Coffee shop part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blimey, sounds like a bad weather day over the pond, nice and sunny but cold here,,, but it's set to deteriorate very soon into hell again

Afternoon, everyone. I'll take a decaf with double cream when the flatcar comes around again.

The MR forums are working as of the time of this posting but I do notice they changed the order of some of the sub-forums so someone has been doing some work. Do you think they may have {GASP} improved their authentication security to keep people like our friend out? Nah!

Tom, sounds like the same old stuff I had to go through when I was working. Nothing ever changes. The people that actually ried to do a good job kept batting their heads against a brick wall while the morons kept collecting a paycheck. I just went back to my cube and worked on layout plans. :)

We had a good rain yesterday but boy, the wind really blew. Had 59 mph gusts before midnight and 62 mph gusts after midnight, all from a cold front passage. I'm surprised all my trees are still up because there were a lot down in the county yesterday. Anyway, time to get my three month delayed haircut so I'll see you all later.

"time to get my three month" Jim If I waited that long I would look like the shaggy dog. About every six weeks fer me at the hair cutters palace. If fact I was there yesterday. A little on the cool side with the minus degree temps but at least my hat now fits me.

01-31-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

This is my last day on the Norfolk Southern payroll ! I will start retirement tomorrow although I have been on vacation since last Thanksgiving. It will end my family's 98 year association with the Norfolk Southern (starting with the Lake Erie &Western).

TIPTONDEPOT.png

:eek:

Buffet.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png

BreakfastMenu.png
waitress1.png

Morning all!

Supposed to get a bunch of snow this evening. They're saying up to 10" out west of us a bit! Should make tomorrow mornings commute interesting!

Son has a game tonight. Hope they win! His team is doing real well this year.

Bill, many congrats man!

Oh well, off to work.

Later!

Good morning folks

24 F was the temperature this morning as I hit the road. Our high is supposed to be 40 F. Tonight we are supposed to get a mix of snow and sleet. It should make for a real interesting commute tomorrow morning.

I got out of the house late this morning. My foot was really bothering me and it took some extra time to get going because of it. The pain has gone down some now but it is still making things uncomfortable. I guess I over did it at the pack meeting last night.

No modeling last night. I am beginning to wonder if I will ever get the TOFCs weathered. Tonight will be another long one. My wife is doing an Outreach for the Museum in Dover, DE. Since it is close to a two hour drive one way from our house I will probably go with her. She does not like driving long distances by herself particularly at night. Her presentation is on manatees. Apparently the Outreach director found out that a couple of years ago on vacation in FL we swam with the manatees.

Bill congratulations on your upcoming retirement!

I hope everybody has a good day.

Mornin' Bill! Congrats on the retirement! Your gonna love it!

Mornin' Tom! Swimming with Manatees? Cool! I stay away from beaches. Every time I go to one and get smoe sun, some well meaning people try to throw me back in........

Anyone else that can't get into the forum at Trains.com? I haven't been able to access it for 2 days. I can go to my account on the main page, but no luck getting into the discussions. I keep getting a message that the page isn't there.

Good morning.

We're under a tornado watch this morning until one pm. I hope nothing comes of it.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 1/31/2008

Wind Chill: 43°F
Humidity: 73%
Dew Point: 40°F

So Far Today
High: 48°F
Low: 43°F
Rain: 0.02"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 23mph SE

TORNADO WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WT 29
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
803 AM CST THU JAN 31 2008

TORNADO WATCH 29 REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 100 PM CST FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

ACADIA, ALLEN, AVOYELLES, BEAUREGARD, CALCASIEU, CAMERON,
EVANGELINE, IBERIA, JEFFERSON DAVIS, LAFAYETTE, RAPIDES, ST. LANDRY, ST. MARTIN, ST. MARY, VERMILION, VERNON

Now through 09:00 AM CST January 31, 2008

Through 9 AM...isolated showers and thunderstorms will continue to develop and move quickly northeast across the region. Rainfall amounts will average a tenth of an inch...although any storms which develop will produce up to a half-inch in an hour.

