Coffee shop part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rex, I have no argument that California doesn't do some pretty dumb things as well so this was not a knock against Alabama. There are states, like Kansas and Oklahoma, that are requiring storm shelters in all new residential and commercial construction. I think this has been in effect in Oklahoma for at least five years. I'm personally in favor of such a thing but, again, it may end up pricing some folks out of a home. Of course, Kansas is at much greater risk for tornados than Alabama and one of the reasons I'm here is that most of us get to decide what is acceptable risk without government mandates.

I think we are both in agreement on mobile home parks. Those structures are so inherently dangerous that there's no reason not to mandate a congregate shelter. The cost would be spread out over all the homes in the park so the cost issue would have much less impact than requiring all single family homes to have a shelter.

Ken, thanks, things are slowly returning to mormal. We'll know it's all back to normal when the Walmart store rebuilds. :) Good luck with the home sale. I hope the resale market is better shape than here. Just sold the wife's old house after a year on the market and for 20% less than our asking price. :(

02-19-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png
Buffet.png

:eek:

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png

BreakfastMenu.png
waitress1.png

Good morning folks

It is 36 F with a high of 45 F. Tomorrow is supposed to be another messy evening rush hour with rain turning to snow. It seems like every Wednesday this month we have some kind of winter precipitation.

I am heading into work late today. My son jammed his finger sometime in the last few days. We found it about it yesterday. We iced and it took some of the swelling down but we are heading to the doctor’s this morning.

I am still recovering from the sleepover from Saturday night at the museum. I still feel like I haven’t caught up on all my sleep. Yesterday the kids spent the day over a friend’s house that moved from the neighborhood. They moved about a half an hour away and the kids can only get to together a few times a year now. I spent the day running errands so I never it made it to the computer until after 11 PM.

I did get some modeling done. I continued weathering the flat cars. They are now ready for airbrush weathering.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Good Morning !! Bill , Tom & Steve , Well another howling night here bringing in another low front . I cannot remember so much strong wind as of late.Seems like every few days another high wind warning. I should feel so bad . Up in Montreal , Canada they are up to 132 inches of snow!! Next time I complain about a few inches just kick me. Steve that is one awesome Loco. looks like it was really trying to build up some power. Was it going up a long grade ? Gotta get going so hope that all have a real nice day ! Jim I just wonder . What is the cost of someone's life ? Is that not the bottom line . Tom I can remember when my daughters had sleep overss. It took me a week to recover . Jim sorry to hear about the hand hope it gets well fast . NZ Ken good luck on the home search . Rex you should live in New York . You need a permit just to breath. And in my city don't even tell the city your remodeling your home unless they can see it . They have a building inspector who watches the building inspector !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning all!

It's a brisk 9 degrees out there this morning. Throw in the wind chill and it's basically -11. Yeah, that'll get your attention! Walked out of the house this morning with damp hair and by the time I got to the car (10 or 20 steps) my hair was frozen. Got the coffee brewing here now though.

Well, my son is still selling those pizzas. He's sold a ton of then so far. He has to turn in his sales on Saturday, so he's knocking it out.

He's also decided to do the pinewood derby at our church. He got the kit last Saturday night and we're going to start carving tonight I think. I have to find out what the rules are as far as adding weight as he'd like to be as competetive as possible without breaking any rules. I figured we'd go with some graphite on the axles and such too. And if any of you have any speed secrets for these things, we're all ears!

Oh well, I'm outta here!

Later!

Phillip just make sure you have the right amount of weight and graphite the wheels up . Also lot of trial runs to fine tune that baby .

Good, evening, guys. My typing will be even worse than normal because My left hand is swollen to twice its normal size and I have septicemia. I got it from our cat

The pain was about an 11 on a 1-10 scale. :( I got to the doc and she put me on Clindamycin, which should stop this before it gets into my lymph system, which would be a very bad thing.
Indeed it would be a bad thing, for sure. I've had septicemia and staph, both of which got into my lymph system. I never knew anything could hurt that much! They had me on Cipro, Clindamycin and a few other things for about a week in hospital and another month and a half at home to get it cleared up. I have no desire to repeat the experience.

Good morning.

It's 38 degrees here now under clear sunny skies, expecting a high of 70.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 2/19/2008

Wind Chill: 40°F
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 36°F

So Far Today
High: 40°F
Low: 35°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 0mph NNE

Today High: 68 Sunny. Highs in the upper 60s. Light and variable winds.

Tonight Low: 45 Increasing clouds. Not as cool. Lows in the mid 40s. Light and variable winds.

Mornin' everyone!

Jim Hope your hand is getting better! Your cat probably thought it was going to be eaten by the storm and that you were there to do it in....... My prayers to all those affected by the storms down there.

Philip, one thing often overlooked with the pinewood derby cars is the the wheel axels (the nails) have to be perfectly straight. Some times the slots in the wood block are not cut quite right. Lots of powdered graphite and (unless they have changed it) 5 ounces of weight balanced across the entire car. My oldest son and I used to use lead weights to bring it almost up to the limit, and then add small brass screws to have it right at 5 oz. He used to get the look of disbelief when the car was weighed in........ One nice thing about useing some small screws is that if their scale shows it being over, it can be easily corrected by removing one screw. Have fun! That's what it is all about.

Ken M, good to see you! Wondered what you had been up to. Another new house? Good luck on it.

