Coffee Shop Version is 11 now open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Life is TOUGH at times,,, tomorrow we have got Four steam hauled specials passing through,,, two of which are scheduled to pass in opposite directions right near our house :) :) :) which will be quite good,,, bloody fantastic more like, and also two diesel hauled specials with heritage power up front. Sunday see's just one steam special but with four different locos called with the train tour name of "Four guinney special" this is a re run of the very last ever steam hauled train in 1968,,, and get this, THREE of the locos are the same as in 68 :eek: :D

My heart bleeds for you! :p ;) :D

Evenin' all,

Jim, Welcome back. Sounds like you had a good time. My oldest brother was stationed at Eglin several years ago and I was able to get down there and visit him. Lovely base with terrific beaches nearby. I remember doing a cross country with my mom many years ago. We were driving through Tupelo MS and decided to stop and see Elvis' birthplace. We paid our 2 or 3 dollars and stepped inside the tiny house and stepped out the other side. Kind of a let down, but maybe I was expecting Elvis to be sitting at the kitchen table eatin' a fried 'naner sammich. Yet another "Willy the Whale" experience. :rolleyes:

Steve, Whatever happened to your friend and the crematorium? I hope he can get back some of his investment. Will there be criminal charges against the ....bad guys?

Jeffrey, I never got into Star Trek, but I have a friend who loves it and goes to all the conventions and collects all the memorabilia. I used to have a preconceived notion of folks who did that, but my friend is perfectly normal (relatively speaking) :D he just enjoys Star Trek. I guess the conventions are pretty fun... He also took a tour of the area around Area 51. He's nuts!

Hey Rex, how are the teeth? Haven't heard much about 'em lately. Hope they're not hurtin'.

Some of you said you have great zucchini recipes. Please post some! I love the stuff but get tired of fixing it the same old way with onions and yellow squash.

I'm in my last few days of Biological Conditions in Psychology. Just finished my last paper on learning and quality of life. Next up...Algebra. I can already fell my teeth itching. Ew.

Have a terrific weekend!

Sandy

Jeffrey, I never got into Star Trek, but I have a friend who loves it and goes to all the conventions and collects all the memorabilia. I used to have a preconceived notion of folks who did that, but my friend is perfectly normal (relatively speaking) :D he just enjoys Star Trek. I guess the conventions are pretty fun... He also took a tour of the area around Area 51. He's nuts!
I used to go to some of the conventions. I even got to command the Enterprise once in a simulator. That was a blast!

Good evening gang,

Kinda laidback here in my corner of the world. Been doing some practice ops now that I have my DCC infrastructure in place, I'm timing the different tasks so I can plan for guests. Tonight I did non-hotmetal switching on the mill property, a task reserved for my GE 70-tonner. It's a great running little machine for the $35 price tag, I just need to swap out those ugly deep-yellow LEDs for some whitish yellow ones.

This weekend's gonna be a busy one: My parish church is having their annual summer festival and my son and I are assisting with that; Stephanie (my almost-10yr-old) has her first soccer practice on Saturday; and we all have to start packing for the 'Bama trip, we're leaving bright n' early Monday morning.

NOTE TO SELF: When planning a five-minute phone call to a fellow railroader out-of-state, always be sure to set aside thirty-five!:D I made a test call to Rex to make sure I had his number correctly stored in my cell phone, and totally lost track of the time.

Jim, glad you made it back from Destin! Had your daughter ever experienced the Florida noonday sun before? I spent 3 days camping on a beach near Jacksonville when I was 19, I got so fried that the skin kept peeling off of my face in layers! :eek: [BTW I'll probably be making a test call to you sometime this weekend...]

Steve, that joke abut the alcoholic was priceless, I was laughing so hard it triggered another coughing fit (almost over my cold, but not quite).

Ray - too bad about all that rain you've been getting in NY, guess that makes you a prisoner of the trainroom. I feel your pain.;)

Gotta get some rest for tomorrow, g'night!

Steve, just remember all this when you move to New Zealand and wonder where all the steam engines went.