Today High: 62 Showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may be severe with large hail and damaging winds. Highs in the lower 60s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph shifting to the southwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 80 percent.

Tonight Low: 35 Mostly clear. Colder. Lows in the mid 30s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning everyone! Large double double for me pleeez...

Bill, congrats on the official day. I envy you man - long way to go for me...

What a year for weather!! We had a quick thaw a few days ago then now a deep freeze to make all the roads nice and dangerous. Yesterday, two counties in the area closed all their roads. Damn, why didn't they worry so much about road safety when I wuz a kid so I coulda gotten all the snow days off?? :)

Take care...
Mark

Good day all!
Well, my mom decided to go to the rehab for 21 days. Now I hope she will like it enough to consider assisted living.

Big Congrats, BILL!

Ray, don't know if you are still having problems, but I signed-on as usual to trains.com. Did you pay your bill?:D

Good day all!
Ray, don't know if you are still having problems, but I signed-on as usual to trains.com. Did you pay your bill?:D

I got in touch with Crandell who said the forum was up and running, so I e-mailed Bergie who got right back to me and said all is well as far as he could see and what was it doing exactly. I went to reply to him and wanted to send him the URL of the page that kept coming up. Whalla! I was in. So when Bergie checked my account, something must have gotten reset...... Who knows, but all is now well. I do like the new added Forum on the list.

BTW, I hope your Mom likes rehab. If she does, she will love being in assisted living. Went through the whole process with my Mom. She was scared to death when we got her in an assisted living home. She was visibly shaking while I drove her there. Made me feel very bad but it was the only good choice for her at that time. Within two weeks she loved the place, the nurses, and the people in charge. She was able to keep her old cat (which I now have) so she ended up well cared for and very happy. Mom was in assisted living up to 6 weeks before she died after breaking her hip. The old kitty, Sheila, is now 21 years old and still is a sweet old girl. I will miss her when she is gone.

Afternoon, everyone.

Bill, congrats on the retirement although I suppose it's a little bittersweet. When my grandmother dies about 10 years ago, that ended almost 100 years of someone working for the NKP or successor roads. She was a rate clerk for the W&LE, then the NKP, and then N&W when she retired. I had an great uncle who was an engineer for the NKP and another who was a conductor for the N&W. My last family link was my uncle who retired about 15 years ago and died about five years ago. He was road foreman for the N&W.

Larry, I DID look like a sheep dog. I know when I can't see past my hair, it's time for a haircut. :)

Phillip, I hope that heavy snow stays out to the west of you. It's always so hard to tell who will get dumped on up there.

Tom, it looks like you're going to have learn that "No" is a complete sentence. You need some down time.

Jeffrey, things look a little rough for you on the radar. That same system is supposed to get us tonight but I think the the temperatures and dewpoints will remain too low for us to get anything severe. It's only 46 here now.

Mark, the only time we ever had the schools close was if we had no power. Ice was no big deal. Most of us walked to school ad we slipped and slid our way to class. Kids now are such wimps. :D

Steve, sounds like batten down the hatches weather. It's times like this that make you glad you don't have a garden railway.

Rex, glad to hear you got your mom in rehab. I hope it's a good place and, like Ray wrote, maybe she will be more amenable to assisted living after the rehab. Just make sure you really check out any place you're thinking of using. Alabama has extraordinarily weak regulations for assisted living facilities. My daughter works in one now that really has serious staffing and physical plant issues. I filed a written complaint with the state department of public health on January 10 and they still have not made an inspection. When I was a nursing home administrator in California, the state would be in within two day of someone filing a complaint. Not bashing Alabama here but the DPH either needs to hire some more inspectors or get its act together.

