Chessie geep ready for (more) service...

wongsing

Ok guys, I've been working on getting better at this, and so the time came to weather my Atlas Chessie GP40...I've taken some opinions into consideration and this is how it came out...
DSC00301.jpg

DSC00302.jpg

DSC00303.jpg

DSC00304.jpg

DSC00305.jpg

DSC00306.jpg

That last shot is my favorite...Believe it or not, the camera didn't really hide any flaws I didn't really want anyone to see this time LOL! Although my camera is good, I suck at taking pics, I know. Please, as with all the other things I've posted online, please be honest, and let me know how I can make it better. Oh, and two more things....Chessie System fans, yes, I know this model still has the wrong battery box cover :( ...I'll fix it. Also, I will soon be working on a small diorama to display these engines while I show them. I hate using the washing machine, but its the only place I have flourescent lights. Thanks guys for any input!

That looks awful!!;) you could have washed it before taking the pics:D

No seriously great job, I've yet to dirty my locos up (to scared!!)

Ken.

I agree, pleasantly used. Your rust could use a smidge more depth on the door panels (they look monochromatic.. :( ) Other than that, FANTASTIC! :)

I agree, pleasantly used. Your rust could use a smidge more depth on the door panels (they look monochromatic.. :( ) Other than that, FANTASTIC! :)

ooh..ooh...corrective criticism!!!:D What do you suggest!? I knew it needed something...I just couldn't figure it out though! As far as the rust goes, I didn't want to over do it. Is there a way to add depth without making the unit look like its completely rusting away, or does it already look like that? Thanks for the compliments guys, glad you like it....and thanks for the suggestion!

-Rich

Well, there's a bunch of good ways to create depth in your rust. Do you have Bragdon enterprises or Bar Mills weathering powders? If you don't BUY THEM.

What you do is you mix a brush full of dark brown craft acryllic paint, you dip the wet brush LIGHTLY into the weathering powders, and on a sheet of scrap paper, swirl it around a little, so you can see what color the mixed color and powder will create, then gently apply small amounts in the center of your dark rust pit. Bragdon Enterprises' "Dark" rust would be an excellent color for the old rust around these doors. The Large container of the weathering powder (1 oz) is around $8.00.

Hope this helps, and if you need more help, PM me. :)

Thanks man! I appreciate someone seeing the flaws in my works and pointing them out. The first loco I ever did was that SD9 (Chessie) I think this one looks way better! BTW: Do you have any pics of trains you've done...I learn better from pics of other peoples examples :eek:

-Rich

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Your work is gorgeous! Please, any more help you would like to give, please don't be stingy! I love that covered hopper! Looks fantastic! So...back to my engine here...where would you go from here? I'm not stupid, but I am new to the whole train thing...Anything you suggest though I should be able to do (I have a LONG experience of building models...Next I have an L&N GP40 to do...surely you can help with that....

-Rich

Why yes I can. I can help directly be having the L&N Gp40 sent to me to weather ($40+Shipping, pretty cheap..considering what you get..) ;)

Do you have a prototype photo of the GP40? :confused:

Looking forward to a PM from you perhaps? :cool:

I appreciate your buisness proposition, but I am into learning the weathering game for myself. Although tempting, I don't think I'll ever do it for money; I'll leave that to the talented folks like you guys! On the other hand, if you'd like to help me learn some tricks via some pics, and dialogue, I'd appreciate that. I like your rust pits..although I'm STILL having problems with that technique. Any help you can give would be helpful. Again, although it is really nice to have such an offer, I am not currently on the market for a pre-weathered loco....On the other hand...if you have ever done any Chessie/WM/Family Lines and or L&N locos in the past and you would be so kind as to show some pics of what you can do and how much THAT would cost, maybe I can start saving for the "centerpiece".....(eh-em...Chessie SD40-2....ahhhh....there I go dreaming....):rolleyes:

-Rich

Sure! I'll help you with any questions and techiniques. Heck, one day you might even be an excellent weatherer yourself. I'll teach you some pretty cool techniques when you need them. ;)

I do not have anything negative to say about the Chessie GP40, it looks great!!

I do have a question though, weren't Chessie's GP40's numbered in the 4000 - 4100 series??? I don't remember any 3600 series GP40's, either pre or post CSX.

As with anything Chessie heed your locomotive numbers carefully.
You see GP40 3779 is Chessie(B&O) while 3780 is Chessie(C&O).Then 3795 hops to Chessie(WM) Easy yes? Nope..Now look what happens.4000 goes back to the B&O GP40s!:eek: Then 4065-4099 returns to C&O numbers.
So,as Chessie modelers we must heed the numbers well.
Perfect Transportation-Yes.
Easy to follow numbering system..Not likely.

Sweet looking Chessie unit..

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I will be dipped!!! I learn something new every day!!!

I just seem to remember seeing Chessie GP40's in the 4000 to 4200 series!!! Its either that, or I just wasn't paying good attention!!! Thanks for clarifying that, and for providing the CS GP40 link!!!

Now I can model MORE CS GP40's!!!!

Well, I will be dipped!!! I learn something new every day!!!

I just seem to remember seeing Chessie GP40's in the 4000 to 4200 series!!! Its either that, or I just wasn't paying good attention!!! Thanks for clarifying that, and for providing the CS GP40 link!!!

Now I can model MORE CS GP40's!!!!

More Chessie geeps?! Thats what I would like to see. I hope to get an Athearn Chessie SD40 in the near future...I'd love to weather that thing! Anyone own one they wouldn't mind sharing a good detailed pic of? Anyone? Oh, and about the GP40's being the 4000-4200 series, I had to double check the site and my model...you had me freakin out over here! LOL!

-Rich

Back