Coastal Overland

ctclibby

Hi All!
Figured it was time to start a blurb here. I have changed the pix to links instead of uploading when I update them. Found out that the links are NOT live ones. Have to do things a bit different. Note that this is preliminary stuff and not complete but should give you the general idea of what ima trying to accomplish.

Made the text bigger for the Upper and Lower level. Ya gotta click on the links when there is new stuff, or if you haven't seen these yet. Sorry.

Lower Level ... Update 3/13/22

Upper Level

Reality

Prairietown

SP&S Junction

GN Junction

West Bayview ... New 3/13/22

East Bayview ... New 3/13/22

Givens ... Added 3/14/22

Druthers ... Added 3/14/22

Genisis ... Added 3/14/22

Last edited:
Excuse me if this info is elsewhere, but what scale are you modeling and how big is your space?

I probably have no suggestions but would like to follow along

Dave LASM
Thought about that yesterday to late. HO Scale, approx 30x40 building. Also, removed one of the yard ladders as Reality does not need 4 classification tracks; probably not 3 either but will leave that alone for awhile.

Todd - Did I see a larger track plan in another thread? Or maybe over in the Coffee Shop? I am curious as to which track represents the main line.
Working on just that right now to glom it all together. There is a general plan in the Coffee Shop, but does not include the new stuff. The plan is so large you can't see the trees because of the forest. See it here I think.

Have you played with a diamond yard instead of the butt-end you have at left....but where your switching lead is at the right? As I see it, your 'lead' is about 80% longer than it needs to be, based solely on what you show in the image. I can't see outside of that. You have no runaround diagonals in the butt-end depiction at left.

Have you played with a diamond yard instead of the butt-end you have at left....but where your switching lead is at the right? As I see it, your 'lead' is about 80% longer than it needs to be, based solely on what you show in the image. I can't see outside of that. You have no runaround diagonals in the butt-end depiction at left.
Crandell: Not enough space for train length with a double ended yard, so single ended yard. There is an escape cross-over on the A/D track that goes back to TT/RH - that the runaround diagonal you are talking about? Also, the switch lead is also used to get to industry/warehousing to the right that is out of sight. In other words, there is more to do then post.

Ya, maybe. When we went out on the road 8ish years ago, I changed to buy mode as there was not much time we were home. Got mostly DCC/sound engines and a few rolling stock as I found deals. Had been stashing stuff anywho for a few years prior to that and have 300 to 400 cars and 50 to 75 building kits. No idea of engine count - have multiple big boxes of those. Also got code 83 rail as I found it on eBay; can barely lift the box now:). Wife has been bugging me about getting all the stuff actually on a layout; of which ima working on it. I do not know if she will ever run trains, although she likes the idea of creating scenery stuff and womanizing some of the kits with curtains, flower beds and the like.
Going back on the road in a little over a week into the fall then we be done. Out 4 or 5 week, home for 1, so again I probably go to buy mode. Have a few more shop items to help with all of this so watch out! Time will tell.

Ok, so I forgot that I had started this. Found a new way to post the track plan so here is my latest and greatest.
Note that we are busy doing outside and house stuff, so progress will be ...um... slow for now.

Lower.png

Upper.png

You should be able to make them bigger and scroll around too.

Later

Boy, last post here was May/23 - guess that ima behind a bit.

Got the helix broken out of the plan and am working on get the bench in progress for that. As stated in the Coffee Shop, gonna do that 1st, then continue with the upper level. Note that I have not updated the track plan here yet. Also keep in mind that all of those long straight sections will probably be long curves when possible.

Have a question: I was reading the RP for curve center lines on NMRA.org. I am HO with a BigBoy and 85ft passenger as the biggest/longest I will run. Why in the world did they decide to use the 1:1's 'Curvature Degrees' vs a specific scale radii? What were they thinking in RP-7-2 as I do NOT have a curve radius that is 39 11/16" or 31 27/32" for that matter. For ease of use, standard radii should have been 18", 20" ... up to maybe 40"; or at least a simple formula to calculate it. Made my brain hurt. Me thinks that the 2 7/16" or 2 9/16" track to track distance for those two listed above is a little out there.

