Coffee Shop Part VIII

This is my first post after spending at least a month sneaking in here and getting to know y'all. I work for a publisher of a Model RR magazine and have spent the last few months in sales. Since I know SO little about the hobby, I decided (after reading posts on other sites) that this was the site to sneak into. It is amazing how involved I became in getting to know the folks here. Seems like a good group! Anyway, I decided to step out of the shadows and thank you for helping me realize that folks who are involved in this hobby are not Gomez Addams or some such...type. Y'all seem to truly enjoy the hobby and that makes my job easier! Thanks for letting me get to discover a bit more about the hobby from the sidelines! I'll be peeking in now and again!

Ever feel like this?

12.jpg

And hey, Sandy, stop by anytime!

Phillip that is usually the way I feel on Tuesday morning.
It is truly a beautiful day here in the great mid west. Temp is in the upper 60's with quite a breeze blowin. I was out cutting up some wood my son in-law had left here last summer, old wood out of a barn that was torn down. He thought I could use the lumber for on of my projects. Most of it was just old framing pine full of holes and just generally nasty wood. It is now in pieces 15 to 18 inches long and ready for the burning pile. I was protected form the wind and worked up quite a sweat. My hair is dripping wet and I had to blow my self off before coming in the house. I looked like the abominable wood monster. I was covered with saw dust and still need to go and wash out my eyes as they are a little scratchy with dust in them. Man I love the smell of saw dust in the morning, afternoon well just about any ole time.

Afternoon all!

Philip, I only feel that way on Mondays when I have to get out of bed and actually go to work. Like today........ They had Chorus Day at school today so I got to go in and run sound for them. The Guest Group was a college choir from RPI called Rusty Pipes. You can hear excerpts from their CDs here: http://www.rustypipes.com/ After the Rusty Pipes performed each of the Choruses in the School system got to perform for each other. Actually except for the having to get up early, it was a blast....!

Temp is hovering around 60 here in the Finger Lakes today. Snow is gone except for the deepest piles from plowing. The January Thaw is upon us!

Hope each of you are having a great day!

Hi Corey, Glad to have you join us in the new non-smoking section:eek: . Tomorrow will be my first day of total withdrawal on the Chantix program. So far, the pills have me down about 1/2 of what I used to smoke.;)

Sandy: Stop by anytime and have a cup with us. You will be welcomed.

Nick: If all you want to do is get into the motor (and if I remember right), just remove a screw the front pilot screw and one in the back. Also, be sure and disconnect the light at the front by popping the front cover off. You should be able to lift the shell off.

Thanks Rex, I'm a hoping it's just a loose wire that I can re-solder back on. The decoder makes the chuffing noise whenever I throttle it up but the engine doesn't move. I've reset the decoder to be sure and it's responds to all of my programming so I'm thinking it has to be it. The drivers look to not be binding up so I'm guessing it's some minor wiring on the motor.

To those of you here in the CS that are trying to stop smoking. It is good to hear that you are, as I had a very good friend pass away from ephysema two years ago Nov. at the age of 68. Please keep up the good work.

Talk to you later
Duke

Thanks Duke!

Nick: The Bachmanns use a tiny gear belt Can you feel the motor turning? If so this belt may have broken. Otherwise, you are probably right about a wire loose. Are you sure the wire is good at the tender? plug?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the wire looks to be in good shape as well as the plug it goes into. I'll have to do some meter reading when I can see the wire on the motor. I didn't feel any vibrations from the loco when I throttled it up.

Glendia has had a mild case of the flu these last couple of days. So today I went to the store and bought a couple of cubed steaks, huge pieces if meat. Also she wanted some ice cream to make a milk shake with. Well the milkshake caused the sinus drainage to stay in her throat so that was almost a wasted trip ceptin for my steaks. I browned em and turned the electric skillet to simmer and in about 25 minutes I had me a boadcious meal. Smashed taters, Brocolli and the mushroom gravey, that the meat simmered in, made for a very tasty supper. I knew what would happen when she drank the shake but kept my mouth shut. I have learned something in 35 years of marriage to her. After cleaning the kitchen I can sit back and do nothing the rest of the evening.

Nick When I run into that I walk away for a while and then when I come back I am calmer and usually it works so much better.

Yea I'll look into it more tomorrow but I don't see the rear screw that Rex is talking about and the front truck comes off but there is still the spring and adapter attached so this thing is frustrating. I might just take it to a guy that I know repairs them.

Corey... I'm on the quitting path going to see doc about chantix this week

Sandy: must not be from accross the street? that would be sabotage? jusk kidding they could use a hard lesson learned from this site. not that i dont sneek in there but i dont post any more.
its great to have another newbie to the thread

REX: going for the chantix this week, I have really been feeling like crap lately, but i guess 1 1/2 packs a day will do that. glad to see it now non smoking in here

have a great week all, and SANDY: WE DONT CARE WHO YOU work for!! WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!!!

RYAN

Ryan...
Not to worry! :) I simply work for the publishers of Railmodel Journal in Denver and I started sneaking into this forum to familiarize myself with some hobbyists' terms so that when I make sales calls, I could TRY to sound somewhat knowledgeable. After I spent some time reading the 'coffee shop' forum messages, I was hooked! Not so much with the hobby, but with the folks who post here. I'd check the boards every few days to see how everyone was doing. Absolutely no other motive. Just enjoying the friendly banter. Somewhat amazing how addicting this can be! And all because of a hobby I thought I could bluff my way through. Go figure. Well, y'all have a great evening. TTFN

Sandy, if you think the coffee shop is addicting, you need to try the hobby itself....!!! Nice to have you here and welcome!

Nick, I will have to look again, but the back rear screw is under the pilot. Darn it hasn't been a month and I have forgotten:eek: :D I'll check in the a.m. The shell fits snug and you have to tilt it forward and then up. Also watch for the plumbing in the front and kind of move it out of the way. (Don't forget to unplug the headlamp by removing front boiler cover. I use a sharp edge of a hobby knife and gently pry around the cover. Its just a tight fitting.)

Where the heck is Carey? He has removed hundreds of these.

Ryan: Good show! I'm glad to get the company. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning Bill ! well it's suppose to hit 65 here in Buffalo another record day for a high . I'll take it anytime means one more less day of snow. Gotta get to another Doctor's office so I'll have a quick cup of coffee on Sandy and get out the door. You all have a nice day !!!!!

Good morning folks

It was an unusual 50 F as I rolled out this morning. Our high today is supposed to be 69 F! Does not feel like early January.

I spent the day yesterday at meetings and field views. Sometimes it amazes me the lack of concern that others have for the safety of other people. We had a case yesterday where three residents and one township supervisor have been holding up a project for about 5 years because they don’t want to change the existing deteriorating bridge. There one and only reason is they like the way it looks. They don’t care that the current condition of the bridge jeopardizes the safety of the 900 vehicles a day that cross it. BTW outside of these four folks no one has said this bridge is aesthetically or historically important. All the historic societies and agencies have looked at it and said it should go and that the new bridge with aesthetic treatments would look far better. Sorry for the rant but it was a long drive for nothing. The other field view was just a preliminary view and assessment of a roadway that has washed out so we can make recommendations for its repair.

The finished decaling/renumbering the TOFC. I also touched up one of the coil car covers and decided that I will not be replacing any grab irons on the cars. I began lining up cars and locos for air brush weathering.

I hope everybody has a good.

Back