Chopping noses on highhood locos

kjd

Go make something!
I was going to post this in the roster thread but was sort of off topic so a new thread was in order.
Here are a couple locos with chopped noses. 4555 is an Athearn GP7 which in addition to the lowered nose had its dynamic brake blister removed. The cab front is a piece of .030 styrene with two windows cut out. The numberboards were made from that section of the high hood that was removed. Putty filled the gap behind it and it was blended to the contour of the cab. On a P2K or similiar loco it might be possible to just substitute a different cab from a loco with a low nose.
651 was an SD9 and was rebuilt and reclassified as a SD19-1 by MRL. It has a new cab, fans and fuel tank. The prototype also got upgraded electronics. Chopping the nose was the same but the cab from an Athearn SD40-2 was modified and used instead of the SD9 cab.

MRLchops.jpg

Incredible work! What did you use to cut on the shell? Hobby knife, dremel, or some type of hand saw?

I don't remember for sure but probably an Atlas razor saw. Use a block to sand the cut so it is flat when you put the new top of the nose on.

My GP9u, the top section was lowered to match the bottom section (the middle was cut out). The toughest part was cutting & filing the P2K chassis.

Back