Ray, it wasn't you, they were definitely doing some work over at the MR forum. I suspect they were trying some IP blocking software and your IP may have been one on the list. That won't stop Al from getting in unless they increase their authentication security but it's a quick fix a lot of websites use.

It's cloudy, showery, and cold here today. This is one time I really wish I had a heated workshop. I've been battling with getting a DCC decoder to work with my P2K E-7 but there's definitely a short in the engine somewhere. I'll have to tear it apart and trace the wiring and check the circuit board and see if I can find the problem. I'll have to wait until my fingers warm up though. :)

Afternoon, everyone.

Ray, it wasn't you, they were definitely doing some work over at the MR forum. I suspect they were trying some IP blocking software and your IP may have been one on the list. That won't stop Al from getting in unless they increase their authentication security but it's a quick fix a lot of websites use.

Yep, the first time I couldn't get in, the screen came up that said my IP was being blocked. After that I kept getting a "the page doesn't exist on this server" type message at the site. I know Road runner blocks me getting e-mail directly from the forum (this one as well) as they consider it to be a spammer (and I might add that jumping up and down and screaming at the idiots that are called technitions doesn't help......). Now they let all kinds of e-mails through every day telling me insider info on the stock market from some fly by night in Nigeria as well as ads for products to make me ....ah..... shall we say , bigger....;) . But forums, they block.:mad: :confused:

Rex Thats a good start anyhow,,, maybe she will consider it better after a break.

Jim LOL, still no snow but the wind, it's coming from all directions, a man died earlier after his truck was blown away and loads of trees down round the local area, mad.

Jeffrey, things look a little rough for you on the radar. That same system is supposed to get us tonight but I think the the temperatures and dewpoints will remain too low for us to get anything severe. It's only 46 here now.
Some of the lightning from that system took out the power lines about two miles from here. They were back in service in a couple of hours. The same storm knocked out cable service (internet included) for the entire area. It was down about five hours.

'Evening coffee clubbers!

Bill, I'll add to the chorus of 'congrats' about your retirement - enjoy!

Steve, that sounds like a really nasty storm that's pounding you across the pond :eek: hope you get thru it unscathed!

Jeffrey, looks like you got thru your storm system OK [without any tornadoes at least]...

Ray, glad to see your MR forum access issue was resolved. I have a separate mailbox that I'm trying to setup right now and it keeps getting filled up with spam too. I've added all sorts of filters, but they [the spammers] always seem to be one step ahead of me :mad: It's always puzzled me as to why spamming is such a lucrative business, I'd think most people would refuse to do business with any company that advertises so obnoxiously...

Phillip, good luck to your son with tonight's game!

Jim, sounds like you need to head down to WallyWorld and pickup a space heater [or two] :D

Rex, hope everything works out for your Mom. Speaking of which...

...I was at my MIL's house last night, on the phone with Comcast tech support - helping to restore her internet connection which malfunctioned shortly after GrandDad's death. She wants to learn basic web skills such as email and ordering groceries online, and I'm 'spoon-feeding' her lessons. 87yrs old and she's just now learning how to use computers and the 'net, bless her soul!

Last edited by a moderator:
Evening All ! Glad to see all survived the wicked weather .Our Lake Erie hit the second highest level it's been in recorded history from the wind storm. Was at Niagara Falls last night and they had two Coast Guard Cutters breaking up the ice last night so it would keep flowing over the falls . Very dangerous work but a must to keep the power grids up and running . Bill congratulations on your retirement . Time to sit back and take it easy. Rex glad to hear your mother is getting help and getting better . Just heard a story on local TV that a 82 year old woman with Alzheimers was raped in a nursing home in our area. have to be vigilant everywhere I guess. Well hoping everyone has a nice evening !!

Could someone tell me why post from 3 years ago are suddenly popping back up on the forum? Is this a joke or does someone just have a slow operating sysytem ?

Hi Paul, it's being looked into and it will stop one way or the other :D
Cheers Willis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back