Coffee shop one-three

Status
Not open for further replies.
No problem Chris - it's all good. :)

On a lighter note - it snowed!! LOTS! We had about 6" this morning - not a huge amount, but enough to cause havoc. It was the heavy dense stuff, so it weighs down the tree branches and they took out power lines up here. It was a crazy night!

Mark

Tank Driving country
burnleytowardsbacup.jpg

Good Afternoon All,
It's a very comfortable 78* here in Coarsegold, CA. for a change.

I did some more work on getting the curve adjusted leading to the Anglin Oil Secondary siding along with adjusting the switch clearances where tight, I have one other spot to adjust, I also had to adjust rail gauge on the code 55 siding as it requires closer spacing of the spiking to ensure it stay in gauge. I can see where it might be well for me to make up some templates for building switches with as many as I'm going to use. I place my first High Switch Stand by Caboose Hobies [an old one] got everything adjusted and it works just fine with the targets showing apropriately for the alignment. Now to get the ramp made and the rail layed for the Serpha Copper & Iron works again in Code 55.

Say Mark, Good to see you on the forum again, it been awhile, how's your layout comming along?

Hope everyone has a good day.

Evening, everyone.

Whew, it was along day yesterday. Left for the game about noon and got home at 2:00 am this morning. Rex, thanks for that tip about the University Mall shuttle service. Trying to get to a parking lot would have been a nightmare. It was about 40 at game time with a stiff wind and it rained for about 10 minutes. I thought I was back in Cleveland watching the Browns. :) We had seats in the first row on the 45 yard line. I can only imagine what it was like for the people up in the nosebleed section. It was a very poorly played first half but the Tide came back in the second half. Since Texas Tech had a bye week, we retain our number one ranking. I just hope they start playing 60 minutes games before we get to Florida. Tuscaloosa did a great job handling the 90,000 people that showed up, getting people in and out of the stadium area in a lot less time than I thought it would take. I was amazed at the number of vendors. There must have been 200 hundred of them lining the steets leading up to the stadium. If you couldn't find an Alabama souvenier you wanted there, they probably aren't available anywhere. :)

David, how did that high level switch stand work out for you? I'm just starting to put some together and puzzling where all those little parts go.

Dan, thanks for the reminder, I caught the Extreme Trains episode tonigh. As others have mentioned, there were a fair number of inaccuracies but I thought it did a good job of capturing the grand sweep of modern railroading.

Mark, my relatives in Cleveland have been geting that lake effect snow too. There's about a foot on the ground and trees and power lines down all over. Sounds like a real mess.

Steve, looks like a great place to get a tank hopelessly stuck. :) Beautiful nature pictures too. Those are some weird looking fungi.

Chris, it's hard not get caught up in the current situation but don't worry, we all know you have a good heart.

Nothing but cold nights and sunny days for next week for us. I'm afraid my banana tree is done for this year. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
All you guys talking about snow. I'm jealous! I just love to watch the snow fall, but I don't care if it accumulates. :D

Think I've caught something from the wife, probably that virus she had the past couple of days:(. Started taking some Theraflu, and it seems to be easing the symptoms quite well.:) Hopefully, I've nipped it in the bud.

Got a call from an old family friend down in Mobile yesterday. It seems that her husband was in the hospital for a cervical laminectomy. He had the surgery and was doing good, in fact he was being discharged. As he stood up to get in the wheelchair to go home, he got dizzy and then collapsed. He had thrown a blood clot and it went to his lungs. They coded him but were unable to revive him. Only 46 years old. :( The funeral is tomorrow but I won't be able to attend. He spent 20 years in the Air Force as a Firefighter, and on discharge, was hired as an assistant chief for the city. I had known him since he was in High School in Mobile. Sad loss.

Still just putzing around the layout. Started a new Westerfield car today. Its an ACL modernized ventilated box car. Gonna be an interesting build!

