Childhood Dream Layout

Railcar79

I have decided to build my childhood dream layout, got me a Lionel Alaska Railroad GP7 set. Now I am trying to decide Suspended Ceiling train style or shelf style. it will be going around a 14'x22' room with a 6 1/2' open entry way that will have to be bridged, since there is no header, it is open floor to ceiling. Also not sure about decorations, since it will have to be high enough to not block doorways and the like in the living room.

After I get that done I really need to figure out if I can replace the sound board on my loco, the Lionel GP7 in kit 6-11972 is absolutely atrocious.
Any suggestions on either front?

I am very worried about a derailment in the entryway, Only place it is not fully protected, and I can guarntee if it goes it will go there. Last I checked Loinel locos and cars dont do well in freefall

I am very worried about a derailment in the entryway, Only place it is not fully protected, and I can guarntee if it goes it will go there. Last I checked Loinel locos and cars dont do well in freefall

You can make the bridge for the entryway...a bridge, with high sides that will prevent rolling stock from "going over the side".

I am just a bit concerned, not entirely familiar with pre/post war lionels, I will eventually get my grandfathers trains, including a beautiful pre war 4-6-4 Hudson, and a few post war steamers. The will not see much use, but I would love to give them a go. I know my current set wont power them, I will have to dust off the 250 watt ZW transformer he gave me when I was 18.

I dont know who to have take a look at the ZW, I know it is old, I cant find any info on the 250 watt system other than the fact it was only available for 2 years or so then they went to 275. It was my grandfathers pride and joy, and I want to keep that alive with my 4 kids. My youngest is into trains, and he LOVES just watching them circle a simple track.

Back