Can you run intermodal on this?

1991conrail

So I have a small intermodal/trailer train, I'm only going to have like 2 actual intermodal rolling stock because i have a 22 inch radius, My local hobby shop owner said that 2 should run fine, the rest of the train will be 50' flat cars w/ a 45" trailer, and find some other things, so do the point, can a few 69' well cars make the right part of this turnout:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=3377

Thanks a lot ( I know I use bachmann e-z track, but i just have a small 4x7 layout with a small extension and its my first layout )

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you need to define what you mean by intermodal a little clearer. If you're talking the interconnected double stack well cars I think the switch won't be an issue. My son bought one of thr Athrean BB sets a number of years ago and it always had issues with rises in the track. Because they sit so low any vertical transition can cause problems. Frankly we never could it to run very well.:rolleyes:

I think you need to define what you mean by intermodal a little clearer. If you're talking the interconnected double stack well cars I think the switch won't be an issue. My son bought one of thr Athrean BB sets a number of years ago and it always had issues with rises in the track. Because they sit so low any vertical transition can cause problems. Frankly we never could it to run very well.:rolleyes:
ah sorry for not clarifying its a double stack well car 69' by walthers http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/932-4303.

At 69' you are pushing the limit on the radius of that switch. I can't say for sure but it sounds kind of 'iffy'. Good luck if you try it.

I use all nickel-silver EZ-Track on my layout including several Bachmann #4 turnouts. The largest freight cars I've run through them forward and backward are 60 footers and I've run some Athearn heavyweight passenger cars through them as well. The largest locos I've run through them are Proto 2000 E units, Athearn Alco PA2/PB2's, Proto 2000 PA1, Athearn SD40-2's, a pair of SDP40F's and a Mehano 2-10-2. Add that all the curves are 18" radius.

Hi Conrail,

I've always had an interest in running TOFC/COFC trains, with their 89' TT flat cars, however with smaller layouts, never gotten them, as was concerned about them operating reliably. The way I've gone instead is with 50' piggyback cars, from either Athearn or Con-Cor years back. Some have the 40' trailers, others have the earlier, shorter trailers. I also have used the 5 unit Impact cars from Athearn, without much problem, but I think Gary is right in that they can be very sensitive to 'vertical kinks.'
Ultimately, its your layout, with whatever esthetic pleases you. I've never been that concerned about 'prototype fidelity,' (saying that as mostly a freelancer), instead concerned about operational reliability. Its frustrating to have to constantly re-rail things, or re-couple things constantly, due to bad track, or too tight clearances-sort of like the prototypes have to contend with.

Good luck with things!
Carl

Unless the car has a ton of underbody detail preventing truck swing, an 89' car can make an 18" radius with no problems, even though it will look horrible. Your car should run fine through that switch although it may overhang the inside of the curve.

Another reason I avoided the 89' cars for a long time, is I heard they weren't weighted right, and frequently derailed.. That was in the late 70's-there's been some room for improvement since then. By the time I had the money to spend, I figured the shorter cars looked better, on my tighter curves.
Railrunner cars are another way to go, for trailers at least. There's also the Triple Crown type Railroader option too, depending on your period and prototype.

For intermodal, I use Walthers and SOME Atlas cars. Why? Athearn and some Atlas cars are made of PLASTIC with insufficient weight to run the cars empty. Walthers uses die-cast metal bodies on their cars, dips them in paint, then prints all the lettering on. Even the old kit cars are metal. The metal body makes the car weigh more so that you can run the car empty without any problems related to being underweight.

So I have a small intermodal/trailer train, I'm only going to have like 2 actual intermodal rolling stock because i have a 22 inch radius, My local hobby shop owner said that 2 should run fine, the rest of the train will be 50' flat cars w/ a 45" trailer, and find some other things, so do the point, can a few 69' well cars make the right part of this turnout:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=3377

Thanks a lot ( I know I use bachmann e-z track, but i just have a small 4x7 layout with a small extension and its my first layout )

Watch your coupler swings. Especially on reverse curves. 69' cars should go through the turnout without a hitch. It will be the reverse curve that may rear it's ugly head. Good luck. Phil

Back