Coffee Shop Part VIII

It's currently 38 here. The low last night was 29. Today's high will be around 48 with a low tonight of 20. Gonna be a bit nippy.

hawk Shots

Afternnon All ! Gee Steve not suppose to get that cold over in Merry Old England ! Stay in and Stay Warm . Just back from the skin doctor. She too two biopsys of moles she didnt like .Burned and cut away a bunch and froze a darn wart on my thmb which kills me everytime I try to grip something . Phillip get that radiator going . It's not to good freezing it up in the winter like that.Ray I'll get my sled and hut out and meet you out there for some nice Lake Perch . I caught this fellow eating lunch in my backyard and he did't even invite me !!!!

Afternoon everyone! Glad to see so many here today. I tried to get on yesterday, but friends started dropping by...and then there were ballgames...lots of ballgames.

Well, our day didn't start out good. We had to put our little miniature poodle (Mo) down. Over about 6 months, his diabetes had gotten so bad that he became blind with terrible joint pain, and then finally couldn't fight off infections. He was only 7, but he is now out of pain.

On the brighter side, I began my New Year's resolution yesterday with beginning the Chantix "stop smoking" program. This is the prescription drug that has such good results. You start taking the pills for a week before actually quitting and then begin different pills and no smoking after that for 3 months. After 46 years of smoking, I need the extra help and will give it my best shot;) :D .

All you northern brothers can come down here to warm up, it's 34F degrees at 1pm. :D

Phillip where do you get you cars worked on. I am looking for a new place. The one I have used for the past 6 years has gotten so busy that I need to make an appointment 2 weeks in advance for any kind of repair. They do good work at a reasonable price but there are times when two weeks is not nearly quick enough.

Phillip where do you get you cars worked on. I am looking for a new place. The one I have used for the past 6 years has gotten so busy that I need to make an appointment 2 weeks in advance for any kind of repair. They do good work at a reasonable price but there are times when two weeks is not nearly quick enough.

I just dropped it at the local Pep Boys because it was close. I'll often go to Mendells (317-776-8703) over in Noblesville if I don't just do the work myself. He's honest and fair.

Well, our day didn't start out good. We had to put our little miniature poodle (Mo) down. Over about 6 months, his diabetes had gotten so bad that he became blind with terrible joint pain, and then finally couldn't fight off infections. He was only 7, but he is now out of pain.

I feel your pain. As you may remember, we lost our Bulldog, Maggie, the day after Christmas. They sure do have a way of working themselves into your life, huh? I'm sorry for your loss.

And the smoking thing.....thats a tough one! I quit cold turkey after 20 years. Haven't smoked for 7 or 8 years now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rex sorry to hear about your little poodle . My old girl just turned 16 and I know sooner or later she will leave us . Can't imagine life without her . Good luck on your quit smoking campaign . I never smoked in my life so i cannot give you any advice.I go see my diabetes doctor next week can't wait till I get on the scale and she starts telling me to loose some weight. that's my New Year's Resolution . To move away from the table at the right time. And I think I'll stay up here and enjoy the Sunshine . !!!!!

Rex, sorry to hear about the dog. It is always hard to lose a beloved pet.

Paul, I've got to get some weight off myself as I am borderline diabetic and the weight loss can keep it in control. This holiday I know I have put on a few as I find that my belt seems to have shrunk.....

Philip I hope the radiator is still good. That way you can spend more on the hobby...... Right?

Evening gents,
Rex Sorry to hear that, you did the right thing sir and thats what matters.

just got some holiday pictures e-mailed to me from friends in NZ, they went to the coromandal for a few days, thats one stunning place and it's only an hour and half from were we are going to live,,, eventually
IMG_2119.jpg

On the brighter side, I began my New Year's resolution yesterday with beginning the Chantix "stop smoking" program. This is the prescription drug that has such good results. You start taking the pills for a week before actually quitting and then begin different pills and no smoking after that for 3 months. After 46 years of smoking, I need the extra help and will give it my best shot;) :D .
I smoked for 23 years. When I quit in the mid 90's I was smoking two and a half to three packs a day! I just put them down and didn't pick them up again. After two weeks I didn't want them anymore. What was my incentive? I woke up one morning and found that I could hardly breathe. I quit cold turkey right then and haven't touched tobacco since.

Afternoon, Everyone.
Rex, sorry about your dog but, as you say, at least he's not in pain any linger. That Chantix is showing up with interesting side effects that I hope your doctor discussed with you. The main one is that your middle leg stops doing anything fun. :eek: I hope it works out OK for you. I may give it a try depending on your report.

Jeffrey, I quit for five years and then started again. I'm a real nicotine addict. I've either been lucky or unlucky, depending on how you look at it, to not have any physical problems from smoking and I could no more quit cold turkey than fly to the moon. It was strange in Nepal when me and the porters were all puffing away at 17,000 feet. Most of the Sherpa porters smoke, live at high altitudes, and still live to be about 90. Go figure.

Steve, looks like a nice place to live down there and I'll bet they don't get much snow.

Phillip, you're supposed to put antifreeze in the radiator before it gets cold. :) I'm glad you got it fixed without any damage.

