Not open for further replies.
Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png

11-07-07

:eek:

donuts1.png
THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png

Good Morning Bill ! Well it snowed to the south of us up to 8 inches but that was in ski country . Off to my transplant doctors to get my yearly lecture and checkup. Bit of coffee and out th door .Have a great day all ! Oh Yeah it's a balmy 36 outside !

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning coffee clubbers!

Very little of anything noteworthy happening here today, just cold with a slight breeze. The way it ought to be this time of year. My son's school is closed today for teacher conferences, so at least I don't need to drive him this morning - gives me an extra half-hour before I need to leave the house.

A 'holy war' has broken out across the street, 4-by-8 versus non-4-by-8 layout builders. Some really passionate arguments being presented on both sides, a few spin-off threads have been spawned; but luckily the cooler heads seem to be prevailing! :D

Phillip, I haven't done any of my Christmas shopping yet either.

Jim, that reefer looks great! I've always wondered though, how they loaded the ice into those things. If it was 1-cubic-foot blocks, did they just sit on top of whatever it was they had to keep cold? I couldn't imagine letting one of those things drop 10' to the floor without damaging something...

Have a great day.

Good morning folks

The cooler weather is here. It was 37 F when I got in the van this morning. The high is supposed to be 52. The stores around here are already putting toys on sale and pushing Christmas, so the wife has begun some of the Christmas shopping for the kids. I am not sure but this maybe Santa’s last year. My daughter is 12 but she shows no signs of giving him up but the Easter Bunny, and Tooth Fairy are gone. My 9 year-old son, the logical one, is asking for scientific explanations of how Santa does his job. We may lose him first.

No modeling last night. I did run some trains, however.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Good morning.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 11/7/2007

Wind Chill: 39°F
Humidity: 56%
Dew Point: 28°F

So Far Today
High: 46°F
Low: 43°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 8mph ENE

Today High: 62 Mostly sunny. Highs in the lower 60s. Northeast winds around 10 mph in the morning becoming light and variable.

Tonight Low: 40 Mostly clear. Lows around 40. Light and variable winds.

P1010004-6.jpg

Mornin' everyone!

Not too many in yet this morning I see!

Well, when you all come dragging yourselves in here I'll have the coffee ready, OK?

coffee20addiction.png

If that doesn't get your attention, the weather outside around here will! It was a balmy 26 degrees when I hit the door this morning! Yeah buddy! That'll get your attention!

Afternoon
Ken
Christmas
AGHHHHHH NO,,,, not that word, it's only November

Today we are having fun fitting decoders,,, not,,,keep getting message on NCE cab, cannot read CV, all the decoders are the same, after much pressing of buttons i got one to accept it's new short address but the others, damn things won't play, they have accepted new acceleration/deceleration parameters etc, and operate on factory default of 3, apart from one which is lost in no mans land,,, i need a strong brew.

Today we are having fun fitting decoders,,, not,,,keep getting message on NCE cab, cannot read CV, ... i need a strong brew.

Steve, Welcome to the Install-Yer-Own-Decoders Club! This is part of the initiation rite, been there done that. I recommend you join this Yahoo group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NCE-DCC/

I belong to the Digitrax yahoo group and they've ALWAYS helped me with my dozens of DCC confusion episodes.

Philip! Now ya done did it.... That offer of intravenous Java has the place full! OK I'll just stand over by the cash register and ..... What, Flo, I can't put it on Fergies tab..... He's a couple months over due on account??? Hey where has Fergie been lately? I've seen him over across the street. We seem to have several MIAs around here.

Yeh, Larry, Claudia hasn't been in for some time. Maybe she is on a diet and doesn't want to be tempted by bill's donuts........

Afternoon, everyone. Spent the morning playing taxi, taking my daughter to work and the wife is now at the dentist getting a bunch of fillings done. It was 34 degrees here last night, the coldest temps we've had. It's amazing, the trees have all started to turn overnight. It's quite surprising how colorful fall can be in central Alabama. It's 66 and breezy now, cooler than the last week but better than 26!

Tom, I ran my own project management consulting firm and worked on a few road projects like yours. No one was ever happy so you just come up with the best plan you can and then kick butt to stay on schedule. That was my job and I had a lot of subs that wanted to kick my butt.:) I worried about them more than any outraged citizen - some of those guys would beat up their mother if they were mad enough. Since this was my "real" job and my avocation was reserve deputy sheriff, I was usually armed at all times and I let a few of those guys know it. It probably saved me from getting slugged a time or two. :)

Paul, I hope all goes well at the doctor's.

Ken, seems like there's always a holy war across the street about something...that's why I'm here instead. Thanks for the compliment about the reefer. I'm old enough to remember icing docks and ice reefers when they were in use. None of the ice ever touched the load except for a brief experiment in top icing, which was found to be both inefficient and unhealthy. The ends of the cars were ice bunkers that were heavily lined with timbers or, later, steel plate. They dumped in either 50 pound blocks of ice or crushed ice and a brine solution. The block ice was for thing like produce, that needed to be kept at 40 degrees or so, and the ice and brine solution was for meats that need to be kept frozen. There were vents at the top of the ice bunkers and the ventilator hatches on top of the cars were kept open to circulate the cold air. Axle driven fans were used in later cars. I've always been fascinated with the whole way ice reefers worked and I like the looks of them. Theres a good article about them at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refrigerator_car.

