Clinic, removing Athearn trucks

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
Something I was thinking about adding to Model Railroad tips, but I'll add it here first.

In order to remove the trucks, you'll have to remove the body. That'll be explained in later Athearn clinics. Once the body is removed you can begin.
View attachment 7364

1. I prefer to use a thick, stiff Testors Hobby knife, to pry the cover off. I'd only recommend this if you have a THICK blade, that is not prone to breaking, otherwise use a flat head screwdriver!

Slide the screwdriver/blade under the worm gear cover (Worm gear removed from this photo set for clarity).
View attachment 7365

2. Gently twist the screwdriver/blade, it should pry the cover outwards from its mounting pins. I keep my finger on the top of the cover to prevent it from flying away.
View attachment 7366

3. Lift the cover off. Now your truck is free. On a fully powered model, you'll have to remove the worm gear at this time, or when you let the truck drop out it will scramble and run away from you. The truck should simply drop out now.
View attachment 7367

Hope you enjoyed this simple how-to clinic!

LOL thats a new one... Most people I've talked to say, "Huh, I've never thought of using something to pry the clip".

I am wondering how the pictures were taken if you had both hands occupied on the motor :p , I think a tripod would have been too bulky to stand in between you and the desk :)

Good Job BTW, tnx for the Clinic, noobs like me sure appriciate such threads.

Actually, its only about 6" off the floor, I used my independent leg tripod, it is kid of bulky, but. The timed capture works nice.

Though maybe ya mounted on your fore head or something...lol...yeah like a head cam...lol....sweeeet!

Yeah nice lookin dish pan hands there!

Lol, I guess the camera does not capture the real hand. It is unusual having a camera the size of mine between you and your work.

Back