It's Wed 4/23/14

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

POUR_COFFEE1-Copy.png

Sunny, high of 60. :D

trainwreck.png

:cool:

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Good morning. It's 57°F with 100% humidity. The high will be 85°F with some clouds and a southeast breeze.
pcloudy-1.jpg

A few things I'm expecting to happen today. A visit from the Home Health nurse, Mr Raintree to come and pick up his Apple IIc computer on his way home from work and I'm supposed to be having lunch at my fathers place today.

Looks like I'm one of a very few people in this area who repair these old Apple II series machines. I think there's even someone who fixes the really old Tandy's, before they went IBM compatible. The computer shop in town won't touch these old things. No readily available parts base. I get plenty of parts from old junk Apple II systems people bring me just to get them out of the shed, storeroom or attic. Sometimes I find one that's in fair shape and fix it and add it to my collection. They're not new but used parts are better than no parts and I clearly state that I use salvaged (used) parts. That's all you can get for these anymore.

The Home Health nurse will be changing out the wound vac dressing. Good thing too. The seal failed around the toes early this morning and tripped an alarm on the unit that woke me up. It took only a few minutes to fix and the vac was back in operation. I just had to cut off the bad piece of film and replace it with a new piece. Nothing to it.

Lunch today is supposed to be red beans, rice, onions and cornbread. Good stuff.

Right now I'm keeping an eye on an auction for a computer part I've been looking for. It ends later this morning. If the price is still low toward the end I'll slip in a higher bid at the last minute and see if I can grab it. I may get a real bargain. Of course I could get a worthless dud too.

Other than that there's not much going on today.

DSCN5031.jpg

Leave your bid till the last 10 seconds Jeff, works for me, even from over here. Gets the heart rate up too.

Good Morning Gents:

Yesterday was a fantastic spring day....today, not so fantastic. It's quite windy and raw today and the temperature is about 20° colder.

I decided to create my own rolling stock inventory using an Excel Spread Sheet, possibly using imbedded links to the WKW catalog database, rather than one of the available inventory programs available, as all I'm really interested in is a list of what I have, in a way the I find useful for my needs.

I need to make an appointment with the dentist among other fun things I have to do today.

Joe

Ahh, such fickle weather April hath wrought unto thee. One day 75* and windy.....the next calm and 45*. Just had a fleeting glimpse of the sun, out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone. My back has become comfortably numb.

..., I began taking inventory of rolling stock, on my layout. ... For now, I divided the cars currently on the layout, as well as some cars stored near the layout. I divided the cars by build/stencil date, and surprisingly came up with the following:

1950 - 1959 1 car
1960 - 1969 5 cars
1970 - 1979 19 cars
1980 - 1989 13 cars
1990 - 1999 1 car

This is just the start, but it is surprising, considering that my time frame of interest is primarily 1960 - 1969. ...

Joe,

I also have a number of cars on my 1970-72 era layout whose build dates are way too late. But I only really care about what can be seen from a 3-foot distance: the road name/number, paint scheme, and the general body style of the car. Many freight car type appearances didn't really change much between what was built in 1968 versus 1988. If a critic needs a magnifying glass to point out what is incorrect about a particular car, I simply ignore it.

Joe,

I also have a number of cars on my 1970-72 era layout whose build dates are way too late. But I only really care about what can be seen from a 3-foot distance: the road name/number, paint scheme, and the general body style of the car. Many freight car type appearances didn't really change much between what was built in 1968 versus 1988. If a critic needs a magnifying glass to point out what is incorrect about a particular car, I simply ignore it.

Ken:

Funny thing about build dates, is that I never really bothered with them. I was sort of surprised, when I dug out the magnifier and made note of it. Not what I expected.
Since I needed a magnifier to view them, If I feel they are appropriate......they run...... Freight cars don't change all that much. 40' Box cars were very common right up to the recession, in the mid '70s when the Railbox type and clones took over.Tank cars changed in the mid '70s also. Exotic pig/container cars and stacks showed up in the mid 80s. Most of what I see along the Southern Secondary today, is similar to the cars we handled along the Southern Secondary in the 90s.

My railroad runs by my mood. Normally 1960s PRR, sometimes, PC era, or RDG/CNJ which use the same cars for the most part. Then the CR early era finally the Conrail "Quality" Era, which happened during the David LeVan Years. That's how I divide my equipment.

Joe

Hello folks

I just wanted to take a few moments to check in and let everyone know that I am still kicking. I might be a little slower these days.

