cats on a coal drag....

wongsing

Despite the bad luck I stated with my recent ebay purchase, at least I had fun with some of my other new toys. These shots were taken by my best friends at our local club. Hope you enjoy....
DSC_8519.jpg

2 GP40-2's and a GP30 are head end power of this coal train taken around in the fictional mid to late 80's right before the CSX merger :( ...
DSC_8518.jpg

a different angle of the same train...
DSC_8516.jpg

The two GP40-2's have tons of custom details including rebuilt cabs from Cannon and Company. The blue door on the front of this unit shows the heritage of the locomotive it came from...
DSC_8522.jpg

...And then there were the two pushers and the caboose bringing up the rear. (I have plans to weather the caboose soon as well as the two unrealistically clean GP40-2's on the head end BTW...)
DSC_8526.jpg

DSC_8527.jpg

Later that day we caught another coal train coming back down the grade, but due to my friend not handing over the rest of the pics, this is all I have for right now. If anyone is interested in seeing more of this power, I will post them soon!
Here are some shots of a yard most of us railfans would give perhaps anything to see in real life....
DSC_8512.jpg

DSC_8514.jpg

DSC_8510.jpg

I hope you all enjoyed! I have tons more pics of these locos and more on the way. As soon as my friend sends them this way, I'll post them. Thanks for looking!

-Rich

Nice models and great pics. I did see the Cotton Belt Bicentennial tunnel motor, the ATSF untis, and even the Black Widow F's in person but never in the same yard as Katy and Chessie units. Nice trip back in time.

thanks for the kind words...I have some more pics coming from my friend on the other side of the layout. I can take some more shots, but they will not be of that layout now that I am back from leave. As soon as I get them though, they will be posted!

-Rich

I remember seeing so many lash-ups like yours during the early 1980's on the B&O's Washington branch thru College Park, MD. The gp30 sets off the adjoining 40-2's beautifully! Thanx for the memories...

That sure was a fun day! The coal train in the pics was pretty large...Maybe not large enough to NEED the SD40 pushers, but the sheer length made it believeable in HO scale. Because of the problems though when running the two helpers on the end, my club has now elected to designate someone to run the helper locomotives during future operating sessions! That will make things alittle more interesting for sure. The Cotton Belt tunnel motor belongs to my friend Bradley and the SF Bicentennial belongs to my friend Kyle. If Chessie had a Bicentennial unit you'd better belive I'd already have it! I will post the rest of the pics as soon as they are available and thanks everyone for looking! BTW: I ALSO liked the way that GP30 looked with the two GP40-2's...

-Rich

Back