Coffee Shop XLI-2/23/2014

Good evening. It's sunny and 75. Supposed to be 25 Thursday morning... Possible snow...
I have a lot of balls in the air, and have managed to not drop more than a couple. That may change in the near future, as I may have to drop everything and go out of state to help a friend for a couple of weeks. I hope it won't have to be done, but it isn't looking good for him.
More as I can update and know more.

Today I took apart an old Apple DuoDisk floppy drive. As the name implies it's two disk drives in one housing. These things were never great sellers as they were notorious for having problems. Mine is no exception. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it didn't. I examined it closely and found that most of the problems stemmed from corrosion. A major cleanup ensued. Now it worked right most of the time. After tightening some connections and making a few adjustments I got it working properly ... for now. I've never been a fan of the DuoDisk drive or the UniDisk drive. The shells break easily, eject mechanisms jam, they're noisy and in my opinion the plugs on them are clumsy and clunky and in the case of the DuoDisk break down easily.

Kitty's don't forgive, they just file it away until the next time they claw/bite you. That way its justified. :rolleyes:

That does sound like something Molly might do :rolleyes:. She's been too loving since her "ordeal", she's a native of Jersey, so she must want something, otherwise there's no point to being nice.

Nothing much went on today. I spent part of the day ironing the bugs out of an old Apple DuoDisk disk drive then later I made inventory tags for each of my operational Apple systems. The one on my //e 2128 is in the photo below. I know you can't make heads or tails of it so I'll read it off.

128k = Amount of memory.
G65SC02 = Processor.
X104 X3 = three 650-X104 drive controllers.
CP/m = CP/m Coprocessor.
J = 16-pin external joystick port.
Disk ][ X5 = Five Disk II type disk drives.
SD1 = One SD card reader/disk drive emulator.

DSCN3420.jpg

Well that's it for today. See y'all tomorrow.

P1010239.jpg

Good morning guy's temp 61 staying warm today but rain on the way and maybe stormy to. Hope everyone has a good day stay safe and will be around here later on.

Chris,

Good evening. It's sunny and 75. Supposed to be 25 Thursday morning... Possible snow...
I have a lot of balls in the air, and have managed to not drop more than a couple. That may change in the near future, as I may have to drop everything and go out of state to help a friend for a couple of weeks. I hope it won't have to be done, but it isn't looking good for him.
More as I can update and know more.
I hope things work out the best way for you both,Terry.

Good morning folks.

Terry, I hope whatever you have to do doesn't have to be done! (does that make sense?)

Well, we bought that big ass truck yesterday! I actually let them talk me into a bumper to bumper warranty for five years. With all of the electronic gismos on this thing, I can't stand the thought of having to repair anything while I'm making payments. They also cover damage to the rims and tires other than normal wear. Knowing each corner of the truck is around $1400 for the rim and tire, it's worth it incase the Mrs. parks too close to the curb somewhere. They had to fix a chip in the windshield and repaint a piece of trim in the rear so we can't pick it up until Thursday. We still needed a car for two days so they gave us our ford edge as a loner! I didn't even think about the fact that we didn't own it anymore even though we hadn't taken possession of the Chevy! My wife is on cloud nine since this is her dream vehicle. I'll need to milk that feeling for at least a few days!:cool:

I have the track I need to start fixing the layout. I just need to attach the roadbed first and then start soldering away. Oh fun, oh joy!

Have a good day folks.

Good Morning

43° and mostly overcast this morning, going up to 66°, and believe it or not down to 21°, by morning. Isn't March fun? They're saying precipitation, starting as rain.......

Corey, good luck with your truck. My experiences with Chevy trucks are that with minimal care, you will get a lot of service. I traded in a 1992 Silverado, with 250k miles on it back in 2004. I still see the truck around town. They just keep on going.

Terry, hope things work out.