Paul, it doesn't sound you had a fun day either. I hope everything comes back looking good from the skin tests. I hate getting those warts burned off too.

Tom, sounds like you've got the back to work blues. :(. Things will be better tomorrow.

You guys up north have definitely sent your cold air down here. The low was 24 last night, the high was a rip-roaring 39, and it's already down to 30 at 5:20 pm. Looks like we could make it down into the mid-teens tonight. Clear as bell so no snow to worry about but this is one of those times being a smoker really does give you motivation to quit. I can't smoke in the house so I have to huddle up in my parka to have a quick puff or two. I'm thinking that pill isn't so bad now. :D

Rex I quit on Ash Wednesday in 1981 or 82. I walked into the Eagles and threw the last pack on the table and said I QUIT. They told me I had better take them with me but told I QUIT PERIOD. I lost ten pounds the first 6 weeks I quit. When I smoked I had a beer, soda, glass of iced tea or cool aid in one hand and the smoke in the other. When I quit I did not drink as many liquids. I hung out with the same guys at the same corner of the bar. They all smoked and it did not bother me. I was smoking 2 1/2 to 3 packs a day. It amazed them all including me. I guess I have more will power than I thought I had. I really started feeling better in about two weeks and it just kept getting better. I only wanted a cigarette three times since then and two of those times I was sitting on an inline at the factory. Good luck I tried 5 or 6 times before I made it.

Phillip, you're supposed to put antifreeze in the radiator before it gets cold. :) I'm glad you got it fixed without any damage.

I know....silly me believed my father in law when he said it was good, so I took his word and didn't check it. Lesson learned!

Happy New Year everyone. I've been busy and haven't been able to sit down at the puter long enough. I cleaned off the layout and ran a couple of trains for the 2yr old granddaughter. She was just transfixed by the trains. She has been liking trains for a while so I guess she is grandpa's little girl for sure.
Well It's been a hecktic couple of weeks and we're tired so I'll call it a night.
Good Night All

Thanks everyone for your kind words about "Mo". The wife is feeling the loss even more since she doesn't have those routines to do.

Paul: I have to go back to my skin Doc Monday to check three places on my back. I have already had 4 skin cancers removed. Just a stupid kid lying out in the sun with all the sweeties and getting burnt to a crisp. Heck, I thought a lifeguard tan was standard good health.:rolleyes:

Jeff and All: No way would I try cold turkey. I have tried before and would make it about 2 weeks and then say "Bull S***!) My wife quit cold after only two weeks with patches. I hope that quiting will also get me off my blood pressure pills and maybe the Prevacid as well. Neither of these problems are that bad and maybe the absent of nicotine will make a difference there.

Jim, I haven't heard or read anything about Chantix upsetting the middle leg :)eek: Yikes! I hope not.) There are several possible side effects, but all are minor and suppose to be short term. My wife's co-worker (woman) started it 2 months ago and says she hasn't had any desire to light up nor has she had any side effects (didn't bother her middle leg, :D :D ). I will keep you posted on my progress. Although I have already slowed down from my two packs per day, next week will be the big step with no smoking at all. FYI: My Blue Cross paid for of the first months prescription, except for $30 and the same for the following months. Also, if 3 months is not long enough, you can go additional months on the prescription. My Doc made mine out for 6 months...just in case.:D

HIYA TexasPaul!

Rex good luck quiting. I hope you make it and stay smoke free! I gave up smoking (cigars and pipe) over 30 years ago cold turkey. I came home from school one day, sat in my favorite chair, and lit up a cigar. My 5 year old son came over and sat in my lap, gave me a hug, and said, "Daddy, how come you tell all the kids at school not to smoke but you do?" I couldn't come up with an answer that made any sense at all. Finished that cigar, but the next day threw out all the rest of them and packed my pipe away in a drawer. Really missed it for a few weeks, but gradually I got so I didn't even want to be around anyone who was smoking. Well everyone except this old coot, My 94 year old Father-in-law:

CloseUpw.png

Oh, and BTW, Take all that $$$ that you've been spending on that hobby, set it aside, and see how long it takes to get a new Loco.......;) :D :D

Ray, the future of the unused cigarette money is in negotiations. I have a feeling that it will end up in the black hole of finance.:rolleyes: :D

Good Morning All ! Rex glad that your off to a good start I was doing ok yesterday till the wife said she wanted some Christmas cookies and then it hit me. Oh well try again today . Paul sure looks like you started your Granddaughter off right ! Steve that looks mighty inviting around now .It's a balmy 10 out now and heading up to 21 . Well got to get going and get some warm coffee inside. Have a nice day all !Morning Bill you sneeked in on me !!!

Good morning folks

Who left the door to the Artic open? It was 18 F with a wind chill of 5 F this fine crisp morning. It is supposed to reach a balmy 28 F.

If all goes well we are supposed to be having our new wall ovens delivered and installed. I wonder what gems of poor workmanship they will find when they remove the old ovens. Every repair job in our house is an adventure. I no longer try to fix things since the previous contractors jerry rigged and cheaply installed most things. I have had professional plumbers go out to their trucks mumbling to themselves like punch drunk boxers.

I finished weathering the trucks on the coil cars and reinstalled the wheels. I also continued weathering the hoods by hitting them with washes.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Back