Can you say OOPs - attn Jerome :-)

A buddie with CN sent me these recently (my apologies if these are a repost). Last time I saw a frame fold up like this it was on my 1977 Mustang II. :)

The story: "These photos were taken August 10, 1982. Wrong tracked eastbound passenger hit a westbound freight on the north track just east of Pemberton crossing in Ingersoll."

1982-08-12_ingersoll_5.png

1982-08-12_ingersoll_1.png

1982-08-12_ingersoll_2.png

1982-08-12_ingersoll_3.png

1982-08-12_ingersoll_4.png

Mark

Check the 9629 unit out, the doors still working up front, thats what i call a safety cab.

Lots of people don't realize just how much energy is stored up in a moving train, i'll hazard a guess and say that was a slowish speed collision, under 25 mph, anyone know different i'd like to know.

Uh Grandeman? I think I'd go with OUCH:eek: !,Or at least maybe, OOH MAN,that had to hurt. Call the scrapyard.What a way to end the operating career of a vetern F unit just like you said friend. . Again I say OUCH.William.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark, That would be a pretty easy one to do actually. I wonder how they cleaned it up though?? That F unit wouldn't sit on the tracks again, I think they would have had to torch it right there and cut the nose off before they could move that wreck???

Man that crumpled more then a compact car. Wonder if thats where they cot the idea to make cars crumple on impact?

That is a testament to the CN Safety cab for sure. I bed the nose door was opened before impact, so the crew could abandon ship!

The FP9 was scrapped, but the GP40-2W is still in service on KCS I believe. At least it was in 2006:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=132391
New number in this pic, and the number has since been changed to 2918

You're right, Steve, this picture sure shows why safety cabs really safe. It looks like the passenger train was moving, probably at around 25-30 mph, when it hit the standing freight. The amazing thing is how well the lead F unit absorbed the shock. It looks like the B unit suffered a little damaged but everything stayed upright. For some reason, maybe because of the changes made to the safety cab, it looks like a lot of the forces were transmitted right from the locomotive frame back through the freight cars. I can't tell where that boxcar is in relation to the locomotive but I suspect it was coupled to the locomotive. It would be interesting to know more about the circumsances of this crash. Sure did bring out the suits, didn't it? :)

I thought the same thing about the suits. And my, they were nice suits. :)

Just a thought though - I'm thinking that the freight may have been moving. The damage to the freight cars (riding up on each other) would make more sense then. Otherwise the freight engine would have had to be pushed back awful hard to cause that sharp a reaction (if that makes sense).

Mark

In looking at those pictures again, I wonder if both trains were moving? Seems like the damage to the F unit is too bad for it to be the only train moving but there's also no derailment behind the A unit. The freight has very little damage to the locomotive but catastrophic damage to the freight cars, much like what happened to the F unit. Almost seems like two nearly equal forces being transferred in two directions at the same moment in time. I hope someone can come up with the originial story.

Woohoo! Thanks to our friend Google, I found an article on this wreck - see the article and lots more pics:

http://www.geocities.com/cnrailpics2/via.htm

Jim, you were dead on! According to the article the freight was stationary. :)

And as for the poor FP9's sticky end...looks kinda like a fish about to be filleted...

via13.jpg

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Found some info here: http://cnlines.ca/CNcyclopedia/loco/gp40/

Rotor

CN 9629
GP40-2L(W), class GF-430c, built 1975
damaged in collision 10 August 1982 at Ingersoll ON (mile 59 of the Dundas Subdivision). As the lead unit ahead of 9499 and 9565, collided head-on with VIA train 82 pulled by FP9A 6537 and F9B 6632. Repaired and returned to service.
sold to Helm Leasing 19 Aug 1996 for service on Kansas City Southern

CN 6537
FP9A, class GPA-17e, built June 1958
retired from CN roster and transferred to VIA 31 March 1978
wrecked 10 August 1982 while leading 6632 in headon collision with GP40 9629, 9499 and 9565 at Ingersol ON (mile 59 Dundas Subdivision)

Good finds, Mark and Rotor. I thought the freight was stationary but it's hard to tell in wreck photos without an overview of the whole scene. I wonder how #82 could not have seen that freight train on the same track? Seems like a flat and straight track for quite a distance before the wreck scene and it would have been full daylight at the time of the wreck. The report doesn't mention any adverse weather conditions.

From the new pictures, I can now see the freight had three units. The force of the collision must have been transferred directly through the locomotive frames with no visible damage. It looks like the two damaged freight cars are at least five cars back in the train while the rest of the cars around them look fine. This would seem to be incredible until you look at the first car damaged. It's a farly old 40' box car with Bettendorf trucks. These trucks were not secured to the car - the weight of the box car is what kept them in place. The modern cars in front had better truck to car connections. As soon as the force of the collision hit the boxcar, it was launched off its trucks and into the grain hopper. You can see that the grain hopper, (which was almost new at the time), even though it sufffered extreme damage, is still attached to the trucks. I guess this wreck is a good illustration why the AAR changed the rules to mandate positive connections between the trucks and the bolsters and car frames.

Jerome, that one just crys out for two great flat car loads. :) None of this wipmy bent sheet metal, torched apart at the scene and hauled away in two pieces.

Back