Coffee Shop Part VII is now OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy folks!

Getting in here a little late today, I guess. Been a busy day. Worked sound at Church this morning and then enjoyed the "early" thanksgiving dinner put on for the end of our Stewardship Campaign. Then went to calling hours for an old friend who was the father of a model railroading friend and also the father of a dear Scouting friend and colleague. Andy himself was a Scouter most of his adult life. He was born in Scotland and his family came to the US when he was four years old. He served his adopted country during WWII in the US Navy on the U.S.S. Crowley in the Pacific Theater from 1941 to 1946. He will be Buried tomorrow fittingly on Veteran's Day. He was 84. I will be doing sound for his family at Church Tomorrow for his Memorial Service. One of his Son's and a Grandson will be singing during the service.

In other news, today was the day all the Maple trees in Geneva lost their leaves. This was not one of those one leaf at a time things, this was more like"OK, all together nowDUMP!. I was having breakfast and looked out the window at the Maple next door and leaves were dropping 100 at a time. The sun on the leaves was spectacular as well. I quick jumped up, got dressed, grabbed the camera, and went out on my porch. Immediately the leaves stopped falling......... Got a couple good shots though of the sun in the tree.

LeafFall1w.png

LeafFall3w.png

You can see the leaves on my old pop-up camper (Bottom left). There wasn't a leaf on the top of it last night. By the time I got home from the calling hours, the tree was basically bare. This happened all over Geneva.

I saw this on a other forum, and thought to share it here too, maybe some of U have already seen it or know about it.

STEEL CAR

Max, if you read the company news you will see where they are building a huge plant in NW Alabama that will make 8000 cars/year.

Ray, without a doubt Maple trees have the most beautiful leaves of all. (Even if your yard is 3 foot deep in them.:D :D )

Well, I went and did it!

I bought a camera!

I got just way too good of a deal to pass up, and I've been waiting for this one camera to hit the stores, but it keeps getting delayed.

I ended up getting a Canon Powershot S3 IS for $230 brand new. I also picked up a 2 gig memory card, a nice 3 legged tripod, a nice single legged stand, two new camera cases (a large carry all and a small grab and go), and Roxio Photosuite 10 (editing software). All in all, about 4 bills.

Now I need to pick up the telephoto and wide angle lenses..........oh, and I need to figure out how to use the thing!

Good morning.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 11/12/2007

Wind Chill: 62°F
Humidity: 91%
Dew Point: 60°F

So Far Today
High: 63°F
Low: 62°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 9mph SE

Now through 08:00 AM CST November 12, 2007
High: 80

Through 8 AM...scattered showers will continue to develop over the gulf waters and move north at 20 mph into portions of southeast Texas and central and southern Louisiana. The majority of the showers will be found between Merryville and Oakdale south to the coast between Sabine Pass and pecan island...extending into the coastal waters between High Island and Cameron out 40 nm. Rainfall will be light to moderate with rates between one tenth and one quarter of an inch per hour.

Today High: 80 Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers. Highs around 80. Southeast winds around 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 65 Mostly cloudy. Patchy dense fog after midnight. Lows in the mid 60s. Light and variable winds.

P1010001-27.jpg

Mornin' all!

It's looking wet out there, but at least it's not cold!

78122_G.jpg

Today : cloudy, warmer with spotty t-showers - high: 65
Tonight: rain and storms developing, rain heavy at times - low: 50

Just getting ready for another day of work. Wife has surgery tomorrow, so I don't know how much I'll be here for the next few days. She's a bit intimidated, but she's ready. I'm just praying for the best for her.

Oh well, I'd best get at it!

Later!

Man it's been a while since I've been in the coffee shop. Boy life has been busy around here, hopefully after my class this semester I'll get to spend some time on my layout doing scenery. Well it was good to stop in here, hope everyone has a great day.

Mornin' Bill!

Mornin' Jeffrey!

Mornin' Philip! Hope and pray that your wife comes through the surgery with flying colors! I'll keep all of you in my prayers.

Mornin' Nick! Good to see you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning one and all!

This day is shaping up to be the type of Monday that Garfield used to complain about. Starting yesterday at ~4:00pm, my kids started complaining that the family 'putor was running "really, really slow". Turns out it was invaded by a 'trojan horse' virus - these are especially insideous because they can lie undetected on a hard drive for up to several years, then be triggered by some random event or date change. Starting at 5am this morning, I spent over 2 hours on the phone with a Norton techie who remoted into my machine and went thru various gyrations and a half-dozen reboots to clean up the system. Just barely got into work on time.

Phillip - have fun with that new camera, those things can be habit-forming! BTW your wife's in my prayers for tomorrow...

Ray, that looks just like my yard. But I can always count on a good nor'wester to blast all of them off of the lawn and into a wooded 'wild' area :D.

Rex, that new NSC plant will definitely help Alabama's economy - I'm surprised they didn't outsource the work to China. (Oops I forgot, those things have to be safe and unleaded!)

Morning everyone! Hope you got the holiday off.
No plans here for the day, just taking it as it comes along. The wife is having a tooth pulled this a.m. so she won't want to do anything particular and I would probably be advised to stay clear:eek: :D :D . Guess I should rake pine straw and some leaves, but I would rather see if I can find something I want to do instead of what I should do:eek: .