A lot has been happening; some good and some not so good. I have been battling with some minor medical problems. It is nothing life threatening but annoying and at times painful. At times I am exhausted and need to rest.

My FIL who just turned 80 last month has had some problems. We have had a bunch of ER visits over the last six months. The worst was when his medication caused renal failure. We have had some issues with dementia at times also.

On the good side there are good tidings with the kids. My daughter is finishing up her last club volleyball season. She has two more tournaments over the next two Sundays. We just finished up a weekend of volleyball at the North East Qualifier in Philadelphia. She has her college picked out. She will be attending New Jersey City University and playing volleyball. She received an academic scholarship that covers 100% of her tuition, and room and board. We just found out last week that she was accepted into the Honors College. She reports for volleyball preseason August 16th.

My son has switched from football to tennis. He had never picked up a racket until this past June. He made the JV squad on his high school team. He is looking forward to taking more lessons and competing in a few tournaments this summer. He also switched Boy Scout troops. He was having some issues with interest with his old troop. He switched to a troop that he knew boys that he attended the Jamboree with him. His interest is back. We still have issues with making meetings due to his tennis schedule.

I have been occasionally dropping in and reading the forums. I just do not always have the time or energy to post. I am hoping that once club volleyball is over and school is done for the kids I will have more time for the forums and for modeling. The workbench is collecting far too much dust these days.

Good Morning!
It's Thu 4/24/14

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

Coffee-pouring-Copy.png

Sunny, high of 70, rain later. :D

trainwreck.png

:cool:

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning.
Most of the out of era equipment is back on the club's layout, with only some of the worst offenders remaining in storage. There will be a focus on getting more relevant rolling stock in the future, we'll see what that nets as far as cars, vehicles, and locomotives.

Good Mornin' y'all!

Not much going on here, just the daily work grind. I did have a half day yesterday, so I awoke the new John Deere from its winter slumber and cut the lawn. Sunday it should get the full weed & feed treatment.

Tom, glad to see you back!

Well, I'm off to work,, cyas!

Good morning folks.

A rainy day here in the upper Midwest. We need the rain so I shall not complain! Besides, I just over seeded the lawn two days ago so this is perfect.

Tom , good to hear you are doing okay. Isn't it funny how you think you want to play with trains and then just walk past the layout.

Speaking of that, my wife has informed me that I shall get back to modeling immediately. She can see that I've been antsy and just a tad bit moody ever since we bought this house and stopped playing with trains. I can tell that I have no hobby right now other than drinking a few beers and watching tv after work. I just have a hard time making myself go in the train room to piece in the new track. It's kind of a pain to get everything right when you're adding new track to old in curves. Funny thing is, I know that if I just spend a few hours for a few days, it will be done. Then I can get back to adding scenery and building things. She even said, and I quote, "buy whatever it is you need to get going again, I don't care!" She must be referring to switching to dcc finally!:D At least, that's how I'm going to interpret it!

We have prom this weekend around here so I have a busy few days renting out tuxedos. Time to head to work.
Have a good day everyone.

Good morning. It's 67° with 97% humidity and dense fog. The high will be 85° and cloudy.
Morning:
condmc-1.jpg
Afternoon:
pcloudy-1.jpg

Power went out just after noon yesterday and came back on about two and a half hours later. Our planned lunch became a late lunch/early dinner. I wasn't really all that hungry as I could feel a gallbladder attack coming on. So I had one serving of red beans and rice and cornbread then went home. I was down most of the rest of the day with only a little time spent online.

Found an HO Scale Big Boy in my mail yesterday. It'll never run though. It's a Revell model kit. Eventually I'll get around to putting it together. Right now I have no room for it.

Today I'm expecting to receive an AE 128k memory card I won in an auction. It's one of those hard to find things you don't expect to find. Got it at a great price but it still wiped out my fun money. Also expecting a 'Runaway Train' DVD I got for next to nothing considering it had free shipping.

No telling what's going on today so wait and see I guess.

Cool and raining here in bluenose country, just normal after 2 good days of sunshine (keeps the farmers happy :D)Feels like my sinus is acting up a bit maybe that's normal too. Guess I'm getting a bit antsy like Corey :D, I still haven't finished the entrance way yet but there seems to be no end to the things to be done around here before daughter and hubby move in here with me so I also have a fair idea of what Corey is going through, however what has to be done, has to be done because the move will be very soon.
I have the bench-work plan all drawn up and I'll upload it to a new thread later today for comments, I don't have a track plan yet but I do have a lot of ideas some of which may actually be feasible
So you all have a great day (even if it's raining) :D
Cheers from NS
Willis

Back