Coffee Shop XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

leghome

Maytag "Danged Agitator"
Well we had to move. Flo found some Monkey #$@% in the coffee pot so out it went. Let us try to keep this new place clean for a while PLEASE.

Larry- that was down right sneaky.
I came in to say, "Hi!" and get a cup. Both you and Flo lock the front door and walk out the back door while I was washing my hands in the restroom!:confused:

At least you left directions taped to the front door!!

Flo, now I need that cup of coffee to go. I've blown my lunch time wandering around, but I seem to do a lot of that lately!
Catch y'all later.

For those who didn't see it earlier, I got a really good laugh out of this.

I had a good laugh today. Some young guy told me that I would have to hook my van up to a computer to find out how close the timing is set. I raised the hood and asked him to show me where knowing dang well there was no way he was going to find a connection port. He stood there looking for one and scratching his head and wondering where it was and it was all I could do to keep a straight face. I finally told him there's no computer to connect anything to, just a coil firing module. To check the timing you have to a good old fashion timing light. He still couldn't wrap his head around it. What have computers done to our young people?

Good afternoon everyone.

I saw that the old shop closed so I figured I'd peak into the new one. It seems similar but without that smell from Chris.

Nothing new from me. I'm just waiting to get home and continue work on the layout. Up until yesterday I hadn't worked on the layout for almost two weeks. Now I'm chomping at the bit. I think it's because I was trying to decide what came next. Now I know so it's off to the races! All it took was a few photos for inspiration and a cleaning of the layout. It's fun to watch the train run through recently completed areas without building materials and tools to get in the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
TWO WEEKS Corey, try two years. I lost interest when I tried to hook up DCC to my old wiring and it did not work. If I can get a friend to come out and help get me started on the wiring again my interest will reappear I think. Right now my interest in anything last only a few fleeting seconds. I think this kitchen remodel has done did me in. The kitchen is almost finished just a few more trim moldings and it will be done then maybe I can get back to some fun, although this remodel has not been a complete chore I have enjoyed most of it. The finish work is what I procrastinate on as I am not a finish carpenter but like the look when it is done.

Last edited:
Larry, I can understand your frustration with the wiring. Have you thought about just using your dc until you feel like trying again? I use dc and don't intend to change unless I build another layout sometime down the road.

Your home improvement project sounds quite consuming. When I remodeled the basement of my previous home it was never ending. Every night after work and every day off was used up in the effort. I rent a townhouse now so there are no projects. I kind of miss having the option of changing things around but I don't miss HAVING to do it. Hopefully there is some light at the end of the tunnel for you. It's too bad a person couldn't do finish work first. By the end of the project a persons patience can't handle measuring three times to get it right!:)

Ohhhh, nice place guys, the smell of coffee and fresh paint!!:D

Chris must not have been here yet!:eek:

Wow, nice fresh painted walls!:) ;):p
(Low rumble from Vinnie in the dark shadows of the rear booth) And they better stay that way - OR ELSE!

Today was going to be work on layout day but my neighbor decided to snag my empty trash cans and fill them up with pine needles. So it turned into work on van day. It's been running rather rich lately so I checked out the usual suspects. Carburetor fuel settings, meter valve adjustment, etc. The problem turned out to be a split vacuum hose that went from the carb to the PCV valve. I replaced the hose and it went back to running normally, well as normal as a 30 year old engine with all the smog junk missing can run. I also took the time to set the timing, by ear as I've almost always done on older vehicles (I wonder how many young-uns out there would even know how to do that), changed out the oil in the air cleaner (combination paper filter and oil vat) and I ran down the cause of the knock in the front of the engine with the aid of a piece of garden hose. The auto repair books I have are very comprehensive and go into great detail on a great many subjects that most modern repair manuals just touch on or skip altogether. The troubleshooting guide for engine knocks is very detailed and covers the problems in depth. It describes the noise to a 'T' and it's coming from the right place and has another noise the troubleshooters guide says goes with it. Worn timing gears. The noise is described as a knock from the front of the engine that's noticeable at idle, goes away upon acceleration and comes back at 25-35 mph then fades again. The accompanying sound is a dull rumble from the timing case (loose timing chain). No surprise considering what the engine has been through. According to the manual it's not so loose as to be in danger of jumping time. It will start making a constant loud rumble when it gets to that point. I also leaned the fuel mix back to save some on gas. Acceleration isn't attention getting (0-60 in 15 to 18 seconds). It'll touch 70 uphill and that's all I need it to do. Most of the time it'll be running between 20 to 50. I don't intend for it to be a hot rod. If I'm not going fast enough for someone behind me they can dang well go around. Most of the highways I drive on are 4 lane so they have no excuse to complain. Gave serious thought today to finding one of those old, old personal computers from the early 80's, something like that tiny Timex Sinclair 1000 and sticking it up in the engine compartment somewhere. The next time some young know-it-all says they have to hook the van up to a computer to track down a problem I could point it out to him and watch in great amusement as he tries to find an adapter for it. I think it would be hard to keep a straight face though.

