physical conditioning , but mentally it taught me that I could push myself a little harder, and my feet would follow. And yeah, that "kick" after the 1st mile was a bonus!;) By my Senior year, I was more into cycling than running, but with 25 mile races, I was glad I did the running!:D

Good morning. It's 61 and mostly cloudy. The high will be 77 with clouds yielding to sun this afternoon.

I got some work done on the layout yesterday. Nothing major, just clearing away most of the clutter caused by the partial tear down and laying new track according to the new track plan. I had to stop when I became too exhausted to continue and had to rest. Before I could start again my schedule got changed. My sister called with plans of going out to dinner then seeing the new Harry Potter movie at the local theater. Dinner and a show! How could I resist. Today I intend to get back to the layout and get the rest of the clutter sorted but you know what they say about good intentions. That is, as long as my energy holds out. The longer I have to stand unsupported means less time that I can work. When I was younger I never thought I'd see the day when maintaining my balance would require massive concentration on that one act. Having part of the layout to lean against helps a lot and extends the time I can work. There's one chair in my trailer and small as it is it won't fit in the walkway of the layout area and there's no way to make the walkway wider even if I wanted to. Once the clutter is cleared I can place the structures where I want them and drill the holes for the wires for the lighting. Not all the structures will be lighted, just maybe 60% of them. I'm thinking about wiring them so I can turn some on and off for a different look. At least I can sit under the layout for most of the wiring. I can work a lot longer that way.

Andy- Tell me about it. Because im on JV for football, there are no playoffs, so i had close to 3 weeks of little activity between sports. My biggest mistake was lifting instead of running, so the first couple days of practice was not pleasant. I ran distance for outdoor track last spring, but didnt do much for running after preseason workouts started, so i didnt do much for me this season. This coming summer ill be smarter about my workouts and balance what i do :D

Karl- My races are about as short as you can get to be considered a distance runner, so i dont usually "kick" towards the end of my races. If i run the mile i will, but with a 5:50mi time, i usually run the 800m and a relay. I could never bike 25miles, i did 14mi on day and didnt ride my bike for a week afterwards :eek:

Well, the tree lives another day. I got to the post office and the errands done with my dad. Theres a train show today about and hour south of where i live, and another one coming up in a few weeks here, hopefully ill be able to go to the closer one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back