Chris, I'm glad that deputy is OK but I think the body armor did more for him than his business card case. Once we started wearing body armor, we switched to cloth bages because a bullet in the right place on a metal badge could actually drive the point of the badge throught the armor and do some pretty good damage.

I'm not too much of a lobster boy but my daughter still looks like she got too close to me spray painting some box cars. :) They were moon jelly's. Luckily, the visibility was good enough that I could see them before we got in among them and I only got stung once. That water park nearly killed me, between walking up and down all those stairs to get to the slides and then hauling all the tubes around for the girls since I was the mule. :)

Sandy, Eglin is a huge base with a huge bombing range out back. The whole area around Destin and Fort Walton Beach has some of the nicest, whitest beaches in Florida. I rather suspect the Hank Williams house is like the Elvis house but we'll have to go back down there again since my wife is a big Hak Williams fan. Personally, I think he sounds like a goat. :) Got algebra next, huh? I could help you with some of the biological psychology stuff but algebra never made any sense to me. Good luck.

Jeffrey, my late wife was was a huge Star Trek Fan and had all the shows and DVD's too. She went to the Start Trek Experience in Las Vegas and got to be Spock with ears and the whole bit. It was about a year before she got diagnosed with leukemia and she had a bunch of pictures taken. I really treasure those because she looked so happy.

Rex, what is happening on the dental front?

Ken, there's no way you can talk for five minutes to another model railroader. Cripes, I'd better get down to the layout and at least try to clean things up a bit.

Beautiful clear night down here in Dixie with a temperature of 67 and a dewpoint of 51. Coolest night we've had in about a month and the humidity makes it very nice. Almost fall-like for us. I'd like some rain but I'll take a day or two of this also.

08-09-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png
:eek:
SteakEggs.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
Diner.png

menu_breakfast_1.png
waitress3.png

Morning all,
Sandy My friend is still waiting to see if they can get any money back they invested. hope they can.
Jim There is an active main line steam program in NZ as well, just not quite the variety we have here.

Well we saw one of the steam locos this morning, the weather was going down hill fast
tanks13-07-08006v2.jpg

Good morning.

It's 76 and cloudy. The high is expected to be in the low 90's and there's a moderate chance of rain.

I'm almost finished re-mastering the DVD's in my little project. In fact the last one is being compiled at this moment. That was a lot of work but well worth the time.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446 8/9/2008

Heat Index: 81°F
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 72°F

So Far Today
High: 76°F
Low: 75°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 0mph NNE

Today High: 92 Mostly cloudy early in the morning...then a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the late morning and afternoon. Highs in the lower 90s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 75 Mostly cloudy. Lows in the mid 70s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

I don't know about where you are, but around here it is one BEAUTIFUL day!

Steve B., excellent shot!

I went out on my lunch break the other day and shot some pics of the fair train. Yeah, it's that time again! Time for the Indiana State Fair!

This year the train looks very similar to last year. The train consists of lightweight passenger cars with a GP7 and a GP9 arranged on each end in a push-pull fashion. Here's a few pics for ya!

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Prototype Train Photos/Fair Train 2008/IMG_0093.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Prototype Train Photos/Fair Train 2008/IMG_0096.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Prototype Train Photos/Fair Train 2008/IMG_0095.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Prototype Train Photos/Fair Train 2008/IMG_0099.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Prototype Train Photos/Fair Train 2008/IMG_0101.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Prototype Train Photos/Fair Train 2008/IMG_0105.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Prototype Train Photos/Fair Train 2008/IMG_0108.jpg

One for you Burlington fans! http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Prototype Train Photos/Fair Train 2008/IMG_0109.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Prototype Train Photos/Captured2006-8-1200025.jpg

And as the train heads out....... http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Prototype Train Photos/Fair Train 2008/IMG_0113.jpg

All thats left behind are the memories and traces of the mighty steam power that once ruled these rails. http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Prototype Train Photos/Fair Train 2008/IMG_0115.jpg

