Cattle ranching -- HO scale

Charles Smiley

cspmovies
I now have a reason for running stock cars (cattle, not NASCAR). :D

I have lots of little details to add yet. The painted backdrop and background hills had to be built up in this section of the layout before the fencing could be put in. The backdrop is about 40 continuous feet long so it took a while.

Very nice job. The detail is amazing and the backdrop blends in nicely. I can picture cattle being herded into the stock car already. Makes me want to pick up some cattle cars now. Can't wait to see more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, very nice!
Great job blending the backdrop in, what you need now is one of those mooing sound modules...

Excellent!..Like they said, great blend. Your design, ground cover, and weathering is spot on. Great scene!

great work. You are really utilizing you space nicely. I would like to have something like that on my layout.

Thanks all for the nice comments.

I had this little space and thought about cramming in all the little structures I built over the years. But instead, I kept the wide-open spaces theme. Cattle pens fill that bill well. Plus, it should need switching every day in the cow season.

I'm glad I did it that way. I still need a place for all those structures though. Hmmm, maybe an extension to the layout is next.

it should need switching every day in the cow season.
Well gee that season doesn't last very long. It's only the first few days of deer season until the farmers put their cattle in the barns for safety. :D

Fantastic and realistic looking Charles. Excellent work and I agree with Rico on blending the background into the scene.
Great modeling
Cheers
Willis

True enough.

But on a Model Railroad it can be the same day of the year over and over - to match the scenery.

Kind of like being trapped in the movie "Ground Hog Day". So a "fast clock but a slow calendar works OK. :cool:

Speaking of movies... My daughter thinks my town looks like the one in the original movie "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". Maybe I need a few farm trucks with 'seed pods' in the back. :eek:

Say Willis,
Are you saying there's a difference between a Cow and a Deer when hunting? They both look the same to me, no wonder the last one I shot was so big! And here I thought I was keeping the Deer population down!?

A walthers windmill and some other details are finished.

The area to the left of the siding and cattle loader needs a barn. I'm thinking of the one on the link below. It has a classic shape to it.

Anyone build this one from Showcase Miniatures? The other barns I've seen don't really look like anything typical to California circa 1950.

http://www.showcaseminiatures.com/pics/2007lr.jpg

This scene definitely inspires me since I myself am building a beef processing plant and need to build cattle pen team tracks not only at the factory but on the other side of the layout for the farmers to sell their livestock.

You really have a keen eye for detail and I appreciate. It was so good that I thought I was looking at a painted picture. Really!

Good job. Keep us posted.

Manny
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer,
San Antonio de Bexar Railroad Company

Showcase Miniatures barn 'raising'

This laser kit is really great. It even has internal framing that shows through the missing boards.

It has a distressed-wood finish so all I had to do was dry-brush and stipple artist acrylic paints here and there . No Floquil and no airbrush to clean up. :cool:

This laser kit is really great. It even has internal framing that shows through the missing boards.

It has a distressed-wood finish so all I had to do was dry-brush and stipple artist acrylic paints here and there . No Floquil and no airbrush to clean up. :cool:

Whose laser kit is it? That is very inspiring! You should send it in to the modeling magazines for photo contests. Awesome!

Back