Card Models?

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Was wondering how good these "Card" type models are compared to plastic or wood. Are there better makes of Card Structures? Am thinking about them for my N Scale layout at some point.

They're all right for background stuff, but I wouldn't use them for foreground. Still can't beat wood for wood buildings and plastic for the modern stuff. I think Scalescenes still has a free one you can build. I found it kind of hard to hide the white edges where I cut out the pieces. I was all thumbs trying to put it together as well. I actually found it harder to build than a craftsman kit. I really suggest you try a free card model first to see if you like building them.

I have used about a dozen from different manufacturers, mostly as background structures. Quality varies. There are many "freebies" out there on the net. Most sites also explain how to get their stuff converted from one scale to another. rlundy90 mentioned the white edges; I use a gray Sharpie to eliminate them. No, they are not as detailed as other modeling mediums, but they can be an inexpensive way to populate an area with structures. Since you are modeling in "N" scale, the lack of detailing may not be an issue from 3' away. It's worth downloading a couple of the "freebies" to check them out. I print mine on 65# paper and do not have to use too many stiffeners. And yes there is a learning curve, but if you screw one up, you just print another! Here's a picture of one that I did about six months ago.
03-09-17 001.jpg
Please note that I did add some white-painted stripwood to the door and window frames to give it a slightly more 3D effect.

Willie

Sometimes, you have to take what you can get when looking for a particular type of structure for a certain spot on your layout. You can try to upgrade a card stock structure by adding separate windows, doors, and detail items, and with pencils a bit of shading of printed details can add depth. Another option is using the cardstock structure as a template on wood or plastic stock and make an entire new structure.

I have used about a dozen from different manufacturers, mostly as background structures. Quality varies. There are many "freebies" out there on the net. Most sites also explain how to get their stuff converted from one scale to another. rlundy90 mentioned the white edges; I use a gray Sharpie to eliminate them. No, they are not as detailed as other modeling mediums, but they can be an inexpensive way to populate an area with structures. Since you are modeling in "N" scale, the lack of detailing may not be an issue from 3' away. It's worth downloading a couple of the "freebies" to check them out. I print mine on 65# paper and do not have to use too many stiffeners. And yes there is a learning curve, but if you screw one up, you just print another! Here's a picture of one that I did about six months ago.
View attachment 63026
Please note that I did add some white-painted stripwood to the door and window frames to give it a slightly more 3D effect.

Willie

Thanks Willie. Still not sure if they are what I am after; however, for buildings in the background, they could work fine and be a cheap option.

Sometimes, you have to take what you can get when looking for a particular type of structure for a certain spot on your layout. You can try to upgrade a card stock structure by adding separate windows, doors, and detail items, and with pencils a bit of shading of printed details can add depth. Another option is using the cardstock structure as a template on wood or plastic stock and make an entire new structure.

Jim,

That is a good thought - using the printed card stock as a template ... that would/could work for me, thanks

Availability is the big question. I looked all over the net for 1:160 airplane hangers and found one source, in cardstock. Skill level is another question. With my lack of skill and with my physical condition, I can't get too complex or too picky. Therefore, I've decided to just ignore aesthetics in favor of general representation.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

I am the other way when it comes to the appearance/aesthetics of the structures that I use. If something doesn't resemble reality then I'd prefer to look else where. Of course, there are some exceptionally talented people out there that can turn an every day "thing" into something that is very realistic looking - I'm not one of those people and can only wish I had such a talent. As such, I have to get the most realistic scenery I can (within the budgetary confines) and go with that.

Back