Cleaning car weights

AmtrakCr74108

I am using weights that I bought at my LHS to work on my HO freight cars. I would like to find a way to get rid of the adhesive tape and foam on the weights so I just have the weights. Tried scraping off -no good. I was wondering if some kind of solution could be used to either spray on the weights or soak the weights to remove the tape and foam.

If you have it around, try spraying the sticky parts with WD-40, let soak for 20-40 minutes or so. Another home cure is nailpolish remover that contains acetone.

If you don't have those, or the other suggestions above, and have to go to the hardware store, look for spray "adhesive remover."

Use an x-acto blade to remove what tape you can. Then pour a small amount of Goo Gone on the remaining adhesive. Rub it around and the adhesive will dissolve. If it doesn't all come off just add a little more and rub some more. You may want to use a paper towel to remove any Goo Gone residue. Glenn

Use an x-acto blade to remove what tape you can. Then pour a small amount of Goo Gone on the remaining adhesive. Rub it around and the adhesive will dissolve. If it doesn't all come off just add a little more and rub some more. You may want to use a paper towel to remove any Goo Gone residue. Glenn
Yes, I am in the Goo Gone camp also. Acetone around plastic models always concerns me. I've seen a stray drop of that eat through the side of a box car in a few hours. Oops. And through foam scenery in seconds. double oops.

I couldn't agree more. However, I am more concerned what it might do to me. I'm old, so I don't want to quicken my demise by using that stuff. Glenn

I am sorry that I might not of made my post clear enough. I want to take off the tape and adhesive off the weights before I even use them to apply on the cars. I am thinking to maybe put them in a closed container of Acetone to remove the items and just have the weights. Also I was thinking of using Lacquer thinner. I do not know if the two solvents will react with the weights. The solvents would not be in the same container.

Back