Today, I plan on doing some work cleaning the train room and disposing of some of the clutter that I have been "saving" for some time. I need room to finish painting. I have a lot of maintenance work on the house, and it starts there in the basement. My back ordered Bachmann GG1 ships today, so I should have it tomorrow. Something to look forward to.

Have a great day.

Joe

Good morning. It's 52° with 81% humidity. The high will be 65° with a few clouds. A wind advisory is in effect until 7pm. 20mph sustained with gusts in excess of 30mph.
cond026.gif

Nothing on the schedule today. No telling what may come up though.

P1010230.jpg

Good Morning Folks, beautiful day here in bluenose country, 40F bright and sunny with very few white puff balls in the sky. Finished removing the doorway and the rest of the wall in the train room. The hallway is gone leaving a large gap in the South wall which will soon be the new doorway. I wanted to save the materials as the paneling and pattern is old and not replicable these days and I'll be darned if I want to redo the whole room. When I put the walls up I did a good job of it as it didn't come apart easily. I'll have to expand some bench work to avoid having less than a 32" radius mainline (one reason the hallway had to go) but the new doorway is next. I'm not sure of what I really want to do with the new track plan but it will be a folded loop to loop (have no idea if that is the correct terms for the description)
Well that's about it for now, so I'll have a cuppa and be on my way .
Y'all have a great day, enjoy life and trains
Cheers!
7166dea5.gif

Willis

Good Morning...

Corey, good luck with your truck. My experiences with Chevy trucks are that with minimal care, you will get a lot of service. I traded in a 1992 Silverado, with 250k miles on it back in 2004. I still see the truck around town. They just keep on going.

Joe

I've had that kind of mileage out of my last 3 trucks, 2 Fords, 1 Toyota. We bought the Toy new for $4300 back in 1979, and got rid of it in 1989. It had almost 400,000 miles on it, and we still saw it for about 5 more years on occasion when we visited Mobile. Wonder when it quit. Next was a Ford Bronco II, that we got 300,000 out of it. It was a NOS and they gave us $6000 on the old Toy for it. First time I ever got more in trade-in than a vehicle was worth new. Then we got me a Ford Ranger, 1998 used, in 2000. Had 47,000 on it and we got 252,000 out of it before the engine lost a freeze plug and blew, a year ago in Oct. I now have a "new" 2010 Ranger, that only had 9000 miles on it. Hope it lasts as long as my others.

I hope to get the lifespan that you guys did with your trucks. I've had good luck with our two different Pontiac grand prix, so I hope to do the same with this vehicle. My old 99 Pontiac is still going with 250,000 miles and my current, 03 has only 125,000. Both have had minimal repairs over the years. I was just concerned with all of the electronic doodads. Navigation, touch screen radio, heated and cooled seats, reverse camera and other silly toys. I'm just excited to be able to not borrow a truck every time I have to haul something!

I'll be leaving in the morning. Our friend was taken off life support and died earlier this afternoon. My appearances here will be more spotty than usual.

Sorry to hear about your friend, Terry. It's good to have friends who can be relied upon and I'm sure that you will be appreciated.

Not much happened today. Took one of the old Apples apart. Pulled the chips and cleaned the legs and sockets then reinstalled everything, hooked it up and tested it. A-OK! Thing about doing a thorough cleaning like that is all those chips suddenly seem to have a bazillion legs! Cleaning the holes in the sockets is easy with a pipe cleaner and alcohol. This one really needed the cleaning as it had a case of light rust going.

Copied some programs from the Apple Mega-ROM file on my PC to an SD card then copied them to floppy disks on the //e.

Other than that it was a pretty quiet day except for the wind blowing outside. Sounded like some gusts reached 40mph.

Time to call it a night. See y'all in the am. I got a doc appointment in the afternoon.

P1010326.jpg

Good morning. It's 34° with 97% humidity. The high will be 65°.
condsunny-1.jpg

Nothing planned for this morning. Got a doc appointment to go to this afternoon so that's the afternoon shot.

DSCN3421.jpg

P1010335.jpg

Back