Coffee Shop Part VIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

NYC_George

Retirement

Good morning everyone. I stayed home from work today with a cold. I decided I would call the railroad retirement board today. I be 62 in April and may retire. I had 12 years on the railroad so I will not receive social security. The SS money all goes into my railroad retirement. I have no idea what I'll be getting because I have no idea what I paid in. I think the railroad time is double the amount one would pay into SS like 14%. With my union pension it should be enough, I think. If I do go I'll have much more time to spend on my model railroad that's why I started it in the first place. Some maybe I'll be a regular customer at the coffee shop.

NYC_George

OldGettysk

Running the MC & Buffalo
Good Morning BIll & George , Looks like we have a new customer in the shop today , Welcome George and coffee is on you . Hope your cold gets better .Have to run to the doctor today so means have to clear a bit of snow off the car. Just a bit. Nothing sticking to the pavement just on the grass and cars. Well have to go get dressed so quick cup of coffee and out the door. hope all have a nice day !!

tompm

Good morning folks

It was a crisp 29 F as I rolled out of the driveway this morning. It took me a little while to get in the van. I had to deal with frozen doors as a result of all the rain yesterday and the overnight temperature drop. Our high today is supposed to be 39 F with the slight chance of rain or snow.

No modeling last night. I did put away from some things and straighten the layout up some.

I hope everybody has a good day.

pcarrell

Just a guy
Mornin' everyone!

On the way home from school last night I was driving through the falling snow. These were huge flakes, and tons of them. I was thinking to myself that the weather guesser was way off when he said we'd only get an inch. There was already that on the ground and it was coming down hard. Well, I opened the door this morning and I could still see my tire tracks and footprints from last night! The snow must have stopped just minutes after I came in. We got an inch. Cold out there though. It's all of 16 degrees out there now, and it's been warming up for a while. Throw in the wind chill and you're looking at a balmy 2 degrees! Yeah, I'm glad I have an indoor job!

The wife went out and about yesterday. Our daughter did the driving and they went all over the place. I have a feeling that she overdid it a bit, but she won't admit it. Oh well, I guess it'll make her stronger if she pushes it a little bit, huh?

Oh well, got a million things to do today!

Later!

rhoward

S.L.O.&W. Trainman
Mornin' Bill!

Mornin' George! Retirement is great. I highly recommend it!

Mornin' Paul! Good luck at the docs! I think my Father-in-law has it right. He credits his longevity (94) to staying away from doctors! He says he has a whole lot of friends over in the cemetery. "Every one of them went to a doctor. Look what happened to them......" He also says, "Doctors and Lawyers, fun to hate but awful good to have around when you need them..."

Mornin' Tom! Don't you just hate it when you can't get in the vehicle...

Mornin' Philip! "....havin' a heatwave, Tropical heatwave." I just looked outside and there seemes to be some "partly cloudy" falling out of the sky. They were predicting 1 to 3 inches of the stuff overnight, but we only got a dusting. I don't think it will amount to much.

I am down to the last 3 songs to mix for the recording I am doing. I should be able to finish it today and burn a demo for them to listen to. I got some major electric changes done yesterday in the train rooms downstairs. I used to have to turn on the lights in two different places (different ends of the layout) and decided that what seemed like a good idea when I first did it, isn't. So I put in a jumper to the end of the new layout lighting from the end of the lighting in the old room. I did some math and realized that the 20 amp line in the old room is a dedicated outlet for that room. There is more than enough from the one circuit to run everything from that line. I also changed out the two 48" T12 tube fluorescent fixture for 4 screw in sockets that will have Par 20 LED lights to do the same job. That will reduce the draw there from 80w down to 12w and give me more light where I need it. I can also switch the light on and off at the fixtures as well as at the top of the stairs for when I do night operations.

Have a good one!

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
Currently it's 42 here with an expected high of 65 this afternoon under partly cloudy skies. I have a doctors appointment to go to later this morning so I'll leave you with this.

RexHea

RAIL BENDER
Hi everyone! Just back in from the Depot for some lunch. Finally, have all 16 detection sections wired in and working mighty fine.

This is "DAY 8" without a cigarette and start of week 3 on the Chantix Rx. The report so far is that it isn't a miracle drug that totally wipes out any desires to smoke. Yes, it does remove the craving for nicotine, but the age old habits of automatically having a cigarette with coffee or after a meal are still agonizingly present. Each day, all of these have been getting much better and some have gone completely away.
Jim, there hasn't been any side effects with this, but I always need to take my pill after I eat something because it can make you a little nauseated. I will tell all that my smell and taste is now totally screwed up. My taste buds are much more selective and my sense of smell is much more acute. Another very pleasant change that has already taken place: the morning cough is gone and my sinuses have gotten much better.:) :)

Steve B

Firefighter
Afternoon all
Birthdays never go to plan here, to keep up the trend my aunt went to collect the cake the day before but the shop had closed early leaving no birthday cake (saturday),,, after several frantic calls we got someone to make one, (sunday morning) as it turned out it was very nice as well (sunday evening). monday the said aunt went to the cake shop and B******D them big time, got the money back and got the cake for free so monday evening was more cake, Nice.

NYC_George

Well Rex I gave up smoking in 1968. I started when I went into the USMC and gave it up when I got out. I found it very hard to do and I only smoked for 2 years. Good Luck, I hope you beat it. Ron I didn't know that was your layout. I like the rocky mountain area your doing. Those coal cars are going where? The track seems to head off into the dark.

