Coffee Shop 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gravel hauling got rained out today. It rained all day and is still raining. I did however get some house cleaning done. Several large trashcans full as a matter of fact. Most of it is old junk that can't be used for anything and parts/castoffs from old projects.

Paul, that's scary - my house is directly under a flight path for jets on their way to BWI (~15mi away), so we could get clobbered too! :eek: I didn't read the news article, but I'm suspecting the abnormally high winds were to blame. My condolences to all involved...

Rex - we'll have to see if what I did actually works first...:D Some areas don't look very different from the way they used to, in spite of my grinding/buffing.

Chris, look closely at today's day & date - no wonder you had that kind of a day!

PAUL That was too close!:eek::eek: My prayers go to the families involved--:(

Spent the day cutting lumber out of the fallen maple tree--ended up with about 125 board feet of 1X10's and 1X6's and a bunch of other bits. :cool::D

Does anyone have a spare wheelbarrow so we can take Chris home?;)
We may need it---

Sad news Paul, keep your chin up!!

I've just got a new modem, man My broadband is quick now, try this test guys see what you get. http://www.telecom.co.nz/bbspeed/telecom500.htm you might have to push ctrl + f5 to refresh. I get approximately 1331 Kbps or 163.1 KB/sec. I'm still 4miles from the exchange so thats not too bad.

Ken.

CSX_road_slug;115208 [B said:
Chris[/B], look closely at today's day & date - no wonder you had that kind of a day!

Yes, the 13th.......it figures:rolleyes: The county i work for made us vote to day how to cut our pay checks:eek:

These were my Choices:
1) loose my Ins, coverage
2) go from 5-8hr days to 4-9hr days.
3) go from 5-8hr days to 5-7hr days.
4) take a buy out of either 3 years of ins. coverage or $5k
5) Gamble and let them randomly lay people off and keep all our current bennies!
6) take a 3% pay cut
And we might loose our retirements too:mad: on top of pay cuts.
and currently our annual raises were taken away too:mad:

either way I'm going to loose any where from $2000 to $3400 a year. don't sound bad but I only make $27,000 a year:rolleyes: those are my morgage and car payments OUCH!

I know to be thankful to have a job to itch about but come on a Micky D's worker makes more with better bennies than me if this crap goes through:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just heard that it might have been excessive icing on the plane which may have caused the crash !

Chris--you'd be ticking barely over 2,000 a month? How? Is this before or after tax?

Before taxes! I clear a tad over $2000 a month:eek: Hence why I do UT work;) It's only going to get worse:rolleyes: Thank God the government hasn't cut my wifes pay yet!

Only hope I have is when they take this survey to the public they have mercy on us workers!

Check your local counties, from what I heard most states are thinking of doing this?

"Flo bring me another bottle!"

Evening Gang!
Flo, howabout a rootbeer float and a soft pretzel dear! I was watching CNN today and saw the coverage on the plane crash. Like Ken, it makes me nervous sometimes as my residence is about 3 miles from the outer approach markers for BWI. Sometimes when they fly over I can almost count the windows in the sides of the plane. Some evenings its an endless precession of headlights coming at us from the horizon, one after another. It really makes you think when you hear of a tragedy like the one in New York today. Oddly enough, I'm also along the flight line from D.C. to Camp David. You never know who mights drop into the back 40 someday!
I did get one of the new module frames screwed together today. My 13 year old son come down for the weekend, and when I asked if he wanted to drill all the holes in the 20 aluminum brackets I needed he smiled and said "Power tools? Cool!" 80 holes later he wanted to know whats next! I may let him take the electric sander to them tomorrow to clean up the glue that oozed out of the joints and de-splinter them a little before paint. Gotta love Daddy's lil helper!:D Tomorrow we'll assemble #2 and modify the carrier to handle 6 ft modules instead of 4 footers.
Chris: Keep your chin up,roll with the punches, and ride the wave as long as you can. Money, as tight as it is for my profession, has had me sidelined since the day after Christmas. And the job market is no market at all. Dealerships are going wild replacing experienced personel with youngsters who will work for half of what the true professionals make. My boss got the same treatment a month after me. Between the 2 of us, we had 60 years of front line experience. So now for the 1st time in 28 years, I'm walking away from the auto industry and looking for a whole new occupation. Something that isn't as dependent on the economy. What yet? I havn't decided fully, but I have more than a few irons in the fire. Who knows, maybe I'll try Real Estate:eek::eek::eek:!!!

