CN passenger car

Wolf is talking about a raised platform that was used to load ice into the top of refrigerator freight cars in the days before mechanical refrigerator cars. Passenger cars with ice air conditioners were loaded differently. The ice usually came from a local ice company or was made by the railroad for icing refrigerator cars and deliverd to larger stations in specially built ice cars. The ice was crushed and shoveled into bucket carts pulled by a small towmotor type trailer along the platform. Two guys then shoveled the ice into the ice compartment of each car, along with some rock salt to lower the melting temparture so the air conditioning would produce colder air. It was very labor intensive, so brine type air conditioners and mechanical air conditioners replaced the ice units as soon as the technolgy was available.

Have you looked at this site? http://home.cogeco.ca/~bgrgroup/ They are a bit on the pricey side, but they are great CN kits. I have a few. What they are not is a standard Walthers or Branchline kit with CN paint.

Are you a CN modeler? And you never really said what era you are modeling. That will make a difference on how you paint it.

Steve

Hi !

I will check them :)

The major part of my stock are CN and in general i prefer freight "stock" but sometime when i see something that i find beautifull, i want it :)

I don't have any era, i just collect what CN already have with the interrest of the moment.

Thanks for the link i give to you some news !

Hi !

I check them... very nice product !

It can be good for me, i like some of them. It's little bite expensive all between 120-150$ each !

I'm always looking for older one with open end platform, if you know something it can be helpfull too.

Do you have buy some of this kit ?

Thanks !

Open platform cars are too old for me so I am not much help on that. Sorry.

Steve

HI !

Anyone know the color of the grab iron located of each side of the door ? I don't have any indication in the instruction...

MY model is a Branchline Pullman 8-1-2 sleeper

Thanks !

Your link doesn't work for me. At any rate, what exactly are you asking? Do you want pictures of each car or someone to actually send you a car? Why do you want a 50 foot passenger car? These were used in an era 80 years before your Branchline Pullman. An 85 foot wood Pullman like this is older but had vestibules and is more like a Pullman car that you're probably thinking of:

LG200809120.jpg

To my knowledge, Pullman never built a 50 foot car like the Overland series. The shortest Pullman cars were 58 feet and, by 1880, they were all between 70 and 85 feet long. The era of open platforms only lasted about 20 years in Pullman history before vestibules were introduced and they were almost universal by 1900.

The hand rails on CN Pullman cars were chromed steel so they could be easily cleaned of dirt and fingerprints by the porters. The correct color would be the brightest silver you can find. By the time the railroads bought out most of the former Pullman cars, things like chrome handrails were a luxury they couldn't afford, and most of them were repainted to match the color of the car body.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi !

On my computer the link are good, the name of the car it's overland 50' made by roundhouse, you can see it if you going to the web site of roundhouse directly.

I see that Roundhouse make a pack of 4 car.... i want to know if it can match with a picture that i see of " Sydney & Louisburg Railway" it look like close... i don't know the lenght but it look like about 50-60', it's sure that it's not the coach of roundhouse but maybe in the other car in the set i can find something THe constructor of the real car is " Rhodes & Curry".

It's not this one on the picture, like a tell before i don't have any era, i just collect what i find beautifull.

For the handrail.. i enderstand that when Pullman delivery the car all are chrome and later each company paint them when the chrome look more bad.

THanks again !

Well, I'm still confused. The Sydney & Louisburg Railway wasn't built until 1895. The passenger cars they used were built in the 1880's. If you're asking about the one at the Louisburg Museum, that a 60 foot coach built in 1881 by Rhodes & Curry. It was never owned by nor had any affiliation with Pullman.

I think this is the bottom line.

1. You are confusing the word "Pullman" to mean all passenger cars. The vast majority of passenger cars operated by the railroads were not Pullmans.

2. The CN may very well have run 50 foot open platform cars at one time. They weren't Pullmans but they were passenger cars.

3. The 50' Roundhouse open platform cars are close enough if you just want cars that look beautiful. Buy a set lettered for Canadian National and be happy.

4. Some steamlined cars, both Pullman and non-Pullmans, were delivered in stainless steel with fluted sides. The majority were flat sided and painted in the railroad's color scheme. The railroads didn't generally repaint stainless steel cars because they didn't rust. The chrome I wrote about on the CN cars was specifically on the passenger handrails only.

I think our language barrier is making it difficult for both of us to follow what the other is saying. I wish I could speak French but I'm lucky to get by with passable Spanish. :) Do you have a friend who reads English well but also speaks French? If so, print out this thread and ask him or her to translate it into French for you. I think you might have a better idea of what I have been writing.

Hi !

I'm not so confused, I don't need only pullman...

I already tell that i don't have any era, i want to have passenger car the more old as possible. That's all

I just discovery some HO passenger car and try to see if it's accurate with Canadian raod name, i prefer CN but open to other canadian road name.

Does the roundhouse 50' already roll for CN ? You tell "if you just want cars that look beautiful".

Like a tell in the past i need accurate car !

Doyou think that this kind of car is accurate ? what is the difference ?

THanks !

I'm the one that's confused, apparently. I can't tell you if the Roundhouse 50 foot cars were ever used on the CP, CN, or any other railroad. They are not made from a specific prototype but are representative of the type of open platform cars that ran on all North American railroads in the 19th century. I'm telling you that, if you like that kind of car, go ahead and buy it. No one is ever coming to your house to tell you it's not accurate. If you're interested in absolute accuracy, I suggest you join the CP Historical Society Yahoo group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cpsig/ and ask there. I don't model Canadian roads and I don't model cars from the time period of open platform cars. The people at the Yahoo group would probably be more help, since I think I've done all I can do.

Hi !

Like i tell often i'M not the better in english and it's possible that i don't have always the good word ! ( " don't have always " .. i'm not sure for this one lol )

To be accurate for me it's important, the definition of "modeler" it's to try to make smaller the reality.

I don't roll a locomotive on a layout if the light do not work... lol in reality the light work... at 1/87 it must work too !

I already talk about "closer" model because i'm able to make small modification to be accurate but i don't want to kitbash. I kitbash for locomotive but for passenger car i'M not interrested at the moment.

Tonight i have see some nice car at my local club, it's made by rivarossi but i must find how accurate is it. It's this kind of car : http://media.photobucket.com/image/...r cars/Foe-toesfromTrainBrainsecondcd09-3.jpg

I continu my search i had order a book from morning sun , i hope to receive them soon !

By the time my first car are ready, i will probably take some picture this week end and post it.

If anyone have other information, always open :)

Thanks !

That is clearly not a standard Rivarossi passenger car. It's a shortened and heavily kitbashed version of the standard 85 foot combine to make what looks like a 60 foot combine. The guy who built it added lots of details, from grab irons and opening baggage compartment doors to marker lights. Since there's no real Grand Valley Railroad, I'm assuming this one was lettered for the Grand Valley Model Railroad Club in Grand Junction, Colorado. The one in the picture can't be bought as a standard model, isn't accurate for any particular railroad, and certainly doesn't represent anything from Canada. However, it's a very well done and nice looking car.

Since you were at a club, why didn't you ask whoever owned the passenger car you were looking at how accurate it was for whatever line it was lettered for? That would certainly been more productive than posting a link to a picture of a car who's only similarity to the one you saw at the club is that they were both made by Rivarossi.

Back