Center Sill Orientation

biomedlives

I am building two refrigerator cars from Ambroid kits. The center sill in one kit is shaped like a T, the other like a U. From the instructions and diagrams that came with the kits, it's not clear to me whether the "top" or the "bottom" of each sill should be next to the car floor, thinking of each as its corresponding letter.
Thanks very much in advance.

First of all, welcome aboard. I am not familiar with Ambroid kits, so I cannot help directly. I think though that the flat side of either should rest against the floor.

It might help if you told us WHICH Ambroid cars you are building since they produced dozens of different kits.

Based on the instructions on line for the ACL car the flat side goes on the bottom (away from the floor of the car), so there is a continuous surface to attach the brake rigging to.

Haven't found any instructions for the REA car on line. If the instructions show a wider flat mounting surface for the brake rigging then the cross part of the T goes on the bottom (away from the floor). If the center sill is shown really narrow, then the cross piece goes against the floor.

Back