Coffee Shop XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say LF,
If you do order some Label oil or some from Woodland Scenics, very possibly the same, you might want to look for plastic compatiable just be on the safe side. Labelle oil came that way in the past so whoever you get it through you might want to check it out just to be safe. Labelle is quite an old company and very possibly supplies the other places with the different types of oil.

Use a lite oil or lite teflon grease for the wheel journalsd, both should be available from most places.

I had all this stuff available but lost my distributor when the owner died. Bummer for he and I.

Thanks Trussrod, ill talk to my mom to see about ordering some.

You know, i was thinking about this the other day. I think im going to compile a list of some MRR necessities (that ive managed to go without but should probably have) and give them to my parents for stocking stuffer suggestions. Dont get me wrong, I love the candy, gum and sweets, but id rather have something i can use.

So far on my list:

Bright Boy
Kadee #146
Labelle Oil
Small Paintbrushes

Anything else?

I have some questions about these locomotives:

How do I get the shell off of BB locomotives? #1

How do i remove the truck side frames? #2

Whats a good lube that id find around the house? #3

Thanks!
#1 On the newer ones I have the shell is held on by four clips that go down each side of the motor well. Try pinching the shell near the walkway in this area and pull straight up.

#2 On mine the side frames are held in by a central pin. Gently rock and twist the side frame to get it off. BE CAREFUL! They break easily.

#3 I use Dexron/Mercon transmission oil for the gears and motor bearings.

So far on my list:

Bright Boy
Kadee #146
Labelle Oil
Small Paintbrushes

Anything else?
Exacto knife with #11 blades (careful, they're sharp, and can be used as scalpels)
A small bottle of CP red (cany apple or action) for the handrails on those AC's
A small bottle of Reefer white for the handrail ends
pointy tweezers
Testor's model cement
gap filling CA
NMRA standard gauge
Set of jeweler's screwdrivers

Last edited by a moderator:
[#3 I use Dexron/Mercon transmission oil for the gears and motor bearings.

I second that! I've been using Dexron II, then Dexron III/Mercon for years as a lubricant without a problem. It also makes a nice track cleaning fluid (used sparingly)
Yes, it's plastic compatible.:D
I think most folks would be shocked to see how many plastic parts are in an automobile transmission these days!:eek:
Best part is, you can get a quart of it for less than what you pay for one of those cute little Labelle bottles!:)

Exacto knife with #11 blades (careful, they're sharp, and can be used as scalpels)
A small bottle of CP red (cany apple or action) for the handrails on those AC's
Testor's model cement
gap filling CA
NMRA standard gauge
Set of jeweler's screwdrivers

Matt:

Go with the Candy Apple red. No CP AC4400s were painted in Action red.

You may want to consider taking the handrails off first and spraying with Testors primer or similar.

As for your modelling toolbox.
I'd avoid the Testor's cement(tube stuff that is). Go with Tenax or any MEK based solvent liquid.

Lastly a tube of Squadron green putty for filling. Failing that hit a NAPA or similar and get a small tube of pre-mix bondo usually marketed as spot filler.

Terry: Railzip = bad. I remember that crap. How to turn your track into a gunkfest in only 5 applications.

11/24/2010

Good Morning ! from Tipton IN.
anim_coffee.png

anim_snoopy.png

1.png

Diner.png

menu_breakfast_1.png
waitress3.png

:cool:

As for your modelling toolbox.
I'd avoid the Testor's cement(tube stuff that is). Go with Tenax or any MEK based solvent liquid.
Yes, I should have specified. Bottle of Testor's, tubes are not so good.
Terry: Railzip = bad. I remember that crap. How to turn your track into a gunkfest in only 5 applications.

Railzip was red, but was not ATF. Railzip could be washed away with water, you cant do that with ATF!
I see you both remember that stuff. :eek:

Has anybody heard from Shawn Myers, he was active on the forum for a while then seemed to vanish? He was managing a golf course in the South somewhere?

David;

Shawn and I are friends. He's come over here to my layout and I've gone and worked on his. ('Bout a 100 mile trip, one way.) Back in August, he did say he was gonna be real busy for a couple of months.

If I get a chance today, I'll call him and see what's up.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Terry- thanks for your help, I have a set of like micro screwdrivers, is that the same thing?

Andrew- thanks! Candy red huh, I'll have to remember that. I think action red was used last on the SD40-2s.

Trussrod- I noticed you called me LF, feel free to call me Matt, same goes for everyone else.

Busy day today! Practice in about an hour, then waiting around for a package that should arrive around 12:30, then heading to my grandmas to set up her Christmas decorations for her. I also think I'll run my grandpas lionels as well. Maybe if he's up to it, I'll see what I can do to make his freedom train in HO run again. I'll bring my new locos to run too, prolly best to bring my own controller and some track as well, as I'm sure his is brass and well overdue for a cleaning. That's be cool if I can get his Chessie set running as well. After that I'll be going to the hockey game with some friends.

Have a good day and a Happy Thanksgiving if I don't post until tommorow!

