Coffee Shop XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.
The two sound files in the Soundbug are a generic steam and a GP38-2. If you want a 710 turbo, such as actually is in the SD70, you'll have to buy the programmer. I did this research when I got a stealth BLI C30-7, and wanted to put sound in it.

Found a few sites for this---

OK--found one site--http://www.mdmlocomotiveworks.com/PAGES/Sounds.htm

Another one if you are thinking of recording it yourself--http://www.qsisolutions.com/products/techinfo/record-sounds.html

If you are really serious about going abouts recording your own--check this site out--
http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/audio/portable-recorder-comparison/

Some other ones are listed here as well--
http://www.musictechmag.co.uk/mtm/portable-recorder

Last edited by a moderator:
Digitrax offer a sd70ace sound on their website, but you need the pr3 to download it in the decoder

oddtodd - go look on wikipedia.org there are extensive description on almost any locomotive. search for EMD, GE transportation or any railway compagny, there are links to the model they use

Morning everyone. Flo, let's do a western omlet, bacon and coffee...:cool:

WoooHooo! Its Friday. Lookin forward to the weekend. Y'all have a great day.

Could someone point me to a site that has the definitions of different locos? Like what a GP7 looks like and the differences between a gp7 and a GP9 etc? All the names and numbers confuse me. I just use whatever catches my eye for motive power. I've got 4 locos that I use. I have a couple that have 2 axles per truck and is boxy looking. I have one that has 3 axles per truck and is boxy looking, and then I have one that has 3 axles per truck that is very streamlined. What else do I need to know to identify which is which? Thanks in advance!

OddTodd

The easiest way to tell a GP7 from a GP9 is the louvers under the cab. A GP9 has 1 set of louvers ahead of the cab in the cab base. A GP7 has 3 sets, 2 directly under the cab. The old BB Athearn GP9 is actually a GP7, further adding to the confusion.:confused:
If you can post clear pics, I'm sure we can identify them all pretty quick!:D

Herre's a chopped nosed Gp9, notice, only 1 set of louvers in the cab base!
WMGP9-35.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. It's 45 and cloudy. The high will be 68 and it's supposed to be sunny.

Nothing much going on today. Just have to go to the pharmacy later. Helped dig out the top of a septic tank yesterday so it could be pumped out. And no I didn't do any of the heavy work. I just helped clear away the loose dirt after it had been broken up. That was about the extent of my day. I may be able to get some layout work in today.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/P1011300.jpg

A mix of clouds and sun. High 52F. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph. It will warm up to mid 60s by monday and a chance of rain on tuesday. I'm hoping to get some time to work on my layout. I've got all of my track laid out, but I need to finish placing and lighting up my ceramic houses. I won't have any turnouts this year due to certain little hands messing with the direction of the train. lol

Good afternoon folks

It was 38 F as I headed in this morning. Our high will be 50 F.

It has been a interesting and eventful couple of weeks. It all started with the home computer. It got a virus about 2 weeks ago and the operating system was wiped out. It was so bad I had to take it to someone to fix it. They had to order discs from HP which took about a week to get before they could get it working again. I picked it up late on Monday night. I have been working on it since to get things back the way it was. Luckily most of our data was not lost, however it taking time to restore it. I did have limited computer access. I could use my work computer but with all the filters and other stuff they have on them, they are slow. Also they are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer which creates some problems. I also was able to use my daughter’s laptop but I did not have any of my favorites so finding websites was not easy. I discovered that I laptops and me are not exactly compatible. I need a bigger screen and I have to have a mouse. That finger pad thing and I did not get along.

Then to make things even more interesting the roofers have been working on the house the last couple of days. We are getting a complete new roof thanks to the hailstorm back in June. Since they have to remove the old roof down to the rafters it is taking a little longer. At one point we had so much debris we could not get our back door. The pile was 5 foot high and about 20 feet long. I lost count of dumpsters at 3.