NYC_George

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
Hey Rex, I started smoking when I was 11 and didn't quit until 23 years later. That would from 1971 to 1994. When I finally decided to quit I just put them down and didn't pick them up again. Everytime I wanted a cigarette I just found something else to keep me occupied. After two weeks I didn't want them anymore. I was smoking two and a half to three packs a day when I quit. I haven't touched them since.

Steve B

Firefighter
They just named our new road Myles Standish way (The pilgrim father - mayflower) it's a new town centre by-pass that starts 500 yds from our house and is a dream come true, it knocks loads of time off our journeys, Myles Standish lived half a mile down the road from here hence the name, spot on.

pcarrell

Just a guy
Rex, I quit cold turkey after twenty years. That acute sense of smell and taste buds that are seeming to be on overdrive, thats what they're supposed to be like when they aren't buried under a ton of cigarette smoke. It's wierd, I know, but thats how it really is when you don't smoke....all the time!

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
Evening everyone!

My order of a dozen container wells finally arrived this afternoon. They're made of metal and man are they ever heavy, I'll probably need double the usual motive power to pull these guys around. But they're gorgeous - at least to a non-transition-era modeler like me!

Phillip - glad to hear the Missus is recovering!

George - welcome to the Coffee Shop (a.k.a. "Flo's Place"). Friendly bunch around here!

Jim - If it does snow down there, at least you don't have to drive in it, so relax and enjoy the show! (OTOH, freezing rain has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.)

Rex, Hang in there - if you need any extra motivation, just think of all the extra $$$ you can spend on trains, that you used to waste on tobacco...:D (I quit in June '84, had been smoking a pack-a-day at the time)

Steve that's great about the time you'll save driving! Of course, I bet the local storefront business owners are lamenting about the loss of customers (that is, unless Wally-the-Wart already put them out of business).

Jeffery and [Buffalo] Paul, hope your doctor visits didn't yeild any unpleasant surprises...

Ray - funny your FIL should mention that [about doctors], my late FIL had the same outlook about dentists. Never trusted them, never had a single cavity, never went to a dentist his entire life ... until his daughters nagged him into making a visit at age 67. Then the dentist found a cavity! He was forever convinced that the dentist 'planted' it in there, LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Evening Gang: I just had to stop in and tell you that Lara Beth is now 3lbs 13 1/2 ozs and doing just great.
Rex: More power to you. Remember that we're all pulling for you.
Good Night All

OldGettysk

Running the MC & Buffalo
Evenin All ! Well another doctor visit down and two more to go for the month. Started with the skin doctor , Then the endocrinologist , Today my general practioner , friday the dentist and then at the end of the month the eye doctor . You wonder what keeps doctors driving big cars and sailing boats . Yours truly . Jeffery glad that your foot is ok . My visit today was just to reload my perscriptions and let her yell at me about my gaining a couple pounds during the holidays. Oh well they been keeping me alive for over twenty years so maybe I shouldn't complain . Well gonna get out of here so all have a pleaseant evening !!!BTW Paul sure glad to hear that your granddaughter is doing well !

Hi everyone! Just back in from the Depot for some lunch. Finally, have all 16 detection sections wired in and working mighty fine.

This is "DAY 8" without a cigarette and start of week 3 on the Chantix Rx. The report so far is that it isn't a miracle drug that totally wipes out any desires to smoke. Yes, it does remove the craving for nicotine, but the age old habits of automatically having a cigarette with coffee or after a meal are still agonizingly present. Each day, all of these have been getting much better and some have gone completely away.
Jim, there hasn't been any side effects with this, but I always need to take my pill after I eat something because it can make you a little nauseated. I will tell all that my smell and taste is now totally screwed up. My taste buds are much more selective and my sense of smell is much more acute. Another very pleasant change that has already taken place: the morning cough is gone and my sinuses have gotten much better.:) :)

Rex if you want to quit you will it gets better I still have craving once in a while but I also remember what it was like and been told if you ever pick up another you'll go back to where you were in no time. I haven't had a cig in 4 1/2 years and glad of it basicly what I was paying In the time scinc ei quit I have bought a used truck and paid it off withthe same money and then a used mobile home and did the same and now I'm basicly using the same amount I was smoking a month to pay for my 2003 chevy silverado 1500 extended cab . (bought it used a year ago. ( I figured I was spending right at $200.00 a month in smokes 3 packs a day )

So keep it going in the long run you'll be so much happier and better off look at all the trains you could buy at $200.00 or what ever you spend a month.

Gee guys I haven't been in scince we opened this new shop and look how far you are already in fact I think this is my first posting in here I have stopped in a couple of times but hadn't posted and your already 40 pages and its only been a month and a half you guys are flying.

lots has happened scince in the last 6 months but I'm surving and thats all that counts.

Have a good evening tal to you all again sooner I hope lol.

RexHea

RAIL BENDER
Thank you fellows for all the kind support. I have smoked for 46 years and was at 2 packs a day when I decided that I must do something...and now. I am determined to remain tobacco free and I am giving it my all. I quit drinking 23 years ago this month and have been for the better ever since. This also helps me to know that what seems impossible can be done.;) :) :)

Bill Tidler Jr.

Retired NS Signal Construction Gang Signalman
01-16-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png

:eek:

donuts1.png
THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png

BreakfastMenu.png
waitress1.png

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.