Coffee Shop Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chip, I think the wide angle and telephoto lens' are add ons to the standard lens. In other words, you snap the new lens onto the one already on there.....I think.

Ray,

I know your Rebel can do it, but that is an SLR.

His lists a range not a minimum, and the latter camera he posted specifically says the same thing on the lens 2.8-4.8 , then in the text says f2.8 [t]- f4.8 [w] which tells me that cannon uses a range on it's fixed lenses. the Fuji I got was a fixed lens SLR, but could go down to f8. Mine takes 55mm adapters so I would assume the Cannon Phillip is looking at would also use lens rings.

Ugh, Canon has announced the powershot G9.

Plus all the other players like Olympus, Nikon, Samsung, and a horde of others........how on earth does anyone ever make a choice? There's too much to pick from!

Don't we all wish we had such a problem when buying train stuff?

SD40-2 KCS #662 on the newly ballasted siding of my KCS southern division.
first-1.jpg

Good morning.

There's a 50% chance of rain today with a high of 88.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114
9/1/2007

Heat Index: 78°F
Humidity: 74%
Dew Point: 66°F

So Far Today
High: 74°F
Low: 72°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 6mph NNE

Today High: 88 Cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 80s. Light and variable winds becoming northeast around 10 mph in the afternoon.

Tonight Low: 68 Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the upper 60s. Light and variable winds.

mkt1.jpg

Mornin' All!

What a beautiful day out there!

Supposed to get up to 81 degrees today with low humidity and lots of sunhine. Should be a great day! Looks nice now, that's for sure!

temps.jpg

Well, this last few days I've been busy learning how much I didn't know about cameras. I mean, I knew I didn't know anything really, but I had no idea how much nothing I didn't know! Does that make sense?

I have remembered you all in my prayers, asking that God would show Himself to each and every one of you in a special way.

God Bless!

Mornin' Bill!

Mornin' Jeffrey!

Mornin' Philip! God bless you sir, and good luck with your camera hunt. I too have spent a bit of time learning about the language of camera and had no idea how much there is to learn. I am lucky to have a couple well known Pros here in Geneva as friends that I can call or e-mail with questions about photography. They have been very helpful over the past year (One has won top honors in contests of the Professional Photographers Society at the State level). Here is an article about him http://www.hws.edu/news/update/showwebclip.asp?webclipid=2601 He used to be a member of my Troop Committee back when I was a Scoutmaster. That's why they call a camera that you just point at something and then shoot, a "Point and Shoot" I guess....

Ray,

I know your Rebel can do it, but that is an SLR.

His lists a range not a minimum, and the latter camera he posted specifically says the same thing on the lens 2.8-4.8 , then in the text says f2.8 [t]- f4.8 [w] which tells me that cannon uses a range on it's fixed lenses. the Fuji I got was a fixed lens SLR, but could go down to f8. Mine takes 55mm adapters so I would assume the Cannon Phillip is looking at would also use lens rings.

Hey Chip.... That is the range of maximum opening it doesn't list the minimum opening! Look at the lenses for the SLR Cameras. It is listed the same way. They only list the Maximum aperture for the lens and that depends on where the zoom (and focus) is. The specs on the lens I have say f1.5 - 3.5. I also know that I can bring it down to f29 or more depending on the zoom (and focus) on the lens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning Bill, Jeffrey , Phillip & Ray !! And a very nice day it is here on the Niagara Frontier High in the 70's and no clouds or humidity! I'll have a cup of cpffee Flo with some rye toast . Hope everyone else has a nice Saturday also !!

Since I have a problem reading the specs, do you have a way of telling what the camera Phillip is looking at is the smallest aperture he can use and if it is adjustable. In model photography, being able to control the aperture is paramount in my book.

I admit I am not even a rank amature when it comes to the nitty gritties of photography. I did however, have help selecing my cameras by a pro.

Since I have a problem reading the specs, do you have a way of telling what the camera Phillip is looking at is the smallest aperture he can use and if it is adjustable. In model photography, being able to control the aperture is paramount in my book.

I admit I am not even a rank amature when it comes to the nitty gritties of photography. I did however, have help selecing my cameras by a pro.

In a word, No! That is why he needs to talk with someone at a camera shop and actually find out what the total range of f/number is on whatever camera and lens he ends up with. I totally agree with you about being able to control the aperture to be able to get model photography shots. (Hence my spending a small fortune on the SLR camera......) ;) If Philip is looking for a "point and Shoot" the one he is looking at has excellent specs. But........ It is not an SLR EOS camera. My only point is that we don't know how far down the camera can go, but since it has Tv and other manual modes, it should be able to be adjusted down. How far, it doesn't say.

BTW, I consider myself very much of an amateur in the field of photography as well. I know the theory fairly well but don't yet have the skill to use it effectively.

If you want to see the math, check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field or here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number

Looking at those has made me decide not to take the course offered at Hobart (by the other pro) on photography.....:eek: ;) :D

Afternoon Ray, Chip and Paul

just got in from a busy day at our local heritage line, it was diesel gala day, loads of nice smelly diesels and not a kettle in sight, bought a bag full of wagons, had to sneak them into the house as i spent a little to much.

BTW, I consider myself very much of an amateur in the field of photography as well. I know the theory fairly well but don't yet have the skill to use it effectively.

If you want to see the math, check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field or here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number

Looking at those has made me decide not to take the course offered at Hobart (by the other pro) on photography.....:eek: ;) :D

When I went DSLR I was, to a point, out of my league as new technology brought new challenges and new tools. So I went out and got... You guessed it:rolleyes:

"Digital SLR Photography with Photoshop CS2 All-in-One for DUMMIES:D
Great little book which fills in the blanks

Fergie

Hey guys, we have bunch of talented photographers here so I have a request. I need a bunch of photographs that I can use in developing a series of eBooks. The photos I use will not get compensation other than bragging rights. But hey, it's cool to tell people that you have published photos right.

What I am looking for is anything that shows abundance, which is virtually unlimited in scope. These can be nature shots. They can be people being happy. They can be smiling kids. They can be family shots or people in love. They should be good quality, of course.

A great example would be Steve B. Picture of his daughter. I like this one my wife took.

tn_ShaneSky0356.jpg

They should be pictures that uplift the spirit.

Send them to me at chip@vitaconnect.com.

Thanks guys.

I've been doing some roofing today. Really needed to be done before the cold weather sets in. I have forgotten how much work roofing is. Photos soon....

edit: Now on WPF!

Fergie - good to see you back again. I know this is a tad late but, condolences on your Dad!

Nothing noteworthy going on here today. Installed a few decoders in some Athearn AC4400CW's, probably the fastest install jobs I ever ever did - shells popped right off, decoders plugged right in, and I had the 4-digit addresses progammed - all within 10 minutes for each unit. Man I wish they all could be that easy...

Made another attempt to do photos in 'manual' mode on my camera this evening, but I'm just too camera-illiterate to understand how shutter speeds are represented. Hopefully I can get some specialized training at the local Ritz store where I originally bought this thing. (And maybe check out Fergie's book while I'm at it)

Chip, none of my digital pics from the last 3 years are of the type you're asking for, but I got a bunch of really good ones on my wife's Nikon FA back when we were first married and traveling around the country alot. I can try scanning those in - once I find where we've stashed them, that is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back