Code 100 Double slips?

otiscnj

Anyone have any experience with Peco double slip switches, from 3 standpoints: A)operationally, B)mounting the switch machines(non-tortise) C) will there be a problem caused by differing frog angles, if I use them with Atlas #6's?

Any other current manufacturers making them? I think Shinohara made them years ago, but I don't know if they are still in business?

Going to be used at the throat of a passenger terminal(at slow speed).

Thanks in advance,
Carl

I don't have any Peco double slips, but I plan to get at least 3 of them for my new staging yard. Very soon, like within a month or so.

I can however, speak for Peco switches and their switch machines. I have 24 code 83, all #6 switches on my layout, and I also use the Peco switch machines. They all work beautifully, and are very reliable.

I don't see a problem with using the Peco double slips with Atlas #6s.

Our club use the peco HO one in a variety of place, cars handle them fine, but my 4-8-4 tends to short on it, diesel handle it fine.

My personal preference is for the old Atlas double-slip switches...which, unfortunately are no longer manufactured. (I salvaged several from my previous layout.) I imagine you could find them on e-bay. The neat thing about those, as opposed to others currently on the market (Shinohara, Peko, etc.) is that the Atlas turnout points were all synchronized and slaved to a built-in switch machine. The four points operated in pairs such that routing was either as a crossing X or two back-to-back curved routes, )(. No matter which direction a train approached from, you could NOT derail by running against the points. You might not go on the route you wanted without throwing the switch machine, but you wouldn't derail. Current, more prototypically operating DS turnouts require two switch machines, one for each set of points. Only one route in each direction is set, depending on the combination of choices you make. The crossing approach/departure route will derail if a train goes through it. You can set them for `/,
or ,\' or ), or `( ....try typing this on you computer! Of course the other "drawback" to the Atlas is the switch machine is on top of the layout and can't be changed. There is also a possibility of catch the stairs or other lowhanging protruberances of long rolling stock, specifically the KATO suburban passenger cars run by the Northwestern. Power routing on the Atlas is handled automatically, and I've had zero problems with shorts, at least in DC.

Sadly, Atlas doesn't make them anymore, either in brass or nickel-silver! :(

I have been told the fast track handlaid one are excellent, since they are 100% compliant with nmra standard

I made my own out of 4 turnouts and a 30* (I think... it may have been a 15*) crossing. I wired 2 each turnouts together to operate off one control switch, so the corresponding turnouts throw together.

MVC-844F-1.jpg

Rotor

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotor, this is a double crossover, the objective of the double slip is to save space from that configuration in a crowded yard

Gotcha! Where I got the info for terminology wasn't understood QUITE right! :rolleyes:

Won't be the last time I get something wrong, I'm sure.

Rotor

Hi everyone, thanks for the replys. If anyone else care's to chime in, I'm always interested. Although I love the look of handmade track, I've never 'gone down that track,' and probably won't at this point.

For Trailrider-I'm not sure if Roco still makes a double slip, that operates, and has the 'trackside switch machines.' As I recall, at one time, not only Atlas, but also Model Power and AHM imported double slips, as well as curved switches. I still have 2 of the Model Power/Roco curved switches, from their late 80's/early 90's run. Per your comments, haven't looked on ebay for them.

FWIW, I'm looking to build an 8 track version of Reading Terminal in Philly. It used to have 3-4 just beyond the shed. My version might use 3.

Carl

Back