Chris It's very moist here,,, VERY moist.
Saw all four steam trains today, no pics of the last two though as it was persisting down like you would not believe, not the best weather to get a digital camera out in. Hope to see at least two of the locos again tomorrow though, better forecast as well, fingers crossed

Good Morning All ! Looks like we might be dodging rain again today on the Niagara Frontier ! At least later in the day. Jim sure glad you and your family had a great time no vacation minus some money and skin ! Steve glad to hear none of the scouts were killed in the crash , Those highways in Ontario can be dangerous . The Queen E. is quite dangerous . It was were the founder of a Coffee Shop chain was killed . His name was Tim Horton and he was killed in a car crash on his was back to Buffalo from a hockey game from Toronto ! BTW some more nice shots of Locos . Philip we also have "America's Fair" going on over in our next county . At least that is what they call themselves . I plan on going to it next week if my legs will allow me . Well better get going so hope you all have a nice day ! Oh yes Steve I agree some lead poison is the best solution to my varmint porblem !!!

Ray - too bad about all that rain you've been getting in NY, guess that makes you a prisoner of the trainroom. I feel your pain.;)

Yeahj Ken, life is tough sometimes.....;) ;)

Mornin' everyone!

Flo, when Fergie gets in have him try the zucchini, eggs, cheese, and spam. It was really good!

Steve nice photos of the two you did get. Beautiful old girls they are!

Looks like today will be another day without running the air conditioner...(YESSSSSSSS!) High of 73°F predicted with some partly cloudy during the day (Mostly sunny right now). I would like to get over to the museum today to help with a couple projects out there, but the lawn hasn't been mowed in 2 weeks and thunderstorms are predicted for the next few days. If I don't get it done today, I may have to buy a few sheep or goats and I don't think the city fathers would like that.

Our biggest event of the year at the R&GV Museum is coming up in 2 weeks. Diesel Days is scheduled for August 23 and 24. Any of you folks who might be in the area come on over and have some fun riding the rails with us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning everyone! Hope all are having a good Saturday morning. The temp in T-town was 60 deg last night with a high of only 89 predicted for today. The plus is that it is all dry air for a pleasant change. Guess I will spend the day straightening the depot so that Ken can get in the door next week. I'm sure looking forward to his visit.

JIM...my wife is a big Hak Williams fan. Personally, I think he sounds like a goat.
Oh my! I hope the good'ole boys don't read that:eek: .

Ken: As Jim said, a five minute phone call to a fellow MR is 1 hour in real time.:D

Sandy/Jim: The 4 teeth are still in, but will be removed on Aug 20. They aren't hurting that bad, I just have to be careful when eating something firm or ...corn-on-the-cob;) . Eglin is a huge base. In fact it was the largest in land area that the Air Force had for a long time. Clark, in the Philippines became larger during Nam and of course there is Edwards in Cal. There used to be 9 active fields on the base, each with a different mission. There is still much going on: R&D, Space missions, training, aircraft modification and maintenance, Air Defense, and some unspeakables:rolleyes: . I spent a few temp duties (TDY's) at Eglin while in the Air Force and was always fascinated by all the goings-on. Heck, I remember when Ft. Walton was only a crossroads and Destin was just a fishing village.

Paul: The one thing you don't do is shoot a skunk:eek: :eek: . You never will get rid of the smell. Just think: Highway-car-skunk...BAD combination that you can smell for miles. Same thing with shooting one as the "spray" goes everywhere...I know:eek: !

You guys remember the pups I posted a photo of? little pups? Now, two weeks later and 8 weeks old, they are an arm full, as you can see in the photo (Left:Ralph, Right:Archie :) ). FYI: The building behind me is the BC&W Depot.

Rex cute puppies. They are growing like mad. Don't think they are going to be lap dogs (and I don't mean from Lapland....). Got a call from the vet's office to let me know that My Mom's old kitty, Sheila's ashes are back. I have an appointment for the "boys" next week (yearly checkup).

BTW, very good advise to paul! I still say call Animal Control and let them advise him.

