Code 83 curved turnouts

joeys1

Not sure this is the exact place to put this question, but...

I am looking thru plans yet again, and have seen the attached thumbnail from a book of plans by John Armstrong. For many and various reasons, it appeals to me greatly, and I thought I'd investigate further. I'm stuck, however, on the fact that I can't find curved turnouts with outside/inside radii of 22/18", which I need 2 for the plan. I'd like to do it in Code 83.

I do Peco do something around about that size in Code 100, and Walthers do a Code 83 24/20" which might have to suffice, but just in case, can anybody point me in the direction of the size I am looking for?

Joseph.

How many turnouts do you need? I can see two offhand but the layout picture isn't too clear. I've done curved turnouts before and would never do one again that doesn't have a 20"/24" profile. An 18" inside curve is basically the equivalent of a #4 switch and it's going to cause you some real problems when used on a mainline. The very nature of curved turnouts makes them less reliable than normal diverging route turnouts and the smaller the radius, the more grief you'll have. I would really suggest that you look into either redoing the track plan to use normal turnouts or see if you can use Wye's instead. I just think you won't be happy with mainline curved turnouts that are less than #8 equivalent.

I just think you won't be happy with mainline curved turnouts that are less than #8 equivalent.

Thanks for the insight on that. I have never used them myself, so it's interesting to hear other peoples viewpoints.

Yes, there are 2 curved turnouts on the plan, and the Walthers 24/20 turnout is equivalent to a #6.5. Given the room I have, I think a curved turnout is the way to go, but I'll have a crack at redesigning it slightly and see if I can't use #4 straight turnouts instead.

On that note, if anybody is feeling creative, can anybody see a way of adding hidden staging on a straight in this plan? The hidden tracks are on the ends and in the centre, and I would like to do Hand-of-god switching on a straight (with rerailers).

It may be a big ask, as there is an awful lot going on there, but if anybody is feeling creative, fire away.

I'll get cracking with Xtrkcad shortly, and post a plan. By the way, would a #6.5 still be reliable(ish)?

Cheers,

Joseph.

Joseph,
The #6.5 equivalent curved switch would be better than a #4 straight switch as long as you take care about laying out all the track going to and from the turnout very carefully. A small kink is all it takes to derail cars as they head into or out of the turnout. If you do a good job and test it well before trying to lay down any scenery, it should be fine.

As far as a staging track, is it possible to take one of those upper spurs on the left or right and extend them through a view block to an elevated staging platform? There seems to be no easy way to do this on the lower level tracks but those two upper level spurs may work out depending on how much space you have.

Back