10/19/2010

Good Morning ! from Tipton IN.
anim_coffee.png

anim_snoopy.png

1.png

Diner.png

menu_breakfast_1.png
waitress3.png

:eek:

Good morning folks

It was 48 F and raining this morning. Our high will be 60 F. The rain is supposed to stop before noon.

Mondays are still crazy. My daughter had another late volleyball match. This one was at Norristown Area High School, which is about an hour ride. Her team the JV got smoked and the Varsity did not do very well either. Both teams had to deal with the other team’s home court advantage which was a small gym and a very loud crowd. Apparently they did not handle it well and fell apart. They did not get home until almost 9:30 PM. She was up late finishing homework.

My son had his Boy Scout troop meeting.

Tonight my daughter has her last game. It is another late start at 5 PM. This one is at Great valley which is about an hour away. Looks like another long night for her. My son has a football game at Paxon Hollow Middle School.

No trains last night and the probably not tonight either.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Anybody have one of those little worthless computers from the late 70's, early 80's lying around? Something about the size of that little pc (what a joke) Timex came out with. Any really small computer will do but it has to be non-op and free. I intend to attach some wires to it and secure it inside the engine compartment of my van. The next time some know-it-all counter man says he has to hook up a diagnostic computer, well the opportunity is just too good to pass up. Just watching him try to find an adapter for it would be priceless!

timexs1000-1.jpg

Good morning everyone.

I made all kinds of progress last night after work. I don't usually model after my late day, but the spirit moved me! I ballasted the industrial/secondary line behind my depot. This area called for cinders instead of rock and has no roadbed. That was a project I've been putting off for three weeks. Then I experimented with staining the middle of the mainline tracks and ballast to make it look a little more used. I don't think I had a strong enough mix of paint and water but I wanted to wait until the first pass dried. When I get home today I'll see how dark it is. Knowing my tendency to over do things, I'm trying to take my time with this. We'll see if I over do it again.

My relief is here at work so I think I'll commence with my half day off!

Anybody have one of those little worthless computers from the late 70's, early 80's lying around? Something about the size of that little pc (what a joke) Timex came out with. Any really small computer will do but it has to be non-op and free. I intend to attach some wires to it and secure it inside the engine compartment of my van. The next time some know-it-all counter man says he has to hook up a diagnostic computer, well the opportunity is just too good to pass up. Just watching him try to find an adapter for it would be priceless!

Good luck with that. These days things like the Vic20, Sinclair (timex), etc are becoming collectors items.

Good luck with that. These days things like the Vic20, Sinclair (timex), etc are becoming collectors items.
I realize that:). I have an Apple IIe in my closet that's reached that point. It's fully functional and still has the original software. I'm looking for something that doesn't work anymore.

Good morning. It's 64 and cloudy. The high will be 83 and it looks as though there's a 40% chance of rain.

Still looking for some kind of ancient small computer that would be unrecognizable by most young people today. Doesn't matter what brand. I prefer one that doesn't work because quite frankly, with what I'm gonna do to it, it won't work at all. I don't care what kind of connector it has. Card edge or pin either one will do just fine. I have some old (not old enough) radio equipment here that has such connectors but it's recognizable as radio equipment even to the casual observer.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q186/forum-1/P1010013-9.jpg

Good morning everyone. Or good morning Bill and Jeffrey!

I see I can take any seat in the coffee shop. Business is sure slow since the move!

I cleaned up my newly ballasted section of track yesterday. It was a little harder to see what needed cleaning up with using cinders instead of the CNW pink ballast. I found out pretty quickly when I tried to run a train over it! I am now satisfied with the finished product. The only thing I may do is cover it with some dirt to tone down the black.

On that note I tinted the middle of all the track black to show that it's not brand new. Now I may need to do the outside in a brown/dirt color to show the proper age as well. It certainly gives the track a more realistic appearance.

In addition to the track work, I started another building project that pairs up with the current one I'm working on. They are the Walthers depot and matching freight depot. They are painted in the same color scheme since I'm imagining they are owned by the same company. I guess it made sense to paint them the same paint and trim colors. I'm using mainly white since that should be the predominant color of wood sided buildings. It's fun to build kits again after making trees for so long.

As you can see, I'm a motivated modeler this week!:D I guess it's just fun to see things come along. I've been working on this layout for two years and don't feel like I have enough to show for it. I also know that if all goes well I will have a baby to look after next year. Once that happens my free time will be severely diminished!

I suppose I should get back to work.
Have a great day.

Good Evening peeps!!

Aaaahhh---the smell of fresh paint permeates the air:) Chris---we will not engage in anymore DMSF's oakey doakey?:p

I'm finishiing up my layout--finally--all I need to do is to redo a couple of elevators and find a few sections of track for one of the spurs in Williston.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back