Later

Weather(Tampa)

8 AM 44 °F Fair A cold start.
2 PM 65 °F Sunny Seasonably cool
10 PM 50 °F Clear Clear and quite chilly.
Temps. are 5-10* cooler North of Tampa

Local news

Police identify two suspects in purse snatching death
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...n=6&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

Personal Note,

Jim, Where in Florida You plan to be When? The weather is nice all week but at night too cool for warm blooded southerners like me!:D Careful in parking lot's! it's that time of the year For Bump and grabs are going up!

Steve (Comrade;)from across the pond, EDIT........ECT!) WOW, on the pic! I'm having to fix my nephew's Traxxas Rustler:eek: Dang I hope the dredded RC bug doesn't bite! He needs a New ESC and Servo.......You know I got a 19T spec motor, and sum up grade things lying around:rolleyes: hmmmm..........I Must resist.....Bad enough I have to goto tower hobbies and order the parts......Man it's like sending a recovering drunk into a bar to use the bathroom!:D I need my paper bag!:eek:

Mark Whats..........snow?:confused:

:)I got Beachs! Lot and lot's of bikini laden beaches!:D

Chris, bet it was cold up there this morning, cause it is 33* here in Arcadia. When was the last time it snowed in Fla.? It was in 1977. I was at the Fly-In in Lakeland & the snow was banked up against the vendor tents until about 10am. I had to come back to Arcadia to get some more airplane stuff to sell that sunday because I ran out. The nite before the temp had dropped down to 14* & the only thing I had to sleep in was my parts trailer. The buddy that was helping me out slept real good on the ground by the fire. I had a hell of a time trying to sleep. Caught my blanket on fire getting to close to the fire. Finally someone in a motor home across from us felt sorry for me & loaned me a sleeping bag. I crawled into the cab of my pickup truck & finally went to sleep. Slept for about 4 hrs., got up, ate breakfast in the tent & headed for Arc. to get more parts. It snowed all the way to Arcadia & when I got here there was about an inch of snow on all our flat bed trailers. It finally melted about 10am.

Larry

Good morning.

It's 41 and clear. The high will be around 70 and it will be clear.

I found something amongst an assortment of old rolling stock yesterday that I didn't expect to find. An old AHM helium car with markings for the Atomic Energy Commission. I've heard that these are somewhat rare though I don't believe there's anybody clamoring for them. The old talgo trucks were pretty much toast so I replaced them with Mehano talgo trucks which have had Kadee couplers fitted. I also brought it up to NMRA weight standards and it now tracks very well. I also sent my switcher team on it's first run yesterday pulling a mixed bag of coal hoppers, tank cars and general freight. They did very well. Not a bit of slippage with 12 NMRA weighted cars. Now I just have to set their acceleration and deceleration values.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 11/17/2008

Wind Chill: 38°F
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 36°F

So Far Today
High: 41°F
Low: 38°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 0mph NNE

Today High: 68 Sunny. Highs in the upper 60s. Light and variable winds.

Tonight Low: 42 Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 40s. West winds around 5 mph in the evening becoming north after midnight.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n3/proudIndian/P1010320.jpg

Good morning fellas! Sorry I haven't been around here much (work has been stoooopid busy).

Chris: Snow...well, it sucks! But I do have one power tool you'll never have - a snowblower! :)

It wouldn't take much to convert me to an Alabamian if there's little to no snow there. I did pick the right weekend to put the snow tires on though. I will say one thing though - the first snowfalls are usually quite beautiful. The trees are covered, a fresh blanket on the house and lawn. Then...ya gotta shovel it.

Trussrod: The layout has been on hold for a couple weeks with a few other projects on the go. I hope to get back to things as winter sets in, but it's tough to spray paint shells in the cold (that's the current project, a F7 ABBA in Western Pacific colours). Gotta rig up a "spray booth" again.

Mark

Good morning folks

It was 34 F as I hit the pavement this morning. Our high will only be 47 F. It is a big change from Saturday when we were in the seventies.

Did mostly chores around the house. We raked the leaves and other yard care type things. For Cub Scouts we had Scouting for Food. No trains.

I have a few days of hell coming up at work as we try to get some projects advertised so they can be bid before the end of the year.

