Choosing a DCC System

You might want to ask your vendor if the throttle has all the updates. It's kinda tricky but not rocket science to download and install the updates yourself. You'll need to interface your internet with the command station.
Can certainly call and garner some info before purchase as needed, thanks for the heads up

Are circuit breakers an absolute need? Was thinking insulated rail joiners to “block” sections of the rail to isolate shorts, but maybe from what I have been reading that isn’t enough to protect locos from possible damage due to problematic issues with electric flow. Would NCEs product CP6 circuit protecter be enough? It is the right amount of blocks I would like to have, and I am guessing that coming back and updating wiring at some point as needed won’t be a huge issue.

Are circuit breakers an absolute need? Was thinking insulated rail joiners to “block” sections of the rail to isolate shorts, but maybe from what I have been reading that isn’t enough to protect locos from possible damage due to problematic issues with electric flow. Would NCEs product CP6 circuit protecter be enough? It is the right amount of blocks I would like to have, and I am guessing that coming back and updating wiring at some point as needed won’t be a huge issue.
That is two different things. Well back up. Simple answer first. "Are circuit breakers and absolute necessity?" - No, Most (all?) DCC command stations have circuit protection built in. The DCC command station itself will shut down on a short.

It is one thing to have a circuit breaker to protect equipment from too much power. It is a different thing to have circuit breakers to isolate shorts to one section of the layout. Nothing more frustrating to be running a train out on the main line and have it come to a grinding halt every time another operator pics a turnout in the yard and shorts. The larger the layout the more it is a good idea to isolate sections so every short doesn't shut down every train. Now once again it depends on the size of the layout because on a large layout one would just have separate electrical sections with their own power provided by a DCC booster. Each of these would have its own circuit protection so additional circuit breakers are not needed. On smaller layouts one needs (well would want) a power management circuit (DCC circuit breakers) when there is only ONE DCC power unit providing all the power to multiple isolated sections of a layout. Hope that makes sense.

Awesome! You won't be disappointed..... Where are purchasing from? yankeedabbler.com or other? I am actually upgrading to EVOXD from my old DCS50 and DT402D.

I now use SBS4DCC.com for almost all my DCC purchases. I did buy my ESU Cab Control DCC system from YankeeDabbler at Trainfest. Not 100% happy with YD customer service even though they are 109% better the ESU’s customer Service. Bryan at SBS4dcc is a good guy and seems always to be available for help.
FA25849A-81A4-4133-80E0-7EAB6B1B2901.png

TomO

Last edited:
Researched, then did some more research, final decision is Digitrax EVOX Evolution, will be purchased mid February, don’t tell my wife…
Okay, you've made your choice (and it looks like a great one!). Based off the look of your layout (nice work on that, too!), and the fact that you want to run up to 10 locos at a time, I would recommend getting the larger power supply just so you never have to worry.

I started with DC. Went to Block wiring so I could run more than one loco. Then I decided to jump into DCC. I went with the MRC Prodigy Express set up. The more I used it, the more I both affirmed my choice and regretted it at the same time. The MRC system is really easy to understand in comparison to others, but is also limited in many ways. Like the others have said, buy cheap and be disappointed. As my layout grew, I out grew my command system and I had to reconsider. I ended up buying and installing a booster (the extra power also helped solve some issued I have with the cheaper, lower powered system) and am now working on converting everything to a whole new system - RailPro. This system also, like any other, has it's ups and downs, but NOTHING beats it for consisting loco!

You have made a great choice that will do everything you want. Take your time, read the manual, get used to confusing things like programming CV's (take a bit, but you'll get it), and enjoy with no regrets.

Got a simple question but can’t find the answer…. What length is the cord from throttle to command station on the EVOX Evolution? Looks like the set comes with an extra throttle hook up (UP5) so if the cord is at least 6ft I can manage the entire layout with the 2 options (command station + UP5), any shorter though and I am better off purchasing an extra UP5…

Got a simple question but can’t find the answer…. What length is the cord from throttle to command station on the EVOX Evolution? Looks like the set comes with an extra throttle hook up (UP5) so if the cord is at least 6ft I can manage the entire layout with the 2 options (command station + UP5), any shorter though and I am better off purchasing an extra UP5…
Surely someone sells longer cables?

lol Yes they do, but if I can save a damn nickel, I am gonna save that damn nickel, this stuff is expensive enough 😉 Was also thinking of a longer cord at my feet, not sure I want that…

The system pictured is a duplex radio link. The little box you can see between the throttle and the command station is the RF interface, a UR93. You only have to link that to the command station via the loconet. The throttle talks to that via RF. Duplex means the throttle receives and transmits data.
As for the loconet cable. That can be just a few feet or over 50 feet.

The system pictured is a duplex radio link. The little box you can see between the throttle and the command station is the RF interface, a UR93. You only have to link that to the command station via the loconet. The throttle talks to that via RF. Duplex means the throttle receives and transmits data.
Yeah, cables. Our club started with the tethered throttles. We were continually getting tangled up one with the others. We finally abandon the wires and went with wireless (CVP with Lenz at the time). I thought that won't effect me at home and used the wired for a while. The wire was still continually in the way or snagging on something so I went wireless also. The NEC PROcabR is now what I consider my "main" DCC unit, but I do still have the CVP with Lenz equipment that I use at the shows as there is less conflict with other exhibitors.

Yeah, remember I keep saying, Go cheap, be disappointed?
yeah, the plug in throttle system will certainly save ya about $100, right? but is it worth all the hassle of tangled wires and broken connectors from stressing them while reaching for something?
Then ya have the folks who think it might interfere with their Dish TV reception, microwave oven or dog's electronic fence.

RF much better than the IR I was working with for sure…

Takes me up to $500 + $70 for PM42, ssssouch…. Guess you could easily spend that buying extras for the corded set up though…

I have a DT602 - not RF, only plug in and IR. I hae not put in an IR receiver yet so it is only plug for me.

The cable is just a standard telephone style cord (remember handsets?), so real easy and inexpensive to buy a long one from Amazon or your fav discount electronics stores.

Back