Jeffrey, it looks like we will get a little colder than you tonight. They have freeze warnings out here. I think it's time to chop down the banana tree.

Phillip, there have been times when some IV coffee would have worked wonders. :)

Steve, all my DCC engines came with decoders so I haven't experienced the fun of installing any yet. It's right up there with a colonoscopy of things I'm looking forward to. Maybe Ken can help you - I know I sure can't.

Ray, I'm the one that needs to be on a diet. I love donuts. :)

The downtown beautification committee had to dig up all the trees they installed last month because they all died. Apparently they weren't the right kind of tree or something. I got one of those pine bough things at Walmart yesterday and, with some paint for the trunks on the parts I tear off, some shearing to shape them up, and some dullcote, they look like pretty convincing Southern Pines. I'll post some pictures when the committee gets them all planted. I can to do all of downtown for $3 so the taxpayers are happy. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh, Larry, Claudia hasn't been in for some time. Maybe she is on a diet and doesn't want to be tempted by bill's donuts........
I've been wondering, I have not seen her post on Socalrailfan.com either, though I have not been there in 2 weeks.

Paul, I hope your trip to Strong was a good one this morning and that you don't get much lake effect tonight. Now Central Square on the other hand is getting their usual late Fall weather... From the National Weather Service:

/O.NEW.KBUF.LE.Y.0023.071107T2028Z- 071108T1200Z/ WAYNE-NORTHERN CAYUGA- OSWEGO- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF... NEWARK...FAIR HAVEN...OSWEGO 328 PM EST WED NOV 7 2007

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST THURSDAY.

A BAND OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO BECOME BETTER ORGANIZED THIS EVENING AND IS EXPECTED TO PERSIST TONIGHT ACROSS PORTIONS OF NORTHEAST WAYNE...NORTHERN CAYUGA... AND SOUTHERN OSWEGO COUNTY. THE SNOW MAY BE MIXED WITH RAIN INITIALLY THIS EVENING...ESPECIALLY ALONG THE LAKE ONTARIO SHORE. PRECIPITATION SHOULD CHANGE TO ALL SNOW AND SNOW PELLETS OVERNIGHT AS TEMPERATURES DROP TO JUST BELOW FREEZING.

LOCALIZED ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 5 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE BY THURSDAY MORNING...ESPECIALLY FOR AREAS INLAND FROM THE IMMEDIATE LAKESHORE IN NORTHEAST WAYNE...NORTHERN CAYUGA... AND SOUTHERN OSWEGO COUNTY. THIS INCLUDES LOCATIONS SUCH AS WOLCOTT... RED CREEK...CATO...MARTVILLE... HANNIBAL...AND PHOENIX.

IN LAKE EFFECT SNOW THE WEATHER CAN VARY FROM LOCALLY HEAVY SNOW IN NARROW BANDS TO CLEAR SKIES JUST A FEW MILES AWAY. IF YOU WILL BE TRAVELING ACROSS THE REGION BE PREPARED FOR RAPID CHANGES IN ROAD AND VISIBILITY CONDITIONS. INITIALLY WET ROADS THIS EVENING WILL BECOME SNOW AND ICE COVERED AND EXTREMELY SLIPPERY OVERNIGHT.

Oh yeh a lot of the places mentioned are Northeast of where I live by a few miles. I should see white on the ground tomorrow but only an inch or so. In the mean time the wood stove is fired up and it is toasty warm in here! Unfortunately I have a Deacons Meeting at Church tonight.

Hi Everyone, Just a short note to say I won't be on the forum for awhile. Maybe 6 months or more. Having a lot fo problems w/my PC & my dialup ISP.
Don't know which one is causing the most problems. So, until I can rake up some bucks to buy a new PC, I'll sign off for awhile. Maybe see you next year around June.
Take Care You-All,
Larry

Evening Friends: Just a quick note to say that I'm still around. Mary Ann and I hauled hay today. Yes I used the new tractor and it was great. Right now I'm pooped.
I'll see you all later.

Larry, are you able to send e-mail? If so, please PM or e-mail me and I'll see if I can help. Assuming the hardware still works, there shouldn't be any reason for your ISP not to work. I'm sure the problems can be solved so you don't have to take six months off. Sometimes a new PC not only doesn't cure problems, it makes them worse.

Oh, yeah. It's my birthday.

I actually hooked up my Zephyr to test my track (and check that I remembered the lights right for Sinobar). Well my switcher fires right up and heads down the track--until it hits the first turnout. Abut then I realized that I gapped the frogs and I'll have to wire every piece of track before I can test the layout. I was hoping I could test all the turnouts before I glued
them down.

Happy bitrhday Space Mouse.

Good morning.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 11/8/2007

Wind Chill: 52°F
Humidity: 52%
Dew Point: 35°F

So Far Today
High: 52°F
Low: 51°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 6mph SE

Today High: 72 Mostly cloudy. Highs in the lower 70s. Light and variable winds.

Tonight Low: 48 Mostly cloudy. Lows in the upper 40s. Light and variable winds.

Imag0003-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back