Evening, Everyone.

Took a while to find the new place but the decor looks good...as long as Chris doesn't run them off. :D

Rex, I don't envy you having to leash train those two. I'll bet you could get them to pull your trailer if you rigged up a harness.

BOC, you should see what I got. A guy hit out streetlight and to was loos in the ground and leaning over at a 30 degree angle. Alabama Power sent out one guy to fix it. He added some dirt from my back yard and some 1x4 stakes to hold it up! I try not to get too near it when the win's blowing.

Jeff, I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I wish I could DSL and dump Charter altogether. I got a MagicJack a few weeks ago and have been very impressed with it so far.

KenL, sounds like you're in the home stretch now. Those tracks will really looks nice when you apply the polish.

Dan, I would get that knee looked at if you're really in pain. A broken kneecap can be really tricky to fix.

Paul, posted about that crash in another thread. You just never know if it's your turn to get your ticket punched. :(

Phillip, seems like you guys got the worst of the winds. I'm glad it's calming down now. sounds like your people did a good job.

Chris, 25% of all state workers are being laid off here. No negotiating, just gone based on seniority. The Alabama Constitution doesn't allow the state to go into debt so they are making cuts because sales tax and property tax collections are way down. I hope you guys can work out a way for everyone to still have some money coming in but I wish I could say thing are going to get better soon without lying. :mad:

I got roped into helping pack some pallets for things going down to Guatemala for our church mission on Thursday so that shot my whole day. Had a fluorescent fixture in the garage literally blow up today. Herad a loud pop and all the lights in the kitchen went out. finally tracked it dwon to the circuit breaker that covers the kitchen undercounter lights and garrage lights. Tested everything one the circuit was live again and it was one of the fixtures in the garage. Pulled it down and there was power to the fixture but no power to the contacts. Tore it apart and the electronic ballast blew apart, as in stuff blown off the circuit board. Never seen than before but I'm glad the circuit breaker caught it or we probably would have had a fire. Down to Home Depot for a new fixture but I got one with an old fashioned starter this time. Between that, getting flowers for the wife, and helping number 1 daughter study for anatomy and physiology, I got nothing else done today. Had some nice gentle rain today, only .43 inches but we needed it. I'm hoping things go a little better tomorrow.

CJ: Finally got me an F/C caboose to build. Don't know why I always kept forgetting to order one.

Here's some inspiration,

SRRCab3.png

Its real hard to see, but there is "glass" in the windows.

Jeff, I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I wish I could DSL and dump Charter altogether. I got a MagicJack a few weeks ago and have been very impressed with it so far.
Yes, I like my MagicJack too. On the basic plan you can call and get calls from anyone in the US and Canada absolutely free. If you know someone in another part of the world (Japan, Brazil, etc) who is using a MagicJack you make calls to them or they to you absolutely free also. Then there's all the freebies that come with the plan, things other providers charge for. What I like best is that it only costs $19.95 a YEAR. Now that's service I can afford.

Good morning.

It's 64, foggy and very wet, not to mention cloudy. The high should be in the mid 60's and it will be cloudy with rain.

Not sure what I'll be doing today. The rain continues to fall negating any chance to get any gravel into the field line ditches. Only about half the line is covered so far. The Dish Network installer is supposed to be coming today sometime between noon and 5 pm. Don't you just love those floating schedules? That way they can be late without being late. And if that squirrel outside doesn't quit barking it's going to be late.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 2/14/2009

Wind Chill: 62°F
Humidity: 100%
Dew Point: 63°F

So Far Today
High: 65°F
Low: 63°F
Rain: 0.02"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 8mph NNW

Through 6:30 AM...an area of showers and thunderstorms will continue to affect areas south of a line from Beaumont to Lake Charles northeastward to Ville Platte and Simmesport Louisiana. The stronger storms will continue to affect Vermilion...Lafayette...st. Martin parishes southeastward across the remainder of lower acadiana. Expect frequent lightning...heavy rainfall up to one inch...and possibly small hail.

Today High: 65 Patchy fog in the morning. Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 60s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 50 Showers and thunderstorms likely in the evening...then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Cooler. Lows around 50. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/DSCN0609.jpg

Evening, Everyone.

