Cardstock Buildings: Front and Center?

troyphoto

Snarky Old Fart (in training)
I've recently discovered Metcalfe buildings out of the UK. Looking online only so far (Covid, so no trains shows to attend yet).

The British look of the architecture is something I'm definitely after for one front and center areas of my N Scale layout.

Normally, with a plastic kit, I'd be thinking of weathering, painting bits and bobs, adding detail and texture to take the kit beyond the sterile plastic look. But, this is cardstock. No texture on it to drybrush, or put a filter/wash onto.

Have any of you had success weathering card kits like the Metcalfe ones?
Do you use these structures in a front and center location, or try to disguise them in the rear somewhere?

Here's one vid (Peaks47) I found on YouTube, and I'm intrigued by this gent's weathering of the Metcalfe kits.

Thoughts? Examples? Post your pics?

thanks!

We have some cardstock structures on our club layout. For weathering you should seal with a flat coat first, then stick to dry methods, like Pan Pastels, Doc Bragdons or AIM weathering powders. There are several gel style compounds from Liquitex, or just use wax at the base so when you fill in with your scenery materials you won't damage the walls with your glue/water mixture. I notice that the fellow who did the video didn't use any sort of wetting agent on his fill. He just slopped white glue/water over everything, then removed the buildings. I wouldn't do it that way, but that's me.

Back