Yeah Ken, the NSC plant, the new multi-billion dollar steel mill near Mobile, and all the auto plants and suppliers have really put Alabama on the upswing. However, while a good economy promotes growth, the problems of growth always try to negate the good economy. An example of this is when the Mercedes plant and suppliers located here in Tuscaloosa. They knew the existing infrastructure would be strained with the expected growth, but instead of jumping right in and trying to improve it, they continued their "...let's give this some careful thought and come back to it some time later" approach. Now, they are in a frenzy trying to make up time.

Philip, our thoughts and prayers for your wife and you.

Nick, don't get stale on MR...you may forget how to do it:D .

Aflternoon All ! Up all night with a bunch of kids at a bowling alley lockin. 83 kids and three of us to watch over them all . What a night . Phillip will be praying for your wife on her surgery . Looks like oil will be going up again. The Russians dumped over a million gallons in the Black Sea from storm. ray I have a big old maple tree behind my house. It gives off nice shade in the summer but yesterday I racked three bags of leaves up and it isn't near have way done dumping yet . My back is killing me. Oh well gonna go get a coffee and rest up the rest of the day. BTW How about those Bills ?

This day is shaping up to be the type of Monday that Garfield used to complain about. Starting yesterday at ~4:00pm, my kids started complaining that the family 'putor was running "really, really slow". Turns out it was invaded by a 'trojan horse' virus - these are especially insideous because they can lie undetected on a hard drive for up to several years, then be triggered by some random event or date change. Starting at 5am this morning, I spent over 2 hours on the phone with a Norton techie who remoted into my machine and went thru various gyrations and a half-dozen reboots to clean up the system. Just barely got into work on time.

I should keep my mouth shut and not say a word.........

Shhhhhh........but i don't have any virus detection or cleaning software on my computer at all.

I haven't had a virus on any of my systems since a "silverdust" was brought in on a floppy disk way back in 1996. I run all sorts of customer disks through and will get attachments from customers but I've never had any real trouble with virii, trojans, spyware or the likes.

Sorry to hear about your mishap.

Scoot

Thanks all for the prayers and well wishes. I'll pass them on to the wife.

Ken L., those trojans can be really nasty, huh? My kids stumble into those from time to time.

Scoot, I'm guessing the reason you've had fairly decent luck [so far] with MalWare is because of the sites you visit - or should I say, don't visit. A lot of places make stuff like music and video files available for free, that you'd otherwise have to pay for; they're often the ones that get you in trouble. Anybody and everybody can host files there, including troublemakers. I tell my kids to stay away from such places, but of course they find ways to go there when my back is turned :mad:

Phillip, I was lulled into a false sense of security these past 3 years after replacing my previous computer because of - you guessed it! - severe virus/adware infestation. I've always made sure my Norton Internet Security software was operational, with the most up-to-date virus indexes. Trouble is, really clever malware authors learn about the internals of tools like Norton and find ways to defeat them. (These guys actually spoofed a Norton dialog box to fool my daughter into allowing a spyware applet!) But at least nowadays, support techies can do all the virus removal work themselves over the web, rather than just trying to talk me thru doing it myself - I'm really thankful for that!

A lot of places make stuff like music and video files available for free, that you'd otherwise have to pay for; they're often the ones that get you in trouble. Anybody and everybody can host files there, including troublemakers. I tell my kids to stay away from such places, but of course they find ways to go there when my back is turned :mad:

That's exactly how I have inherited a very colorful and broad assortment of spywares, adwares, and some lovely little trojans! :eek:

That's exactly how I have inherited a very colorful and broad assortment of spywares, adwares, and some lovely little trojans! :eek:

Yes I'm picky about where I visit. I do have an iTunes account but my trust in Apple and Mac is beyond question. So far it hasn't let me down. I can of course pass PC virus' along to others but they have no effect on my OS. No (dot)DLL files or (dot)EXE files on me. I do run a copy of Windows XP on the PowerMac under Virtual PC but everything passes thru the iMac first.

Scoot

Good evening folks

It is 8:50 PM and it is the first time I have sat at the computer all day. The word for today is “pain”. My foot, my knees, and my legs are killing me. We had a busy weekend around these parts. My son distributed his Scouting for Food bags on Saturday and then we went flag shopping for a new American flag for our Cub Scout pack. It took three stores before we got everything we needed. Our previous flag will be properly retired/disposed of when we have a meeting with the Upper Darby Marine Corp League later this year.

On Sunday we went to Scout Night at the Philadelphia Phantoms game where our pack was one of the color guards, hence the new for a new flag to replace our old one. Today I had off from work but I spent the day Christmas shopping.

No modeling got done this weekend. I am working on a ceramic figurine for my wife. She thought it was a Santa Claus but it Father Time. I enjoy painting the ceramics because it gives me a chance to use bright colors instead of dull and dirty ones.

I hope everybody has a good evening.

Good morning.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446 11/13/2007

Wind Chill: 63°F
Humidity: 98%
Dew Point: 62°F

So Far Today
High: 63°F
Low: 62°F
Rain: 0.01"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 5mph NNE

Important Message

Dense fog advisory in effect until 9 AM cst this morning.

Today High: 80 Partly sunny. Areas of dense fog in the morning. Highs around 80. Light and variable winds.

Tonight Low: 65 Mostly cloudy. Areas of dense fog after midnight. Lows in the mid 60s. Light and variable winds.

shot1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back