The roofing threw other plans out of whack. Last Friday the truck carrying the roofing supplies showed up unannounced. I was told they would be starting on Monday. I was supposed to go camping with my son’s Boy Scout troop to Annapolis over the weekend. I decided that I had better stay home and get the house ready for the roofing. This meant moving things out of the storage part of the attic and into the finished part to minimize any damage and help with the clean-up. We also had to secure all the breakables in the attic and on the walls. My daughter and I took care of that on Saturday.

Speaking of the camping trip my son had a great time. He got a tour of the Naval Academy and got to see a great football game between Navy and Central Michigan. I had to drive down to Annapolis on Friday night since they were short on drivers for the trip down. It was not a bad drive and I was home just after midnight.

On the bright side my daughter was selected for the local team for her volleyball club. This is the second highest team in her age group. It means that we will be doing some traveling but mostly with in a 150 mile radius. We will have at least three overnight trips plus the end of the season trip to Penn State.

Well that is enough for now.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Todd
From what I see, you have (in the order they appear)
GP38
GP7
E6?
SW?
SD35

I'm sure the 2 I have questions on can be clarified by the others in the group.

Todd
From what I see, you have (in the order they appear)
GP38
GP7
E6? That looks like an E7. I have several of my own.
SW? That looks like an SW7. I have at least one somewhere.
SD35

I'm sure the 2 I have questions on can be clarified by the others in the group.
My observations may not be correct but that's what they look like to me.

Well, I don't hear anybody bragging about catching next Thursday's dinner!

Too many cold germs and too much WILD TURKEY can both put me out of action. Best that I limit the medicine to kill the germs amnd not the host.

Well, I get to enjoy the time with little girls sitting on my lap, and the scenery of the big girls this weekend at McWane. Model railroading is a great hobby.

If there was ever a week of disaster

Tuesday morning I wake up with a migraine. This is 3am and i didnt fall back asleep. I didnt bother telling my mom and went to school anyways. The flourescent lights didnt help. I got sent to the office by a sub for "sleeping in class". I was paying attention and was listening, had my eyes closed and head up :rolleyes:, no punishment, no problem i guess. Tuesday night i came home from practice ate a bowl of applesauce and some tylenol and right to bed. Wednesday morning, up at 1am, cant fall back asleep, another migraine. Somehow managed to get ready for school and made it through my first 2 classes, the first of which was a computer class, staring at a computer monitor entering data in microsoft acess for an hour and a half hurt. I called my mom and had her bring me some tylenol. Stayed in class another hour and said, to hell with it, im going home. Get home, ate some cheez-its and fell asleep in the chair in the dining room. My dad woke me up at 930 when he went upstairs to bed. Mom scheduled a doctors appt for thursday afternoon. I stayed home from school because it was a repeat of the previous days. Get to the doctors, diagnosed it as another cluster migraine and gives me 2 medication refills, plus a cocktail in an IV to kill the migraine i had. Woke up this morning, everything was fine, couldnt tell anything had been wrong, had one small headache at the end of the day but nothing horrible. I told my mom i was sorry for ruining 2 out of 3 of her days off. I feel great now, i forgot how great those IVs work, pain free in an hour, just left me alittle sleepy. I shouldve gone to the docs first, but ive had an IV for those before, and the first time i didnt handle it so well, which is prolly why i didnt want to do it again.

Thank god tommorow is Saturday, can finally catch up on the stuff i missed and havent been able to do for 3 days.

Well, I get to enjoy the time with little girls sitting on my lap, and the scenery of the big girls this weekend at McWane. Model railroading is a great hobby.

Mikey!!!!

you, um,,you're,,,a ,,,, um,,,,

dirty ol

grrrrrrrr

I'm jealous!!
:rolleyes::eek:

Thanks for the info everybody!! I just have to figure out how to use them on my layout. I can use them for their intended uses.
Todd, that switcher is an SW1. The spotting features are the single exhaust stack and the "box" in front of the hood on the walkway. It's probably a Walthers model. The other model of the SW1 I know of was the old AHM single truck drive one with truck mounted couplers. Here's a link with a couple of photos:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_SW1

That may even better the Wrecking Crew's scenery. ;) Have fun at McWane Mikey... and try not to get any drool on the kiddos in your lap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back