Got about 1/3rd of the lawn mowed. Found a yellow jacket nest in my wood splitter tow bar........ Lucky I found them before they found me......:eek: :p

I will finish that part of the lawn tomorrow between storms. The nest will be gone after dark tonight. :mad: ;)

Good morning all from Coarsegold, Ca., this morning was a little cooler at 76* but it's warming up fast.

Hi Susi, I think I'll just have a Bagel with some peanut butter, Strawberry jelly and Coffee, thanks Doll!

I got my Right hand curved switch finished last night except for the point throw rod which shouldn't take to long to finish. Boy did I have to fight to get things into the proper position, guess thats what happend from being away from building an switches for so long!

The next thing is to determine the type of switch stands I'm going to use, I'll have to see what my supplier has available, I know Caboose Hobbies and maybe Details West? My problem is possibly connecting the point throw rod to the switch stand actuating mechanism??

Hope all have a good day and you folks in NY stay dry.

This is what four seasons of Star Trek Enterprise looks like after it's been remastered from PAL format to NTSC format. There's forty-two DVD's there. That was lots of work. Now it'll work on my equipment.

P1010091.jpg

Afternoon/evening everyone!

WEATHER

Hot, HOt, HOT and HUMID!:eek: This morning around 3 am we got this freak storm blew through Spring Hill. So far no rain yet......But it will!

LOCAL NEWS

PERSONAL NOTE

This morning I mowed one account then came home and mowed my yard too. Then I had a crazy idea to wash, wax and detail my truck! Now I'm dehydrated and sore all over:( I'm so tired, the heat drained me of my will to do anything other than to breath and type. Thank GOD for A/C!

Ray I can't see why can't you finish your lawn? hornets don't come out after dark! Doesn't your mower got's lights?;) :D

Rex I want those Pup's!

Steve your still living the good life I see!:) How do you find the time?:confused: I hardly have time to get any work done around the house and stuff with two jobs, family, and any mishap's that come along:( !

Jeff I don't know why:confused: :confused: ? but, I wouldn't have figured you to be a Trekkie?:confused: I wish I had time to watch!:( New trek move comming either 09 or 10 can't remember?????:confused: I've yet to see the new Batman, Indiana jones, Iron man, and a few other that come out! Heck, a month ago I just got to see Batman begins:rolleyes: I'm so far behind it's not funny.

I got's to go now and die in a corner some where! G' nite............

Jeff I don't know why:confused: :confused: ? but, I wouldn't have figured you to be a Trekkie?:confused: I wish I had time to watch!:( New trek move comming either 09 or 10 can't remember?????:confused: I've yet to see the new Batman, Indiana jones, Iron man, and a few other that come out! Heck, a month ago I just got to see Batman begins:rolleyes: I'm so far behind it's not funny..
I'm also a Star Wars nut. I have all the Star Wars movies, screenplays and storyboards. I used to have scads of action figures and models but was forced to sell them when I became disabled. One of those models was a three foot model of the Millinium Falcon. I had a smaller one that was almost exactly HO Scale that I worked into a scene on one of my model railroad layouts.

Just dropping by for some coffee while the thunder bumpers go off outside. Around here real rain is plenty scarce. Been going for an hour now, hoping it keeps up 'till morning.

Well..............

The lawn is mowed! The Yellowjacket nest is history! I've cleaned some of the house, and played with cats. Time for some model railroading!

Jeffrey glad you got all the movies reformated.

Chris no lights on the mower. I use one of those ones you get to walk behind and push. It does have a motor to turn the blade, but that's all..... That is how I get my excercize now and then. A ride around would be major overkill for my little corner lot. I had one that I inherited from my Dad who had a couple of acres to mow. I soon realized it was more work to sit and mow than to use the rotary. So I traded the ride on for some pictures of dead presidents.

Yoc hope you got a good amount of rain from the storms and had to work all day in the trainroom!

David I am in the process of installing the Details West low switch stands. I dont think they can be made to turn. There are some plastic ones that do turn as the turnout is thrown. Can't think of the company though. I tried to put one together and gave up......... It sits in a container of parts downstairs. Real PITA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back