Coffee Shop Part VIII

Morning everyone, man it was in the low 70s yesterday woke up this morning and it's in the mid 30s. Talk about extremes. Hey Rex thanks for the help on this hopefully tonight I'll have better luck with this silly loco. Well hope everyone has a great day, I didn't get time last night to resize the pictures as I was fighting this loco trying to get it apart. Hopefully tonight I'll be able to do both.

Morning all!

Wow, what a day I had yesterday! Tough day at the office. Unfortunately, today doesn't look a lot better! Oh well, roll with the punches, huh?

Today: showers & t-storms developing, a few possibly severe - high: 65 (record 63, 1965)
Tonight: t-storms gradually ending - low: 38

May set a record high today! They're saying that we could get some nasty storms though, so not exactly picnic weather.

Well, I'm off!

Later!

Mornin' everyone!

Guess who slept in this morning......? Good to feel "slept out" after several early mornings in a row.

I have to go over to church and finish some sound system wiring this morning. The retired electrician on the properties committee finally got the wires pulled into the boxes for the returns and the last two mic cables. (OK, now lets see black goes to pin 1.... no pin 3.... or is that the red.... no 2 is ..... Where did I put that chart?)

It is 62°F outside right now and going up to 65 today. This morning eating breakfast, I saw a Cardinal, a Robin, and 3 squirrels in the flowering quince having a snack on the berries from last year.

See you all later.

Morning all!
Last night I watched the end of the 2007 college football season and it couldn't have ended better. LSU annihilated Ohio State big time. I'm far from an LSU fan, but very much a Southeastern Conference supporter and we showed the USA where the best football is played. Na na-na na!:p :p :D

Hope you all have a grand day. :)

Rex. Ray. Nick Afternoon gent's

just having a quick cup of tea,,, bit bog eyed today only had three hours sleep in two nights, YYYYYAAAAWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN, LOL hope i sleep tonight

Afternoon, Everyone. I've only been able to pop in for a few minutes in the last few days. Too many projects around the house as well as getting all the Christmas stuff put away. This is not to mention the time spent on the phone with Social Security but I'll save that for another rant. :(

Rex, the problem is Ohio State was in the BCS one year too early, LSU played a great game but wait till next year t see the real Buckeyes. :) Sounds like the Chantix is working for your smoking so far. Let us know if there are are any other side effects.

Steve, what have you been doing to be getting so little sleep? Insomnia or what?

Ray, I can't remember where more than two wires go without a chart. I'm glad all you guys up north are having warmer weather but keep an ear on the weather radio. There have already been tornado's and severe thunderstorms from this front that's headed toward you and there are likely to be more.

Nick, I wish I could help you but I know nothing about this particular locomotive. It's bean a bear opening up a few diesels to add DCC decoders. I don't know why manufactures cant just include a simple step by step list of instruction on how to take the locomotive apart instead of trying to figure it out from exploded drawings.

Phillip, I hope today is better at the office. Enjoy the shirt sleeve weather while you can.

Tom, sounds like it's really frustrating working with people who think a democracy means what they think is right. Doesn't the Federal or State Highway Administration do bridge inspections there? Seems like the bridge could just be condemned and demolished if if it's really in bad shape.

Sandy, nice to see a guy who works for a model railroad publication actually spend the time to get to know some model railroaders. I'm sure you'll have a better magazine because of it.

I haven't done a darn thing with the layout in the last three days. The weather has been beautiful though, with highs in the 70's compared to highs in the 30's last week. Looks like that big front in going to be another washout by the time it reaches us so we'll be lucky to get a few showers, darn it. Better chances for rain (and some severe storms) on Thursday but I'm not holding my breather for that either. Hope you all have as good a day as you can.

Rex, the problem is Ohio State was in the BCS one year too early, LSU played a great game but wait till next year t see the real Buckeyes. :)

Jim;

I didn't know you were a Cubs fan too!!:D

Nick;

The K4 from Bachmann is one of the few Spectrums that I haven't had apart. But from looking at the diagram, it appears that by removing the Pilot truck screw, and the screw in the centerline at the back of the loco, the body should come off. The two screws located on the rear loco support may have to be removed as well. Sorry I couldn't be more help! I have attached a diagram showing the primary screws I see holding the body to the chassis. The screws are circled in red.

Overall I've been spending the past couple of days coughing my head off. I have been finally able to get that bad junk up from the bronchitis, and although my chest is sore from the coughing, I'm feeling much better.
Did a little preliminary work on my Bowser 2-10-2 I got for Xmas, and have played around with the new compresser as well, but otherwise not much in way of actual modeling. I hope to change that tomorrow!

Got a good way to break in the compresser, as I finished construction of the SRR caboose and have two GM&O brass cabooses to paint. Should prove interesting. Probably need to strip and repaint my Ps-4 as well. It's tender decals have faded for some reason and now can hardly be read. I don't know if it was the ink batch or what, but its the first time this has ever occurred with any of my Champ decals.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow was it warm here today!!!!!!! now were in for rain and cooler weather over the next few days!

Sandy, if you like the conversation, you should really try the hobby!!!