Guess that ima gonna do some data gathering for the radii I plan to use in the helix. Planning on that this am on a couple pieces of blue board just to get an idea of what is needed. This is a 5 track helix starting ( so far ) at 29" radii @ less than 1.4% and needs to be spaced enough to let trains pass and do not want over kill.

Later

Boy, last post here was May/23 - guess that ima behind a bit.

Got the helix broken out of the plan and am working on get the bench in progress for that. As stated in the Coffee Shop, gonna do that 1st, then continue with the upper level. Note that I have not updated the track plan here yet. Also keep in mind that all of those long straight sections will probably be long curves when possible.

Have a question: I was reading the RP for curve center lines on NMRA.org. I am HO with a BigBoy and 85ft passenger as the biggest/longest I will run. Why in the world did they decide to use the 1:1's 'Curvature Degrees' vs a specific scale radii? What were they thinking in RP-7-2 as I do NOT have a curve radius that is 39 11/16" or 31 27/32" for that matter. For ease of use, standard radii should have been 18", 20" ... up to maybe 40"; or at least a simple formula to calculate it. Made my brain hurt. Me thinks that the 2 7/16" or 2 9/16" track to track distance for those two listed above is a little out there.

Guess that ima gonna do some data gathering for the radii I plan to use in the helix. Planning on that this am on a couple pieces of blue board just to get an idea of what is needed. This is a 5 track helix starting ( so far ) at 29" radii @ less than 1.4% and needs to be spaced enough to let trains pass and do not want over kill.

Later
Welp AFTER finding my passenger cars ... I have blatantly determined distance between the 29"r and 31"r needs an additional 3/8" to be able to pass the BigBoy. Cars hit the cab, NOT the front which surprised me. The 31"r and 33"r probably 3/16" more as there was room between the cab of the BB and car but not much.

Test setup is not even close to anything scientifically done, so take this with a grain of ballast. Pivot has about 0.010" play as does the hole I put the marker in to draw the curve part. I may have not held the pen straight up and down so that could cause more problems. Those red lines in the pix are 2" centers starting at 29"r.
IMGP0860.JPG

Next pix shows the passenger cars passing on the outside 31"r with no problems ( Do note that I have 70/72ft cars and not 85's ). Cars hit the BigBoy in the cab.
IMGP0852.JPG

IMGP0855.JPG

The 31"r to 33"r almost worked. Could not see anything move but it sure looked at they were touching the cab rear.
IMGP0857.JPG

IMGP0859.JPG

So, all in all I think I have enough to start with. I am going to allow room on the inside and outside of the Helix to move stuff around a bit. Will test again with the 3 inside tracks and go from there. Right now, gonna add 1/2" to the inside track, 1/4" to the next and probably will add 1/8" to the rest just to stay on the safe side.

My Main line minimum radii is 36" and suspect the 2" centers will work as wanted. Branch line is 30"r but no articulated loco's on that. Probably will still have to play a bit when the time comes.

Later

Hi Guys and Gals!

Was playing around with one of my 'industrial' spaces and wanted to see what you think. But first ... Kokanee has restrictions - smaller BB engines, 2-6-2 Steam; or smaller. Local and not so local switching turns are 10Ft in length including engine(s). I have spread stuff out to make room for roads and truck loading; in most but not all places. Reach in is 28" and the dashed brownish lines are back drop. Solid brownish lines are Transition bench edges. Note that I kept with the main line near the edge on this one, have others that it goes through the middle; just wanted to change stuff up.

Do you think that it is too busy?

Kokanee.jpg

Woops, I see that I forgot to name one of the 'flat' warehouses.

Constructive criticism wanted.

Later

Looks interesting, will keep you busy for sure but too much track for my taste. (more of a runner these days)
I'm actually redoing my HO layout right now, got tired of runarounds and switchbacks.

I think when you start building you will find there is too much going on, at least that has been my experience. I had to shave off a lot of stuff to make some room to park my trucks with enough space that they could back out (and drive by) from the structures. Especially if you have any tractor-trailer units.

maybe I missed it but how much area does each square represent?

Dave LASM

Back