I hope everybody has a good day.

I went to INDY yesterday and Train Central to get a couple of turnouts for the play layout for my grandson Colton. There will be no electricity connected to it YET. I have given him a couple of dummy engines and some old botchman cars that he dearly loves. The first thing he goes for when he comes in is the trains. Hopefully in a few days I will have the track and turnouts attached to the styrofoam so he can push HIS trains more easily. Before now he played with them on the tile floor and they did not track all that great but he has fun with them. A blue eyed strawberry blond devil on wheels LOL LOL. I have a very hard time keeping him from going into the layout room and wanting to play with Gramps' trains. He cannot understand why he cannot take them into the living room and play with them like he does HIS trains. I need to get the Digitrax Super Empire Builder hooked up so WE can play trains together. Well off to the shop to get the foam attached to a piece of 1/4" plywood. Have a great afternoon everyone I plan to.

Carey sorry to hear about your friend sir, he was only four years older then me.

Chris Edit when did you change your name to edit ??? We had a very good morning,,,in the cold. It's the highest point around for miles and if your in the shade it's freezing. i almost tore my thumb off around 10 years ago in the same spot in mid January, it was around -14 and the land rover wheel hit a hidden rock, the steering wheel spun round at a zillion miles an hour and ate my thumb, the nail went right off along with a sliver of flesh, and at -14 it bloody hurt.

Good Morning to All from Coarsegold, CA.
It was 45*F earlier and looks like it will be a nice day.

Nothing new to report on the C & S West Short Line RR for yesterday.

I did repost my add for the model railroad supplies under, For Sale & Wanted to Buy, after it was mysteriously deleted and it had the highest number of views at 680 or something like that. So I try it again.

Jim, You said:
David, how did that high level switch stand work out for you? I'm just starting to put some together and puzzling where all those little parts go.

Caboose does give you a number of extra targets etc to use in assembling the switch stands. Hope you got the sprung stands, I think they make better contact while holding the points against the outside rail.

The base of the stand is pre assembled and you need to place the shaft through the hole
in in the sector gear and push that far enough down the shaft so it meshes with the gear on the end of the handle used to throw/move the switch points. The shaft should be bottomed out in the alignment hole it sits in on the stand. Once you get this positioned on the shaft it's probably a good idea to decide on the type of target you want to use and get that mounted on the shaft. Not having purchased any of these in quite awhile I'm not sure just what is being delivered with them now but the one I had included a top with a simulated lantern and below that you placed a square piece with an arrow type of flag as well as some ears to denote the alignment of the switch. If other targets are desired I'm not real sure just how to attach them ? Possible if Caboose has a web site it might show?
The next item to ad to the shaft under the upper portion of the stand is a keeper which is along side of the lantern top on the spru, there should be two keepers and the wider base, I believe, should be pushed up against the lower portion of the stand to hold the sector gear down to ensure it meshes with the sector gear on the throw arm.
Your Switch Stand is now ready to mount on the layout.

Say Mark,
Work can surely eat into the time abailable for RR as well as other responsibilities. The cold weather is going to present a problem to painting I would think too. Possibly a portable heater is in order for your work area. I received an Air Bursh and haven't tried to use it yet as I need to get a compressor for it and then maybe I'll get busy and use it.

SayRex,
You mentioned about a power spiker, I've seen those but heard they tend to break or damage some of the ties which very seldom happens hand spking. As far as asking a wife, I can't find one that will put-up with me! Actually I enjoy my freedom.

Ps: I invited an aquaintance to join the forum and I think he was a Hogger some years back so we may have a new member and he may get into model RR too.

Hello fellows and happy Monday to'ya! It is time for lunch and by my calculations, it is time for our friend across the great pond to buy. Steve-O, I will just have a hot roast beef sandwich with coffee and hot apple pie...just wait until you read my dinner meal. I luuuve prime rib. :eek:

Had a very good weekend with both modeling and ball games. Soon as I complete my honey-do's, I will get back on the layout and work out a few traffic flow problems.