Good morning. It's 69 and cloudy. The high should be 80 and it will be rather cloudy.

Got some more track soldering to do today but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I had old Mr Murphy slowing me down yesterday but hopefully I have the problems out of the way now. If nothing else comes up I should be able to finish it today. After that I need to get the track permanently anchored. It was rigid enough for soldering but it's not ready to have a heavy train on it yet. I have a gallon of drywall joint compound here that I need to use so that will be good to put under and around the track. If that's not enough to do the job I have another gallon of the stuff out in the van. The next project will be to get the structures (the ones that will be lighted) wired. That's gonna be a real joy. Working above and below isn't going to do my back any favors but it will go faster than wiring the track did. With this new setup I can all but one of the turnouts and it's already wired to the control panel. Below are just a few of the dozens of solder joints I made. Once they're painted to match the track they'll be virtually invisible.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/P1011409.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/P1011407.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/P1011413.jpg

Matt: CP stopped using Action Red in the late 80's. It was a very fugitive colour. It has a nasty habit of fading to a sickly orange. CP red is pretty much identical to Soo red.

Good morning folks.

We have another round of freezing rain coming our way. They are already closing schools west of us. I see the storm track is heading northwest so I hope most of it misses us. If not I may be stuck in town for a while.

I'm just about ready to add signage to my Merchants row kits. I can't decide if I want to use the decals included in the kits or not. They're not very 1950's looking. I don't know how to scale down photos to print the right size so I'm stuck. I suppose I could learn huh?:D I also want to add interior photos to the store front windows to at least suggest a real building. I consider myself to be a smart guy, maybe I'll have to teach myself how to do it.

My wife is spending her third day taking it easy. The doctors recommend two but since she has today off it can't hurt to lay low. When they told her she couldn't get out of bed it made her crazy. Now today she has no problem laying around since she has the option of getting up. Isn't it funny how you want to do something just because someone says you can't?:)

With the freezing rain coming I don't imagine we'll be very busy today at the store. I think I'll read my latest MR that I've been saving.

Have a great day everyone.

Good morning folks.

... I don't know how to scale down photos to print the right size so I'm stuck. I suppose I could learn huh?:D I also want to add interior photos to the store front windows to at least suggest a real building. I consider myself to be a smart guy, maybe I'll have to teach myself how to do it...

Have a great day everyone.

Might I recommend a FREE program called IrFanview. It makes resizing a photo extremely easy. I got mine off of http://www.cnet.com/ Go to the download section and search for it.

Exacto knife with #11 blades (careful, they're sharp, and can be used as scalpels)...

Not to pick nits, (as Selector sez), they aren't even close! They are very sharp, but they're not made with a fine enough edge.

The rest of the suggestions were very good.

Rex- I was sorry to hear about the 3 Bama cheerleaders who drowned when their pickup ran into the crick and they could not get the tailgate down.

Smile and keep an eye on the CAMERON!!
ROTFLMAO:D
Yes indeed, I will keep an eye on him for the big collision with Marcell Dareus, 306 pound defensive end. We stopped Teboe; we can stop the Cam.
BTW:
What does Cam Newton have in common with Bo Jackson? He's already made the big bucks playing professional ball. YUK! YUK! (Yeah, I know, nothing proven...yet!)

Q: What do you call an Auburn player with a National Championship ring?
A: A thief.

Q: What do you call an Auburn grad wearing a suit and tie?
A: The defendant!

Q: How many Auburn freshmen does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: Zero, it is a sophomore course.

Q: Did you hear about the Aubies found frozen in a car at the drive-in movie in January?
A: They went to see "Closed for Winter".

Q: What do Auburn grads call Bama grads?
A: BOSS!

:p:p:p:D:D:D
ROLL TIDE!

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone has time tomorrow listen to National Public Radio(NPR) between 11AM and 1PM EST to the Turkey Confidential show. I submitted a very short story about 2 weeks ago and it was chosen from the 20 or 30 stories submitted to our local NPR station WFYI 90.1 FM. I was totally flabbergasted that such a short story was chosen. Lynn Rossetto Kasper Called me Monday afternoon and recorded it for possible airing on Thanksgiving Day. Also WFYI wanted me in the station yesterday morning to record it for local broadcast even if it doesn't make the national broadcast.

CJ- Glad to see your fingers tickling the keyboard again!
Hope you can keep your health during the Holidays.

However, URIs are one of the hazzards of playing with young grandchildren. You might try rubbing him down with hand sanitizer! LOL

CJ-...

However, URIs are one of the hazzards of playing with young grandchildren. You might try rubbing him down with hand sanitizer! LOL

I want to dunk him in a 10% Dakin's Solution. That will kill anything.;)

He and his mother went to LR for the other grandparents to help celebrate his first birthday at the first of this month. He got lots of presents and being the generous kid he is, he brought his "GOP!", (that's what he calls me, and about that loud too,) another URI.

Been coughing up some really bad looking crap since then. Believe it or not, I've coughed so hard and so much that I now feel it in the ribs I broke in August! Man that HURTS!!! And I still have it.

Another round of pneumonia anyone????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back