Chain link fencing material

Snowman

I think the Woodland Scenic line of HO scale chain link fencing uses a wedding fabric called "tulle" (pronounced "tool") for the actual mesh. You can get it at any decent sized fabric store--Jo Ann's here in the US, etc.

There are different mesh sizes, colors and shapes, and you can scan most of them in detail using the mouse-over feature to get a close up look.
Unless you are modeling Folsom Prison, a quarter yard should give you enough for a lifetime.

The coils of razor wire atop the chain link fence are another problem entirely. :D If you want to hear an idea or two about how to model that, I actually have some thoughts...which might even work for modeling barbed wire fencing as well.

No model cows (or even prisoners) were injured floating these ideas. I have not actually tested them--you go first.

Last edited:
Yep! I have been using tulle for many years
IMG_8149.JPG

My wife bought a whole roll when she made my daughter's wedding dress. I have enough for 100 lifetimes.
For barbed wire, I just use some very thin wire and toothpicks for posts. See background here. You don't really have to detail the actual barbs since most folks wouldn't be able to see them anyway.
IMG_6852.JPG

I have an idea for razor wire but I haven't tried it out yet.

yes, tulle from a wedding supply store works very well for chain link fencing , i used it myself to make a horse / cow enclosure on my layout ..

If you switch to brass tube/rod for your fence post material you can have more options. My junk yard is totally enclosed with (chain link - tulle) fencing. Using a combination of rod/tube I'm able to close the siding gates and let the dogs out.........
The framework is made by bending or soldering brass rod to the gate and frame size you want.
1662566805311.png

Brass tube is cut and soldered to the gate (rod) frame to make the hinges.
1662566857458.png

Assembly is completed by imbeding the same size tube - to the desired height of your gate.
The hinge tube will rest on the tube you imbeded. Once you've established your heights remove the outer frame, apply tulle.....

CAUTION - Make sure the bottom of the gate won't short the track when closed.

When selecting brass rod/tube you'll need to have wits about you.... This gate and frame unit were made from
"K & S Precision Metals" , #8161 (3/64) rod and # 9832 (2MM x 225MM Thin Wall) tube.
You'll soon discover that rods and tubes are offered up MM, inches, thousands, thin wall and normal. From the packaging your at a loss
if tube dimensions included the id size.
Another size combination I've had success with is "K&S" # 8125 tube (1/16 x .014 (1.57mm) with rod #8160 (.032 (.81mm)

Yep! I have been using tulle for many yearsView attachment 151438
My wife bought a whole roll when she made my daughter's wedding dress. I have enough for 100 lifetimes.
For barbed wire, I just use some very thin wire and toothpicks for posts. See background here. You don't really have to detail the actual barbs since most folks wouldn't be able to see them anyway.
View attachment 151439
I have an idea for razor wire but I haven't tried it out yet.
Brilliant detail with the vines growing on the fence.

I built an N-Trak module several years ago. I used some wired edge ribbon to represent chain link fencing in a couple of places.............

058.JPG

065.JPG

While not totally to scale, it got the point across to the general public. They always recognized it as chain-link fencing, while rarely realizing what it really was until I told them. :)

Back