Car Carrier - Lonestar kit (no longer sold)

railBuilderDhd

Here is a sample of a car carrier I'm working on. I wanted to wait till I was done to post but since there was a discussion on this before I figured I would post it now. I've got a lot to do to the truck before it is done but so far I'm happy with the way it is looking. I no next time I'll not paint the rack part that the cars drive on. I think this is my entire car collection on the truck. I really need to get more non-truck vehicles. :D
photo1.png

photo2.png

photo4.png

A close-up of the detail hydraulics I'm adding now.
photo3.png

Here is the cab only. I don't have the inside or detail parts like fuel tank on yet.
cabOnly.png

The tractor is an Athearn dump truck that I had to extend the frame on as well as the drive train for the rear carrier to fit.
photo7.png

photo6.png

A shot before painting
photo5.png

I would like to hear comments.

Dave

WOW, Like that car Carrier. You've done & excellent job & when you're finished that will be a museum piece. Was that a kit or a new build?

Wow, good work! Those ain't the easiest things to put together, nicely done!
I've seen a few of those tip over when standing still.

Lookin' good.One question though,what did you use to stretch the Athearn frame? I have a few straight rigs I want to build using the Athearn chassis and some will need a frame stretch.:confused:

Great lookin' rig, Dave!:cool: Is that going to be parked beside a Waschlager Motors car dealership on your layout?

I see your facing the same dilemma as I do with auto racks, now that I'm going "retro" (modeling early 1970's): Finding enough vehicles to load onto it. I think I'll just have to setup mine to always run as empties. At an average price of ~$6 per vehicle, 15 vehicles per auto rack, for 7 auto racks - that's money I can't afford to divert from more critical MRR needs!:eek:

Thanks for the comments guys.

Larry - this was a kit sold in limited numbers. From what I understand it was the early run for the Lonestar Models (http://www.lonestarmodelsinc.com/catalog/auto_carrier.php) that was re-engineered for the one that i now sold as a build truck.

Catt -
I used white styrene to extend the frame. There are round and rectangle pieces as you can see in the one photo.

Ken -
I actually have a few more 1970's cars that I didn't place on the truck that I got on-line and if you keep looking there are some really good deals on vehicles. I think I got a bunch of these for only a few bucks each. Yeah, it adds up quick but I'm now buying a car or 2 each time I order something I need. That way I can build up my collection and it's not a big bit of my budget at one time.

Dave

That thing is looking great Dave! Awesome work so far :D When will the 2nd axle be added to the trailer though? LOL cuz it looks a little funky right now the way it is :D

The second axle will be added after the first is removed and more details and painting are done. I still a lot to get done on this before I call it done, I just wanted to share with you all before it's done.
Dave

NO instructions made it hard to work out. That's why I got 2 kits one to learn on and the second for the real one. This is the one I'm learning on.
I wish I had purchased more of the kits when they had them. After I got them and tried to get more they were gone.
Dave

Yeah, LoneStar's brass autocarrier can still be found on different sites (ie; ZyconModels.com). Every now and then I have seen them on eBay. They seem to go for anywhere around $135-200.00

Back