CGW F5A Build Question

adsbnsf

Hello all,

I am in the process of doing a 6 unit lash up of CGW locomotives. One that I am working on is an F5A CGW 113-C in Maroon Dip paint scheme below.

The question I have to others that have done CGW F-Units is that do they have Diaphragms on them? I don't see them in the images I have, but according to my 1965 CGW Diesel Data book they came with them on all F3, F5, and F7. Any help would be appreciated. If they do I plan to use American Limited Working Diaphragms.

Thanks,

ADSBNSF

Picture 005.jpg

Rear where Diaphragm would go.
Picture 007.jpg

Last edited:
All of those diesels had them when they left the factory as new. But over the years, as the solid sets were broken down into smaller sets and separate locos, the maintenance on the diaphragms got to be a major headache. The inside of the diaphragm became subject to the elements and the damage caused by this and the rapid deterioration caused by this damage led to the majority of RR's to remove the diaphragms.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of those diesels had them when they left the factory as new. But over the years, as the solid sets were broken down into smaller sets and separate locos, the maintenance on the diaphragms got to be a major headache. The inside of the diaphragm became subject to the elements and the damage caused by this and the rapid deterioration caused by this damage led to the majority of RR's to remove the diaphragms.

Thanks Cjcrescent for the info.

ADSBNSF

Back