Cincinnati 'Train Journey' at the American Railroad Museum

I was just there a week or so back. It is more than worth the price of admission. Make sure you allow LOTS of time there if you want to see everything. The actual layout doesn't take long to walk thru, but if you want to pay attention to all the detail, it takes a lot longer.

Good to hear! Hopefully by the end of the Summer I'll be able to write up a little report for anyone interested. It looks like a fantastic place. I can't believe it's G scale - so much potential for detail. I'm really excited :)

My visit to this 'museum' was great! I highly recommend it to all train fanatics. It's G scale indoors and the detailing is REALLY good. They're currently expanding, but no performance is interrupted. They have significant layout from several eras and themes. Check out the website for more info on that.

G scale, ladies and gentlemen. Indoors. It's AMAZING.

You get views from a lot of really good angles. Typical aisleways, long views of trains coming at you, areal views from handicap accessible raised platforms, and even ride-along cameras.

There is tons of space for visitors to stand and admire the layout, and hands-on areas for young children as well.

It's certainly an impressive display, and enough money behind it that I don't think it has to keep going on the gate alone. Worth seeing especially if you have kids, although don't be too surprised if the little ones would rather go play with the pusharound Thomas than observe the monster layout. I got a tour of EJ before it was open to the public in early 2009 so I saw a lot of it under construction. It's out in the north suburb of West Chester right off I-75, in fact you can see it easily... exit 22, Tylersville Rd. on the southeast corner. It's a former furniture store so the building is humongous.

There is also a hobby shop and food available. The hobby shop when I was last there in 2010 was a bit disappointing if you aren't into large scale, Lionel, or Bachmann stuff. But it may be the best banner of all to attract people to the hobby. It's sort of like Christmas all year.

Andy

The hobby store is definitely focused on large scale, which makes sense considering the layout is G. It's always impressive to me to handle cars, track, etc, for the larger scales after spending so much time with HO scale.

Back