Coffe shop XXXIV - 9/10/12

Today I need to level and mate the two main bench modules just built. This will be easy once I cut a couple small blocks of 1" x 3". Where they meet in the middle.....just need to raise the inner legs on both tables about a half inch or less......then with screws already set part way into the block.....attach block to both legs in front middle and rear middle. Then she be permanently level.

After those are level then the left and right extension platforms can be added.

Mike

Hi Mike,
I may be misunderstanding what you were describing so I apologize if I am.

I'm not quite sure just where your placing the 1"x3" blocks but the logical spot would be across the joint between the two tables but for structural strength both in tying them together as well as ensuring they maintain the height of either table they should over lap each table by at least 6" with at least two screws in each side preferably 3 on each side is even better to ensure the alignment as well as structural strength.

Well, it's time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

P1010775.jpg

Hi Mike,
I may be misunderstanding what you were describing so I apologize if I am.

I'm not quite sure just where your placing the 1"x3" blocks but the logical spot would be across the joint between the two tables but for structural strength both in tying them together as well as ensuring they maintain the height of either table they should over lap each table by at least 6" with at least two screws in each side preferably 3 on each side is even better to ensure the alignment as well as structural strength.
No worries David. I didn't explain it very well. I'll post a photo after the procedure......but I'm going to put those blocks on the floor.....up against the bottom of both center legs......and screw them into the legs. They will be like a common foot.....holding both legs about a half inch above the carpet.....which will hold the decking even and level. Other screws will be added up higher to hold the frames of both tables solidly together. Then I might paint the deck green or gray.....in case it takes awhile before being covered with scenery, buildings, roads, trees, etc.. :)

Mike

Good morning. It's 39° with 85% humidity. It'll be partly cloudy with a high of 60°.
pcloudy-1.jpg

It was quite cool this morning when I woke up. I had left the heater on low last night so it would at least keep the chill off. It was 62° in here. Turned it up to high to warm the place up to 70°.

I don't have any plans for today other than cleaning up part of the layout. There are projects I want to get into but every time I start on one I get interrupted.

P1010716.jpg

Good Morning

We is seeing some sun!! But it is CCCOLD out there!! We are sitting at the mighty 24F right now going to a high of ...34F later on...

Today I will actually get to go to the trainroom and get some work done in there. First time in...oh....a couple of weeks? Between my doctors appointments/chemo things/meetings/who knows what all else..I had no time for even the simplest of things...even making Yogurt...:eek::eek:

Good Evening.

Today is a bit cooler than I would like but it was sunny out here!!

I'm having fun with my cat right now...he insists upon coming up here to schmoose and I am trying to put my other computer to rest...I've been on my DAW all afternoon putting some new music together...

I'm a gonna go check the rest of the forum out...have a good evening!!

Hi Guys,
Checking in late again when I had plans to come on earlier.

Say Jeffrey, If your still up, have you seen Karl on recently? I had a question about his Dockside as I had a bit of problem with mine last night.

Your gabbing about food, while the wife's homemade BBQ chicken smell is wafting through the house!!

No, thats not a lion you hear,,,thats my belly growling!!:D:D:D

Say Karl,
God almighty man, I could hear that growl way out here in Calif, I sure hope your get fee soon! :eek::p;)

I was wondering if you experienced anything similar wit your Dockside? I had mine sitting since the beginning of the Summer but it ran fairly well prior to that. Then I went to run it last night to show a friend and it seemed to be froze up for no apparent reason?

Now that I think about it though, I did place it on a short section of abandoned track with an Old Box car that serves as a HoBo camp and maybe the guys had been stealing grease and oil all summer long? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I had a hell-of-ajob to get the motor to turn over freely and I did oil it too. You probably have a different motor in your as mine is Rivarossi. I do have an extra Loco with the same drive set-up and motor I'm sure so maybe I'll try ann swap as the other one seems to rup quiter.

I just figured I'd ask but your International Hobby Dockside is probably made better.

