CN SD70 detailing project, need your help

I started a while ago a 3-unit cn sd70/75's detailing project

I started using a details west DS-298 (details for SD70/75I cn), AU-300 (auxiliary detail set) among other parts,
From some reason the instructions are sometimes wrong, after looking at reference photos i found some errors, pipes/ parts may be correct for other railroads other than cn

1. can anyone show me a good reference source i can follow on this project, prototype or model?

2. there is this part - can anyone identify what this part is?

Last edited by a moderator:
hey there mastertrain, sounds like you have your a great project underway and for that I wish you luck. Custom modelers seems to be a dying breed it seems... :(

However, to answer your first question about referencing, the site I always use is: rrpicturearchives.net . Now there are other websites out there too, but the one here mentioned seems to be the best one for me. Lots of great pics and they will certainly help you out on your way.

As far as the piece you were looking at underneath that loco, I am not totally sure what that is; Canadian locos vary sometimes greatly from their American counterparts due to extreme temperatures and environmental conditions. Because the part in question looks to me like a small radiatior of some sorts, I would assume that it is some sort of moisture trap, aux. air dryer or something to keep water out of the reservoir. Wish I had a better explanation than that. I hope someone can expand more on this.

At any rate, make sure to post pics of your locos! I get my inspiration from other builders out there. Always nice to see what the other guys are working on...

-Rich

Back