132 inches of snow in Montreal, wow! but then again they have winter carnivals and all that sort of stuff there. Now I assure you this is definitely not a complaint but there's little if any snow on my property (some in the trees). There's green in the grass, but I suspect that's the weeds getting a head start for this summer. It rained all day yesterday so I took the car out of the garage to get the salt residue washed off it. Today its a cool 40F and sun shining. Jim that's a bummer about your hand, be careful as it's nothing to be careless about, it's very serious indeed, so take care.
Just time for a cuppa
pubimage.gif
and be on my way.

Cheers Willis

Afternoon, everybody.

Tom, I remember doing sleepovers with kids too and it always took me a week to recover. I hope your son's finger is OK.

Jeffrey, I imagined that you've had something like this before. The infiltrate has stopped moving up my arm although my hand is still very swollen. It looks like the Clindamycin is getting the infection under control. Thanks goodness for modern medicine and thank goodness for Vicodin. I'm not much of a wimp but that pain was really unbearable. Now it just hurts but it doesn't feel like my hand wants to leave my arm any longer. I hope you don't have to go through something like this again.

Steve, great video. I guess one of the reasons why I always liked steam engines is that they always sounded live living, breathing beast, not just mere machines. I wonder if they'll ever have a sound card that will really make a steam engine sound the one in the video?

Paul, that's a good question about the value of a human life. It's obviously priceless but what people in a region can afford still rules.

Phillip, the only tip I have is when I used to help my sons with pinewood derby cars was that the axles got a good coating of pure silicone spray before the graphite, I don't know if that's legal now but the rolling resistance was about as close to zero as you can get.

Ray, I think the cat really does have some kind of receptors we don't have and he knew something bad was about to happen. I suspect he wanted to stay by the window so he knew which way to run when whatever evil thing that was coming to get him arrived, Unfortunately, he thought I was the evil thing. Poor thing, he keeps giving me this look when I change my dressing like he knows he did it and is sad about it.

I can't even imagine 132 inches of snow. We had a storm in Cleveland when I was a kid that dropped 42 inches of snow and nothing moved in the city for a week. I guess Montreal has it down when it comes to handling snow.

It's a beautiful, sunny day here with a temperature of 68. You would never know that anything bad happened 48 hours ago. The weekend is still looking a little worrisome but I'm praying that God gives us a break on this one. As you might imagine, I have done zero modeling since Sunday afternoon. All the things I thought were really important and frustrating about the layout Sunday morning seem to be awfully minor right now.

Good evening folks

My son’s finger is doing better. His pediatrician has walk in time from 7:45 AM to 8:30 AM. We got there at 7:55 AM and were 22nd on the list. I knew we were in for a long one at that point. He got seen around 8:40. Then we had to go down the hall for X-rays and another wait. Come back to the pediatrician and wait some more. Finally about 10:45 AM we were on our way home since it was too late to take him to school. The good news is no broken finger, just a bad sprain. He needs to ice it and Motrin.

I just finished emailing all my Den Leaders to get their awards lists in so I can hit the Scout Store this week and pick stuff up. Our pack meeting is next week.

I think I may try to fire up the airbrush and do some weathering. I still have trailers, a couple of trucks, and some crates to seal also.

I hope everybody has a good evening.

February golf

Good morning everyone.
Jim I hope your feeling better. Being that my wife is a retired nurse I asked her to look at your post because I had no clue what septicemia was.
Well if it’s above freezing Friday I guess I’ll play golf again. Last Friday we played a New York City course. It was the only course open and they got us for $32.00 for a weekday and walking. I thought that was kind of high for February, but like my friend said, when it’s the only game in town you have to pay.

NYC_George

Good Morning !!! Bill & George , The sun looks like it wants to make a showing after another couple of inches of snow overnight . The radio said we got three inches our way but I think that is stretching it a bit. Gonna go out and shovel and see. Sorry George thats about it on my golf swing. hope everyone has a better day today then yesterday !!!!!

You upstate guys do a lot of shoveling Paul.

We have to to wade through all that stuff the "rotten" apple throws our way...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

Oh BTW. Mornin' Bill!

Paul, I got up this morning expecting there would be some white stuff outside and was greeted with bright sunshine. So to celebrate, I'm going to buy a new car today!

Jim, hope your feeling better this morning, and the cleanup after the storm is progressing well.

Have a great day everyone!

Good morning.

It's 55 degrees here right now. We're expecting a high 66 and a bit of rain this afternoon..

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 2/20/2008

Wind Chill: 58°F
Humidity: 67%
Dew Point: 48°F

So Far Today
High: 59°F
Low: 49°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 8mph SE

Through 11 AM...isolated showers will continue to develop and move northeast across the region. Rainfall amounts will average just a few hundredths of an inch.

Rest Of Today High: 68 Cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers. Highs in the upper 60s. Southeast winds around 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 52 Mostly cloudy. Chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms in the evening...then rain likely and scattered thunderstorms after midnight. Lows in the lower 50s. Southeast winds around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Good afternoon everyone, gee! wish I could afford a new car :eek: had to settle for a used 2005 last Dec ;) :D
Another nice day here a bit below freezing but the sun is shining, guess we'll enjoy it as long as it lasts. In March the power rates drop for me then I can get some time in the train room which I don't heat from Dec to the end of Feb. Could go down on the weekends but so far I haven't.
Just a cuppa
pubimage.gif
and I'll be on my way.
So y'all have a great day
Cheers Willis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back