Choosing a DCC System

Yep, been researching more for sure…. Honestly as my current layout is not big by any standards think I will purchase the corded version. If expansion happens in the future I can always rethink. Guessing by then technology will take another leap and bound and something new will be there to spend my money on lol

Ya buy the corded version of the throttle then ya pay for another throttle when ya go RF then pay to have the corded version updated.

I like to save a buck when I can also but being tethered to the layout via throttle might not be the best place to save. My layout isn’t nearly as big as some on this forum but I have one main location and two switching locations that I use regularly which are about 20 ft apart and the thought of dragging wire across the room every time just wouldn’t work. I bought the RF version and am pretty happy with it.

Mine is basically a 7’ radius walk in with yard and switching section, if facing the yard I just turn around and switching section is right there on the peninsula. I will keep mulling it over, but don’t think the RF is a necessity as layout is now….

Just to further muddy the waters . . . . Digitrax UP5 panels are cheap, MSRP of $18, $15 at Hiawatha Hobbies. :

I already have two UP5s - - For my primary control station, I will plug the DT602 into the Digitrax Zephyr. I will put a UP at the south, free-standing end of my 4x8 to run from there when desired. I also plan to put one at the west end of the yard to run from there. Possible, also, to get some more throttles and have multiple control points.

Best I can tell, adding UP5s are an easy do. And an inexpensive add-on. Even if you go RF later, not much money invested.

Mine is basically a 7’ radius walk in with yard and switching section, if facing the yard I just turn around and switching section is right there on the peninsula. I will keep mulling it over, but don’t think the RF is a necessity as layout is now….
The corkscrew cord that Digitrax provides as a standard length can't stretch safely (the problem is the plug into the DB150 or replacement model) past about 6'. If you can hold it and reach with a free hand, that'll be okay, but you don't want to be stretching out that wound cord.

Oh yeah, the old stretch the cord to its max reaching over to throw a switch and watching in horror as the throttle slips from your hand catapulting rearward in notch eight towards the first hard stationary surface in its path trick.
Second time I fell for that this month! (Maxwell Smart)

Last edited:
When ya go cheap and just plan to keep your standard throttle plugged into the command station you run the risk of eventually reaching to far one day and pulling the command station off the shelf or whatever it's sitting on. Now, ya gotta repair the command station.
Go cheap, be disappointed.

Well, what may be to the dismay of others, I have decided on the new Zephyr unit coupled with the Bxp88 for now, has what I need to get started and learn, come back with the radio unit and controller at a later date..,

I have decided on the new Zephyr unit coupled with the Bxp88 for now, has what I need to get started and learn, come back with the radio unit and controller at a later date..,
I like the console throttle of the Zephyr. I have used my older MRC DC units as jumper throttles on it as well. I think it will do well for you.

Back