Took a while to find the new place but the decor looks good...as long as Chris doesn't run them off. :D

Chris, 25% of all state workers are being laid off here. No negotiating, just gone based on seniority. The Alabama Constitution doesn't allow the state to go into debt so they are making cuts because sales tax and property tax collections are way down. I hope you guys can work out a way for everyone to still have some money coming in but I wish I could say thing are going to get better soon without lying. :mad:

I'm hoping that if they do anything it's just a cut the ins. coverage. I've got a secondary ins. throught my wifes work just in case of this kinda think happening! But if they do do layoff and keep senior employees I should be good at 12 years of service and spotless record:rolleyes: I don't see a light either at the end of this tunnel too! All we can do is hope for change:rolleyes::mad:

"If I loose my job, I may have to work at Flo's!":eek:

Evening Gang!
Flo, howabout a rootbeer float and a soft pretzel dear! I was watching CNN today and saw the coverage on the plane crash. Like Ken, it makes me nervous sometimes as my residence is about 3 miles from the outer approach markers for BWI. Sometimes when they fly over I can almost count the windows in the sides of the plane. Some evenings its an endless precession of headlights coming at us from the horizon, one after another. It really makes you think when you hear of a tragedy like the one in New York today. Oddly enough, I'm also along the flight line from D.C. to Camp David. You never know who mights drop into the back 40 someday!
I did get one of the new module frames screwed together today. My 13 year old son come down for the weekend, and when I asked if he wanted to drill all the holes in the 20 aluminum brackets I needed he smiled and said "Power tools? Cool!" 80 holes later he wanted to know whats next! I may let him take the electric sander to them tomorrow to clean up the glue that oozed out of the joints and de-splinter them a little before paint. Gotta love Daddy's lil helper!:D Tomorrow we'll assemble #2 and modify the carrier to handle 6 ft modules instead of 4 footers.
Chris: Keep your chin up,roll with the punches, and ride the wave as long as you can. Money, as tight as it is for my profession, has had me sidelined since the day after Christmas. And the job market is no market at all. Dealerships are going wild replacing experienced personel with youngsters who will work for half of what the true professionals make. My boss got the same treatment a month after me. Between the 2 of us, we had 60 years of front line experience. So now for the 1st time in 28 years, I'm walking away from the auto industry and looking for a whole new occupation. Something that isn't as dependent on the economy. What yet? I havn't decided fully, but I have more than a few irons in the fire. Who knows, maybe I'll try Real Estate:eek::eek::eek:!!!

My 11 yr old son is my helper too:) He's my mower man when we do lawn's. the kid has a gift when it comes to things with a steering wheel. I take him to work with me when the bosses are gone for the day and try him out on some of the bigger stuff:eek: He drives it like he was born on it! He can mow grass better than most adults i've seen.:D:D:D This year he get to know the weed eater and edger:D let dad mow some:D

It's a real pitty most kids arn't tought how to run power tools, or tought the basic's of a hands on trade:( Most high schools in my area took out their shop classes! only one magna High school in my county has shop still. but you have to apply for it like a job and pray to get in!

As for jobs not dependent on the economy.....hmmmmmm.....not much, unless you can get a $1,000,000,000 government research grant for doing on a study on why a rolling stone doesn't gather no moss! or something like that:confused: It's possible!!!!!!!!!

Good Morning. Weather here is highs between -2C to 0C today and tomorrow. We are expecting between 1-2" of snow today with a mix of sun/cloud for Sunday.

Chris Some school boards pulled this insanity up here but not all. Ours still have quite a few that have shop classes but there is that trend. I think it is partially caused by a reasoning that argues that since manufacturing and like jobs are going out of country why bother with skilled labour when it gets done elsewhere. Insanity rules the roost I guess:mad:. I'm glad my neice/nephew still have the options left!:eek::eek:

UP2CSX I had once a pole get nailed so hard that the dang thing literally was being held up by the wires!:eek: The local hydro guys came by and put a new one in--but until the new one was put in we had to deal with this pole being supported by two 2X4's spiked to what remained of the thing!:eek:

Today I'm taking Audrey out to see a movie and then find a good restaurant on King Street in town here...:D:D
When we get back I'm going into my room and try building up some tree armatures with braided wire---:):p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back