Celotex brand insulation foam.

I was in my local Fleet Farm today and noticed a large sheet of foam insulation called Celotex, it had "Insulating sheathing" printed on it. I guess its a brand name. This has a silver foil like appearing layer on the top and bottom. however, it wasnt foil, it was tearable like a sort of silver colored paper attached to it but I suppose it could have a foil like property to it but you could certainly tear small bits of the layer off like paper. It was a little beat up around the edges and is probably why I found it in a cart of a few clearance items in the building dept but it was cheap. Less then 10 bucks for what looked like a 4X8 sheet.

So basically, its a tan colored foam with a silver paper like meterial on the top and bottom. Im thinking its just some other companys product to compete with the pink and blue stuff. Is anyone familiar with this stuff or ever tried using it for a model railroad?

I've seen similar stuff, but why bother with it since you'd prolly have to strip off the silver backing? Extruded foam (pink, blue, green) is cheap...

Thats what my shop is insulated with. The foil backing will tear off very easily if needed. Not sure if it would be any better then the pink or blue stuff as I've not used any of these products yet for scenery purposes, however the foil backed stuff might be easier to color as its already sort of a natural color.

I talked to one of our club members today that is a retired carpenter about this. He said its not much different then the pink and blue stuff. He also said because it has that top and bottom layer, you could probably glue stuff to it easier too.

I was thinking about grabbing it to use as a base for my first 4X8. Then I dont really need to risk any downfalls if it doesnt work for carving mountains. Which by looking at it, I just dont see why it wouldnt work for that either. However, with the sucess and popularity of the pink and blue stuff. I want my first foam mountain expierence to be using that stuff instead of this Celotex foam just in case I run into problems. With the pink and blue stuff being more popular, that means there is a lot more folks to give thier advice instead of going into unknown territory using an unfamiliar product. They really only wanted 7 bucks for the entire sheet anyways so grabbing it for a base it not a bad idea.

I saw a demo in 2004 by Joel Bragdon of Bragdon Industries using the Celotex board. They thought if better than styrene foam.

http://www.bragdonent.com/gfguide.htm

Harold

From your link:

“Celotex” ... quite fire resistant; while they will burn if exposed directly to a very hot flame they will extinguish when the heat source is removed. Also it does not melt when it is exposed to flame, hot glue or solvents

Interesting!

I had some scraps of the Celotex sheeting left over from remodeling a house. I peeled off the foil facing and glued it together with Elmer's. Worked fine for me.

Back