Capreol Model Railroad

stripes

The Northern Ontario Railroad Museum & www.railroadtown.ca have joined forces to create an educational module layout that will be brought to schools and malls to promote The town of Capreol & Railroad history.
This layout will never be expanded or grouped with any clubs layout at shows so we are free to build as our finances allow and to our own specs.
Your input and ideas are welcome. The layout will be HO Scale because we have already had over $700.00 in rolling stock and Locomotives in HO donated to the project. Today we will be picking up the material to build these modules as it was donated by a local lumber yard (Tim-BR Mart)
I will keep you updated as we move forward.

This is what we have planned so far.

#1 To simulate what we can fit of the Capreol yard:

CapreolYard0001.jpg

#2 This is the overall dimensions of the finished modules:

layout0003-466x600.png

#3 This is how each module will be built:

BancroftTop.png

I will post more soon!

David

Looks like an interesting project. You'll have to do a fair amount of selective compression to get the general look but I'm sure it will look great. I'm looking forward to pictures of your progress.

Very cool! Best of luck in putting it all together.

Would you guys bring it to the annual summer show in Bracebridge when it is completed? I'd love to see it.

Mark

Where do I start??

Ok, all the wood has been donated and was picked up yesterday. We have a little old German cabinet maker who is going to help construct the modules so they will be square and strong.
What we need is HELP!!! :eek:

No one at the museum including myself has ever built a moduler layout so we have questions which will be followed by probably a million more before we are done. I have been trying both xtrac and right track software to put together a plan, but to be honest I really need help. We are going to ask Atlas to become a major sponsor of the layout by donating the track we will need, but we need to get the track plan right before we even know what to ask for!

Jas, buddy any time you could spare to help would be awesome! I know you are propably still working 2 jobs and have your family. Do you know any of the guys from the Sudbury Modular club? If We could get their help this would go smoother.

The other thing is we hope to have this layout at least presentable enough in the fall to be able to start bringing it to schools, and malls. Which brings me to Mark`s question. We would be honored to be part of your show. I have set up there twice as a vendor and it is one of the finest shows with great people! Especially the chinese buffet!:D

Thanks all!

David

If anyone wants to coment or help my office # is 705-858-1206

Benchwork done!

Well with donations and help we have finished the benchwork for the 4
moduals. The City of Sudbury has givin us a nice clean room for a few months to work on the layout!

layout005.png

More to follow!

Good looking benchwork. Looks like you've got a good cabinet maker to help you. I'd love to give you a hand but it's kind of a long drive from Alabama. :) Feel free to ask anything you want and I'm sure we'll all jump in and even give some of the right answers. :D The first thing I'd do is run through the tutorial that comes with XtrakCAD and come up with a preliminary track plan. When you've done that, post it here so we can have a look. I wouldn't waste my time with the Atlas software. It's much too limiting for what you want to do.

Back