Clinic, getting a short eBay item URL

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
So, I've thought about it for some time, so here goes. this is a simple way to getting an eBay "short" url for an item you're selling.

Step one, open the item, and highlight, then copy the item number as shown.
View attachment 6632

Now paste that item number to the search box.
View attachment 6633

Click search and you'll end up with a long link, with the item number in it, high from the http to the item number, as shown.
View attachment 6634

Copy that section and there you have it, a short url. Just past it where you want the link (I.E. in a forum).
View attachment 6635

Nice Trick

You could also do this... use [ url=ebay url]Ebay Listing[/url]

[ url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140121864812&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=004]eBay Listing[/url]

And it will look like this:

eBay Listing

Last edited by a moderator:
Great tips guys....always wondered how to shorten a URL and give it a title Chip Thanks!....Thats cool way too Josh!

Josh, I guess that I am just not a member of the "in-crowd", but I don't have the slightest idea on how to bid or buy (pay) on ebay. That would be an excellent clinic for you or someone to tackle. I would assume that there are many how-to's out there, but something simple and to the point would be nice.;) :)

eBay has changed over the years..I have been a member since Aug 7th 1998 . I have a feedback of 83 100% positive...which should be allot higher but some people didn't leave feed back at first. Feedback is the number behind your username which tells of past history with buys and sells, good or bad. The new eBay kkeps track of everything on "My eBay" items your watching, bidding, selling. and reminds you to pay,recieve,ship,leave and recieve feedback..all on one page....There is allot to learn about the whole process but it's very easy. The most to learn is to know when it's a good deal and when to limit yourself so the UPS man isn't stopping everyday, making our better half mad...LOL... 1st thing you do is register...then you can bid on items that accepts money orders or checks/credit cards....Paypal is another thing thats good to have, it pays with your card/.bank account and allows payments to be deposited or saved for future payments or items bought..all you do is set up an account with paypal.com , It works for allot of sites to purchase items... it's a great internet tool alone..,its a good idea if you plan on doing it allot is to have a separate bank account to use on paypal for even more protection....its easy to list/post pics/sell and buy..If you want I'd be glad to teach you one on one thru emails and messages. But it's easy if you just start slow and try it and learn little by little...experiment it pretty much teaches you. I was in it when someone highjacked the site and they locked it down when i had items up for sale...but its allot safer now. One warning tho...its pretty addicting...LOL...,and its a great tool to see what some items are bringing and worth to buyers..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Bob. I think I'll venture over there and see if I can come up with some intelligent questions about it. It must be addicting...enough of you guys have the habit.:D :D

One word of caution if you decide to get a paypal account. There are lots of scammers out there who will send fake emails to you saying that your account has problems,been fooled with or whatever else they can think of. If you get an email like this go to the ebay site and check your messages. If it isn't in there you can be pretty sure the email is fake. Forward it to ebay and they will try to track down the scammer. If the message is in your email and on ebay site in your messages is sould be legit. Ebay will not ask you for pin numbers or personal info. They don't need to, They already have your info on file.The more you use paypal the more fake emails you seem to get. I have quit using it for this reason. Ron

Thank you Bob. I think I'll venture over there and see if I can come up with some intelligent questions about it. It must be addicting...enough of you guys have the habit.:D :D
Be careful there Rex. When the postman calls you on your cell at work to tell you that you have 2 packages and the office wouldn't take them, its time to give up (little does he know there's 10+ more out there).

It's as addicting as candy (or drugs, gambling, alcohol... but I prefer candy).

I'll make up some for you tomorrow, while I wait on paint & glue to dry.

Back