I still have to get the drivers flanges turned down a bit but I think I figured out how to do it easily bu using the long tapered Dremel grinding tool that I can hold against the spinning drivers to grind off about 22 thousands to stop it from climbing over the spike heads even though they are quite low in most cases. Any way none of my other loco's hit them on the code 70 rail so no reason this loco should either.

Say Jeffrey, If your still up, have you seen Karl on recently? I had a question about his Dockside as I had a bit of problem with mine last night.
Last I saw of him was on the Model Railroader forum yesterday (Nov 13th).

His member profile shows he was on this site at 8:27 pm today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning to you all from us'uns in the great lakes region of Canader, eh....

whereupon it is currently 25F and actually coming back up to the mighty 45F later on, in the sunshine...

I'm up at this silly hour of the morning because my dear chemo treatments have insomnia a one of it's side effects as this....as well, I made home made chipotle chicken stew lat night and it is getting a little warm in here:eek:

So, off I go checking out what is up...have a good day:)

Good morning. It's 33° with 100% humidity. Makes it feel even cooler. It'll be mostly sunny today with a high of 62°.
cond026.gif

Not feeling good today. My attention keeps drifting about every ten seconds, I have some balance issues, sinuses are giving me some grief and I just plain hurt. But what else is new. I want to work on the layout today. I know just when I get to that critical point on something that I can't stop my father will call and say I have to do something for him. Well the way I feel right now I'm not going anywhere. I'm also expecting a call from up north around 10 am. I think somebody is interested in something I have.

P1010713.jpg

The sunshine is so intense here today it reminds me of western colorado. It was 52* little while ago and the high only supposed to be 45*. Next four days supposed to be nice. My sleep schedule is really messed up lately.....insomnia.....can't fall asleep till 5am.......get up about 1pm. So I will sign up for physical therapy at the wellness center......and go for morning sessions. That should get me back to normal I hope.

Been sanding the plywood decks on the layout benches with 320 grit paper......then wipe with tack cloth. The one that is finished feels smooth as glass and ready for primer. Started out I wanted a slab to run trains on.....now just enjoying the process. Must have too much time on my hands.....which.....I've had worse problems than this. :)

Say Karl,
God almighty man, I could hear that growl way out here in Calif, I sure hope your get fee soon! :eek::p;)

I was wondering if you experienced anything similar wit your Dockside? I had mine sitting since the beginning of the Summer but it ran fairly well prior to that. Then I went to run it last night to show a friend and it seemed to be froze up for no apparent reason?

Now that I think about it though, I did place it on a short section of abandoned track with an Old Box car that serves as a HoBo camp and maybe the guys had been stealing grease and oil all summer long? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I had a hell-of-ajob to get the motor to turn over freely and I did oil it too. You probably have a different motor in your as mine is Rivarossi. I do have an extra Loco with the same drive set-up and motor I'm sure so maybe I'll try ann swap as the other one seems to rup quiter.

I just figured I'd ask but your International Hobby Dockside is probably made better.

I still have to get the drivers flanges turned down a bit but I think I figured out how to do it easily bu using the long tapered Dremel grinding tool that I can hold against the spinning drivers to grind off about 22 thousands to stop it from climbing over the spike heads even though they are quite low in most cases. Any way none of my other loco's hit them on the code 70 rail so no reason this loco should either.

David
Sorry to hear your docksider got an attitude on ya!;) Mine is a horse of a different color though. Its a Sakura, cast metal boiler and frame, with a Machima can motor inside.
Closest thing I have to that is a Rivirossi 0-6-0 that I added a lead and trailing truck to, then turned down the wheels by holding the chassis against some metal files. The motor was directly jumpered to a 12 volt power pack to turn the wheels against the file. I'd be careful with a Dremel, they do make a lot of heat, and the wheel centers are plastic! It too though, has a can motor.. Ive never had much luck with Rivi motors;) Here's the little 2-6-2 herself, no more pizza cutters here!! :D

Back