RYAN

Hey Carey and Rex thanks for the help. Got the body off after messing with it. It started running so I put the body back on it. Something else that's weird that I'm going to have to investigate more on this little loco is that when it starts to hit a turn the front truck seems to get bound up and not allow the front of the train to turn like it should therefore causing the front drivers to loose contact. Is this engine suppose to be hooked directly to the tender with piece of plastic that kept on with some tiny dog ears?? It just doesn't look like it would make very sharp turns as close as the cab is to the tender and the way the two are hooked together. I'll take pictures tomorrow if you aren't quite sure what I mean.

Ray, I can't remember where more than two wires go without a chart.

Actually wiring mic lines is not all that complicated, just 3 wires. The problem is that while the black wire is always soldered on pin 3, the ground is always pin 1, and the red, white, green or whatever other wire is in there is always pin 2, The other end of the line is backwards in the placing of the pins. So you have to be careful and make the right connection. Very easy to reverse pins one and two. I did them correctly today the first time and just have to finish up the return (to the amps) connections tomorrow. Then turn it on and hope that everything works right................

Tomorrow is supposed to be windy and stormy. A good day to stay inside I think.

Rex, the problem is Ohio State was in the BCS one year too early, LSU played a great game but wait till next year t see the real Buckeyes. :) Sounds like the Chantix is working for your smoking so far. Let us know if there are are any other side effects.

Yeah, yeah, yeah! You would make a good FoxTV announcer too! I thought those guys were going to cry, seeing there glorious Big 10 team get their...uh...lose.:D

So far, the Chantix is doing ok. My hands seem to be lost now and need to find more things to do except stuff my face:D .

"Sandy, nice to see a guy who works for a model railroad publication actually spend the time to get to know some model railroaders. I'm sure you'll have a better magazine because of it."

Jim...{{cough, cough}}...I did have a bit of a cold last week so maybe my voice sounds somewhat lower :) but I'm not a guy. Hope that doesn't keep me from being able to peruse the forum now and again! I tried to use a lilt as I wrote my first messages, but must've missed the mark.
Chilly evening. We're supposed to get some more snow, but the weather folks have been so wrong this winter. Not too crazy about driving into Denver in the morning in ice and snow. Oh well...If I hafta, I hafta.
Y'all have a great evening. TTFN

I did have a bit of a cold last week so maybe my voice sounds somewhat lower :) but I'm not a guy. Hope that doesn't keep me from being able to peruse the forum now and again! I tried to use a lilt as I wrote my first messages, but must've missed the mark.
Chilly evening. We're supposed to get some more snow, but the weather folks have been so wrong this winter. Not too crazy about driving into Denver in the morning in ice and snow. Oh well...If I hafta, I hafta.
Y'all have a great evening. TTFN

Sandy, I thought that was an Alto I heard. Just the Vocal Music teacher in me. I can usually tell about those things......;) Always good to have a lady in the coffee house. Now we'll all be sure to introduce you to Lady Railfan when she stops in.:D Yep you are not alone here at the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for letting me get to discover a bit more about the hobby from the sidelines! I'll be peeking in now and again!
Hi Sandy, and welcome to our little corner of the world. While you're having a peek, why not say hello, then we'll know you're still with us. :D

Cheers Willis

hmmm! guess I should follow my own advice :)

Sandy, I'm sorry that I didn't realize you of the fairer sex. I shall do my best not to call you a guy again. :)

Corey, no, it's worse than being a Cubs fan, I'm an Indians fan...and a Browns fan. I know how to pick losers.

Rex, yes, I'm sure it sounds like sour grapes now and I know down here, everyone thinks the SEC is God's answer to football. Still, Ohio state had 3 seniors on their team and 10 juniors. They are going to be a much more formidable team next year. Will they win the BCS? I hope so. I know that Alabama won't. {ducks from flying objects} :)

Tom, sounds like it's really frustrating working with people who think a democracy means what they think is right. Doesn't the Federal or State Highway Administration do bridge inspections there? Seems like the bridge could just be condemned and demolished if if it's really in bad shape.

Yes we do. Depending on the classification of roadway and the condition of the bridge every bridge in the Commonwealth is inspected every 1 to 5 years. What makes this bridge such a mess is the county owns the bridge and the township owns the road. The State DOT is involved because the money to replace the bridge comes from a state program and we oversee it use. Also the FHWA is paying a big piece of the construction costs and they grant oversight to the state DOT.

The bridge in question is butt ugly. It was built in 1910 and is posted for 8 tons. It is only 16 feet which makes it a one lane bridge. It is not historic. It is not a nice stone arch, or neat looking truss, or some other type of bridge. It is a thru-girder that is rusted and shows almost 100 years of getting hit.

This whole thing comes down to a couple of township supervisors who are grandstanding for a three or four property owners. They are more worried about getting reelected than what is proper for their township as a whole. Of course if the bridge was closed and folks (more than 3 or 4 who don’t want a new bridge) have a hard time getting around and voters realize why the bridge wasn’t replace the supervisors could lose their jobs. It is the old case of the squeaky wheel gets the grease and screws the silent majority.

Opps there I go ranting again.

01-09-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png

:eek:

donuts1.png
THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png

BreakfastMenu.png
waitress1.png

Back