Jim: Very glad things worked out for you guys and that you had a good time. Tuscaloosa has made a lot of improvements over the years in handling the game traffic. They really had no choice after enlarging the stadium so many times (looks like they are going to add another 10,000 seats). I remember getting stuck for over 1.5 hours by parking on campus and I mean stuck at few feet per five minutes. The stadium was only half the size then. Heck, we have worst problems with traffic when there isn't a game.;)

David: Naw man, I was referring to a nail gun (as in 16p nails) and thought Chris may be able to get away with word play and call it a mechanized nail driver (or inserter, or powered fastener inserter, or .......:D)

good morning, do we have all day breakfast? I'll have 2 eggs over easy, about a pound of bacon, home fries, and a pot of coffee.

WHO ordered the snow????

thenkyew very much.

I got home from a reunion of old friends last night, about 2am, in the dark, in a sort of mini-blizzard, and had to find my laneway, which is about a mile long. It runs the length of a couple of flat corn fields, the corn has been harvested, so I focused on some vague point in the darkness and just kept driving a straight line towards it. Next time I go anywhere, I'm leaving the arena lights on so I can find it.

thank god for 4-wheel drive.

I made it nicely, but it was a bit sticky. snow up to the undercarriage. ('05 toyota tundra. best truck EVER.)

today, I'm shoveling, blowing, and cursing. now I'm hungry.

no time for train shopping yet. SOON, I hope!

OK I'm Buying As your $$ is going down the pan faster than the ££ it'll be my shout today................................................................................................................

Had a taste of the "Credit Crunch" and i liked it, it was tasty, Our local ice cream shop has done a new flavour called Credit Crunch, it's like a Tutti Fruity but nicer !!!

And this is my local Ice Cream shop Fredericks
Mmmmmm

CJ, I hope the virus doesn't get any worse. That's terrible news about your friend. I really hate the idea of back surgeries just because of problems like this. You spend too much time in bed and then develop deep vein thrombosis, which they still can't seem to control effectively. I would need to be in excruciating pain before I even considered back surgery.

Chris, sounds like it's a little nippy down there too. I'm not planning on coming to Florida in the near future but a warm beach and those bikinis sounds like a nice break. :)

Larry, sounds like a fun night at that fly-in. We had a low of 36 last night so I guess it got even colder down your way.

Mark, the biggest snowstorm ever to hit this area was in 1993, when they had 5 inches and it paralyzed the state for about three days. It seems like we have a little snow about every 10-15 years. The snow we had last year was less than an inch and it only lasted until the afternoon. That was first snow since 1993. It's 72 here right now. An average January day is a high of about 60 and a low of about 40. Of course, it does get a little toasty in the summer. :eek:

Steve, you're supposed to let go of the wheel when it does things like that. I suppose the Land Rover didn't have power steering though, so when you hit something like that rock, the steering wheel turns into a blender pretty fast. :(

David, thanks for the information on the high level switch stands. I think I'm starting to get the idea now but assembling one of those things is certainly not intuitive.

Rex, you did a good job coaching again. :D I had never been to Tuscaloosa before the game and was impressed with all the nice old homes. I guess the PD is used to handling large crowds. I bought my scanner along and it looks like Tuscaloosa S.O. and the city FD has gone digital so you won't be able to here them on your scanner. There were also two NS channels that were digital. Everything else including all the DPS channels are still analog so you can still listen to them. At some point, almost everything will move to digital. I'm hoping the price on digital scanners will start coming down but the cheapest is still about $350.

We had a call to a construction site where two workers got into a fight with nail guns. Neither of them died but they did look like porcupines after we finally got things under control. I think that's about the silliest I ever felt, standing there with my weapon drawn yelling "Drop those nail guns" but those things can do some damage.

We had a call to a construction site where two workers got into a fight with nail guns. Neither of them died but they did look like porcupines after we finally got things under control. I think that's about the silliest I ever felt, standing there with my weapon drawn yelling "Drop those nail guns" but those things can do some damage.

That's why my wife won't let me have a nail Gun!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: It's all fun-n-games until some get's an eye poked out:eek::D:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back